Choppy Playback on Apple TV

BoneBoxer

BoneBoxer

Ok our nest tvOS beta build will have an updated mpv player so we should re-evaluate with that. Thanks.

Okay. Any ETA on that beta?

• Like 1

Before that, for a couple of years straight I had chronic problems with Apple TV (and ONLY Apple TV) playback via Plex and it was clear that Plex wasn't really prioritizing fixes for Apple TV, and had no plans to do so in the near future, This was why I made the jump to Emby.

You jumped to soon, the last 12 months, Plex completely has re-vamped their Apple TV app. They have had more beta builds and revisions this year, than Emby had for the Emby Apple TV app.

Plex fixed many many months ago this year for their Apple TV app:

1. Automatic match Content Dynamic Range....
  2. Automatic match Content Frame Rate....
  3. Play HDR content....
  4. Use Apple TV subtitle settings, for subtitle size and color display in Plex
  5. Grid style program guide for Live TV
  6. See what's "On Now" while you are watching a Live TV channel without stopping playback
  7. Start a recording while you are watching a Live TV channel from Info panel without stopping playback
  8. and more...

For items 1 to 7 we can say: "Emby can't do that yet on the Apple TV", but a new beta is coming.... so maybe :rolleyes:

• Like 1

BoneBoxer

You jumped to soon, the last 12 months, Plex completely has re-vamped their Apple TV app. They have had more beta builds and revisions this year, than Emby had for the Emby Apple TV app.

Based on your comment here I re-installed Plex server and gave it another go. Unfortunately, all this time later I have the exact same problem I had before. Plex frequently stops video dead and complains that my local network is too slow for streaming. However, just as with Emby, this ONLY happens with the Apple TV client. The client for my LG TV and other iOS devices plays the same files without any problems whatsoever.

It's a shame that Apple TV users are such a low priority to both Emby and Plex. I suppose they will say that Apple TV makes up a low percentage of their user base and so they can only do much to support it, but at some point, device support becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you just leave Apple TV users out in the cold by giving them an unusable product for months at a time, of course those numbers aren't going to grow! How could they?

It's really a shame since I shelled out money for Emby Premiere, which turns out to be money thrown away if they won't support me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
vdatanet

With latest beta version, you can enable the Apple TV native player and match frame rate and dynamic range are taken into account, but HEVC is always transcoded so if you have HEVC HDR, HDR is lost.

You can send a PM to @@ebr asking for a TestFlight invitation. Remember to provide him your App Store login mail.

• Like 1

Thank you, i have PM him for an invite.

No i have no HEVC HDR Content for now. Only h.264 SDR in 1080p (the normal mkv with DTS ;))

vdatanet

Thank you, i have PM him for an invite.

No i have no HEVC HDR Content for now. Only h.264 SDR in 1080p (the normal mkv with DTS ;))

Native player will play fine those files, if you play a DTS track will be remuxed to AC3.

• 2 years later...
Canavese

I also have choppy playback.   It didn't show itself until maybe 15 minutes into the movie.   

I couldn't fix it and so I tried another player (Infuse) which worked fine.  

My server (Apple Mini M1 with USB external hard drive) and apple tv are both ethernet.

Where should I start to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

HI, we found the reason for the playback stutter in the recent app update and we'll get getting an update out to the store to resolve this as quickly as we can. Thanks.

vdatanet
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, please try Emby for Apple TV 1.6.3+, which is currently rolling out. Thanks.

The iOS version is available, but not yet for tvOS.

1 minute ago, vdatanet said:

The iOS version is available, but not yet for tvOS.

It's released according to what we see from apple, so I would think you'll have it anytime now.

vdatanet
21 hours ago, Luke said:

It's released according to what we see from apple, so I would think you'll have it anytime now.

It's weird, it's not available yet. 

Has anyone seen the update?

vdatanet

Sorry, I was waiting for the beta version. I hadn't noticed that it was released directly as generally available. I got it!

• Thanks 1

treebees

I just tried to watch some recorded TV (1080i Mpeg2) on my Apple TV 4th gen last night, and the video was playing at about half speed while the audio was normal, so it was out of sync and unwatchable.  The same content plays fine on my iPad Air 3rd gen.

I checked and the Emby software version is 1.6.3.  Could this update have messed things up?

I've attached the ffmpeg-transcode log.

ffmpeg-transcode-aae6ae12-7d20-4f2f-9dde-0cc4e6a4dd29_1.txt

Edited by treebees

• 1 month later...