[General] Set a rule to convert ALL media automatically?

rrowland
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

rrowland

I feel like I must be missing something basic here, but I only seem to be able to tag an individual movie or series to be converted.

All media I'm downloading is coming in as MKV 720p x264. I'm able to convert to MP4 same quality quite quickly and efficiently using the auto convert function because all I'm really changing is the container, however I'd like to set a rule so that ALL media under Movies and TV Shows are automatically converted, including new series and all movies, without me having to manually create a conversion rule for each of them.

Is this possible? Am I missing an obvious setting somewhere?

Edited by rrowland

rrowland

Hmm no, I think I must be missing something for sure :)

The only way I've discovered to set a conversion rule is to go directly to a series or movie, click the "..." and then conversion. When I first went to settings -> conversion it gave me the message "No downloads found. Create download jobs using the Download buttons found throughout the app.", which is a bit confusing. Once I added one conversion rule on a series or movie, it replaced that message with the series/movie status.

Could you point me to where I'd find the parent folder settings? I've spent a couple hours poking around on the menus but I don't think I've found that yet.

Edited by rrowland

• Solution
Happy2Play

Assuming the user has "Allow media conversion" enabled in their user profile it will be on the three dot menu for the library.

• Like 1

rrowland

Assuming the user has "Allow media conversion" enabled in their user profile it will be on the three dot menu for the library.

Ah-ha! I see. From the main page, the "TV Shows" and "Movies" categories have a `...` button that has the "Convert" item listed. This was a bit hard to find because if I open the library and click the "..." on the top right of the page I get a totally different settings menu! I would have expected these settings to be in this menu (the top right ... in a library) or in the "Conversions" page in the server settings as well.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Happy2Play

But at the same time you are looking for a option that does not exist, as there is no automated process for new media.

Actually there is, if you create a conversion job on a folder, you can set it to process newly added content.

• 4 months later...

If I set "Conversion" on a folder at the library level - e.g. for recorded TV Shows and set the "Convert newly added content", I understand that it will convert new epiisodes of existing series that I have already recorded, but will this apply to a new series?

I suppose the question is:

1. Does it apply a tag to all child folders (series) at the time of request (So new folders or series won't have this set)

or

2. Does it place the "convert all future" setting at the library folder level where I requested it (and is therefore able to convert new series)?

I am asking because I don't think I understand the "Conversions" setting page - The information on the page looks historical rather than as a setting that could be changed.  It lists shows that have been converted, but I can't see how I would change or delete the settings that I applied to the library folder.  There are similar settings, but they seem to relate to a "Download" and I can't find any reference to which folder they are applied to.

What am I missing?

Edited by axxe

Great! That's what I wanted.  So how do I see what is set up to convert?  ``i presume it is on the "Conversions" page of the settings?  When I click on the settings there it doesn't tell me which folder the conversions apply to...

EDIT:

Don't worry, I think I may now have found it.  Not sure what I did before, but the "Recorded TV" library now appears in the "Conversions" screen so I could delete or modify from there.

Edited by axxe

• 11 months later...
bcm00re
On 12/7/2019 at 9:28 PM, Happy2Play said:

I confirmed that I have that checked, but I don't see any conversion stuff under the three-dot menu in Library.  I also looked at the Conversions menu and nothing appears setup there.  I do have things setup to create thumbnails (as a scheduled task) but I would also like it if my mpeg2 TV programs could be automatically converted to mpeg4 nightly (and assuming no errors it replaces the original recording).

I have HDHR Extend that has built-in hardware conversion that I had been using but its quality (even on the best setting) is just not good -- at least for sports.  So I have turned off it's encoding and would like for Emby (well my PC really) to do it.  When it does that for live TV streaming -- to view on Roku -- it looks notably better than the HDHR's hardware encoding.

Also I have another HDHR tuner -- is there a way to tell Emby which to use first (and only use the other when the preferred one is completely in-use)?

bcm00re

Found it.  I was in Library in Manage Emby Server.  That said I have some questions:

1) I changed settings then hit the Convert button and nothing seemed to happen.  I then hit the back arrow, then went back to Covert and none of the selections I made were retained.  I see now each time that Covert button is pressed it creates a new Conversions task.  I would think you should drop the window after the button is selected to avoid confusion (and people unknowingly creating a bunch of Conversion tasks).

2) What does original quality mean?  Does that leave the video untouched and I just get a new wrapper?  

3) Can I not just have it only do new recordings?  All my old recordings have already been encoded with HDHR Extend's hardware encoding so I don't want to encode another time (and just lose quality).

Edited by bcm00re

bcm00re

On #2 above, I did a test.  It appears the video is mainly just deinterlaced when going to mpeg4.  I did notice some other video parameters (like Profile and Level) changed as well as some audio things (like Codec and Profile and even bitrate on the 5.1 track).  I assume all that is to make it more compatible to stream?

Edited by bcm00re

I then hit the back arrow, then went back to Covert and none of the selections I made were retained.

They certainly are retained. If you hit convert again, you're creating a brand new conversion. Did you explore the conversion queue in the server?

On 3/23/2021 at 3:25 PM, bcm00re said:

On #2 above, I did a test.  It appears the video is mainly just deinterlaced when going to mpeg4.  I did notice some other video parameters (like Profile and Level) changed as well as some audio things (like Codec and Profile and even bitrate on the 5.1 track).  I assume all that is to make it more compatible to stream?

Yes exactly.

bcm00re
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

They certainly are retained. If you hit convert again, you're creating a brand new conversion. Did you explore the conversion queue in the server?

Yesterday when I selected the big green Convert button it was leaving that window up and not taking it down -- so that drove my confusion (because seemingly nothing happened).  Today it is taking it down like I think it should after selecting Convert.

Thanks for the help BTW.

Edited by bcm00re

I noticed the same thing today while I was testing. I'll look at that. Thanks for the feedback.

bcm00re

@Luke

So I have a somewhat unique situation that is related to what we have been discussing.  I have shows that have been recorded in the past using my HDHR Extend with it's built-in hardware encoding turned on.  I am moving away from that and now want Emby to handle the encoding.  But if I setup a Covert on that show it tries to re-encode all my existing shows.  I thought I could get smart and first setup the Convert to "use original quality" to avoid the re-encode of the video (and that does seem to work).  But when I go edit the existing Covert to change it to be a "8gb" bitrate it tries to go redo all the old existing shows again!  I was hoping it would think/know it already performed the Covert on them and only apply this new setting to newly recorded shows, but it doesn't appear to work that way.  Any ideas?

bcm00re

So I setup a Convert on an existing folder of shows.  It started off using the Nvidia card for at least the first two, but I went to check it later and now see it isn't using any hardware acceleration at all.  It is currently doing a show I had already compressed with handbrake so I think it probably only remuxing the audio -- could that be why it isn't using the hardware?

Edited by bcm00re

rbjtech

Without details it's difficult to say - but yes, the audio only encoding/remuxing is done by the CPU - only video encoding is done by the GPU if it has suitable encoders/decoders, if not, it will use the CPU instead or combination of.

13 hours ago, bcm00re said:

@Luke

So I have a somewhat unique situation that is related to what we have been discussing.  I have shows that have been recorded in the past using my HDHR Extend with it's built-in hardware encoding turned on.  I am moving away from that and now want Emby to handle the encoding.  But if I setup a Covert on that show it tries to re-encode all my existing shows.  I thought I could get smart and first setup the Convert to "use original quality" to avoid the re-encode of the video (and that does seem to work).  But when I go edit the existing Covert to change it to be a "8gb" bitrate it tries to go redo all the old existing shows again!  I was hoping it would think/know it already performed the Covert on them and only apply this new setting to newly recorded shows, but it doesn't appear to work that way.  Any ideas?

If you setup a conversion job on the folder, then it's going to convert everything in the folder that doesn't already match the criteria that you're converting it. 

You can also convert individual recordings.

bcm00re

Okay, I went Custom and upped the bitrate some so most shows shouldn't have to re-encode now.  Thanks for the clarification!