Camera Upload, Multiple Libraries

legallink

bandit8623

if im correct i think its making a new library for any vid files that were uploaded.    i noticed a poster being created for each vid that was on my phone uploaded.

-edit

removed all folders and now after a rescan there is just 1 folder is there.  annoying bug on first setup for sure

Edited by bandit8623

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
julianb

This is still happening on 4.7.1.0, just tried it and created 150 libraries. I have disabled uploads until this if fixed. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
quickbeam

I've just purchased a Lifetime Premiere Subscription for the primary purpose of using this as my mobile photo/video backup option and discovered this is an issue, and found this thread. A disappointing turn of events, given it's otherwise a fantastic product so far.

This is still happening and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Happening with Emby 4.7.5.0 Ubuntu Linux 64 (installed using emby-server-deb_4.7.5.0_amd64.deb on 11th July 2022) and Emby for Android app v 3.2.52 (Updated on 23 June 2022) according to Google Play.

IMHO, except for the admin and his/her immediate family there probably isn't a big use for this feature.

I use Synology's app on our family phones which works well as it has good photo software. Any family member can move their photos from one folder to another in the home space. One is private and the other is EmbyPublic which is part of a photo library.  This way I don't get 5 or 6 of the same pic or with different filters or slight changes but one the camera op submitted.

A lot of apps could be used this way including OwnCloud and NextCloud.

bandit8623
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

IMHO, except for the admin and his/her immediate family there probably isn't a big use for this feature.

I use Synology's app on our family phones which works well as it has good photo software. Any family member can move their photos from one folder to another in the home space. One is private and the other is EmbyPublic which is part of a photo library.  This way I don't get 5 or 6 of the same pic or with different filters or slight changes but one the camera op submitted.

i think the point though is dont have a feature that is half assed and broken.   if its not going to be updated/ fixed it should be just removed.   i personally have a file server running on windows,  so im not going to go out and buy a nas.  the photo upload works kinda once initial setup and all the garbage is removed.  but organization is pretty bad.   

was looking for an alternative to google photos as they are pushing people to pay for data over 15 gig now.

• Agree 1

I was just throwing out a couple ideas that likely would have worked very elegantly and probably enjoyed more by your users as well as provide additional features.

I don't disagree with anything you said except the "half assed and broken" part as you might be giving it too much credit. :) Trying to say this in a positive, vs negative manner, I'd say it's the least useful feature available in Emby Server. I've brought this up internally asking if we could give some TLC to it. That's all I can do is ask.

Honestly, I would setup and use a sync program as they are simple to use and just work.  GoodSync, Resilio Sync  come to mind.  I use Resilio for many things including pics but also to make sure certain documents are synced to my phone as well as son, daughter and X-Wife. Having always updated info on emergency contacts, prescriptions taken (as well as a parent), Health Insurance info, Car Insurance info, etc is really nice to always have with you or making sure other loved ones have the info in case of need.

The above is a trivial example as it's just copying a few small files or scans but shows how useful something like that can be working in reverse keeping info updated on your phone. They can all of course pull info to a PC.  So there is no server or NAS needed to achieve similar results of what I mentioned.  I can say about 5 minutes after installing and setting up a sync program on your PC and phone will have you forgetting all about Camera Upload feature. :)

• 5 months later...
Guest DylanDane
On 7/12/2022 at 11:10 AM, cayars said:

This started happening again. Every upload creates a new iPhone Upload library.

You’re basically saying the feature isn’t important to you therefore no one really uses it, then telling the FOUR PAGES of people having the same problem to download a different app.

An app that requires a separate $200 piece of equipment to work. If people are having issues with emby’s library management, they already have a server where they’re storing files. They don’t need to buy another one to make the software function as advertised.

There’s nothing I love more than support staff dismissing valid issues of paying customers as “not important” and then telling them if they want their emby subscription to work they need buy more hardware and use those apps instead.

I have worked in tech for over a decade. I’m AWS and Azure certified.

Emby’s development and support staff are the most dismissive and unhelpful I have ever come across.

If you have a problem it’s either something you’ve set up wrong, you’re not using it the right way, or they don’t use it so they’re not going to fix it.

Just a thought - maybe you guys should have developed your own media platform instead of stealing other people’s hard work.

You didn’t create Emby. You slapped a poorly designed UI on an actively developed open source project and encrypted the installer so you could charge customers subscription fees.

if you helped build the open source project maybe it wouldn’t take years to fix issues, eventually telling customers you won’t fix it because you don’t personally use it.

Edited by DylanDane
Explaining

pwhodges
6 hours ago, DylanDane said:

Emby’s development and support staff are the most dismissive and unhelpful I have ever come across.

Then you've had a charmed life indeed!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, DylanDane said:

0This started happening again. Every upload creates a new iPhone Upload library.

You’re basically saying the feature isn’t important to you therefore no one really uses it, then telling the FOUR PAGES of people having the same problem to download a different app.

An app that requires a separate $200 piece of equipment to work. If people are having issues with emby’s library management, they already have a server where they’re storing files. They don’t need to buy another one to make the software function as advertised.

There’s nothing I love more than support staff dismissing valid issues of paying customers as “not important” and then telling them if they want their emby subscription to work they need buy more hardware and use those apps instead.

I have worked in tech for over a decade. I’m AWS and Azure certified.

If you have a problem it’s either something you’ve set up wrong, you’re not using it the right way, or they don’t use it so they’re not going to fix it.

Just a thought - maybe you guys should have developed your own media platform instead of stealing other people’s hard work.

You didn’t create Emby. You slapped a poorly designed UI on an actively developed open source project and encrypted the installer so you could charge customers subscription fees.

if you helped build the open source project maybe it wouldn’t take years to fix issues, eventually telling customers you won’t fix it because you don’t personally use it.

Did you read what I actually wrote?  I was not being dismissive in any way.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:04 PM, cayars said:

I don't disagree with anything you said except the "half assed and broken" part as you might be giving it too much credit. :) Trying to say this in a positive, vs negative manner, I'd say it's the least useful feature available in Emby Server. I've brought this up internally asking if we could give some TLC to it. That's all I can do is ask.

All I did was agree and say it's probably the worst feature presently in Emby and needs some TLC. I also said you might be better off using a different set of programs to sync pictures if a photo library is important to you.  That's not dismissive, but my personal opinion and probably a lot of other peoples as well.

Not sure what you're talking about in reference to us not creating Emby. You might be thinking of JellyFin which started and still is mostly an earlier version of Emby. Emby is an original piece of work that does make use of some open source projects (ie ffmpeg) and libraries but that's a good thing to do and we help support those projects as well with $ and code.

Your last comment makes no sense at all as Emby was open source for a long time under it was taken advantage of. Now it's pseudo open source with parts closed to protect our work.

No one said this wouldn't get fixed at some point but it's not one of the main features which gets the most dev time. We're constantly upgrading different parts of the program usually based on what has the biggest impact for most users.

• 1 year later...
grantsunny

I tried this feature today on latest version of server (4.7.14.0) and hit this problem. Several searches lead me to this thread.
If this is eventually be fixed in coming release I will feel great of course. With completely understanding that this can be a less priority of a video server, just leave a message to subscribe it. Perhaps this shall be open sourced as maintained as a separated plug-in or simply a separated project in parallel with Emby?

I liked this feature partially because It was actually share the exact same idea based on which I were trying to run a startup project with some dude 10 years before, and we did not continue it due to failure on getting investments. 🙃

richlee91

This just happened to me, very frustrating.  It created 24 "camera upload" libraries.  This is like a time bomb in the program waiting for you to turn it on. 

The upcoming 4.8 server release has added a new user permission that will allow you to control what users can upload photos.

• 1 month later...