Roku App rotates videos on playback

gmjohnson99

gmjohnson99

I have several videos on my server that were taken with my Iphone X (portrait view) and when I play them back on my computer they are oriented correctly.  In addition, when I play them back on the Emby Server, 90% of the time they are oriented correctly.  However, when I play them back in the Roku App (latest version of app and server) the videos are always rotated 90 degrees on the tv.  When I do the same from the Plex Roku App, they are always oriented and positioned correctly on the screen.  I'm assuming this is a bug in either Emby or the Emby Roku App?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gmjohnson99

Hi, thank you for your response, I've attached 5 files.  One is the raw video file on my computer (also the Emby Server) where the file plays in the correct orientation from both my computer and from the Emby Server.  I then ran the file from the Emby Roku App and sent you what I think were the correct 2 log files afterwards.  Finally, I sent 2 screenshot from my tv screen running the Emby Roku App, one shows the video playing but orientated by -90 degrees, the other is the thumbnail and video information on the tv screen for the video file (thumbnail shows the video oriented correctly.).  Videos are taken with an Iphone X, all videos are orientated by -90 degrees on the Emby Roku app but play correctly on computer, however every now and then a file also gets orientated by -90 degrees when I view it from the server (not a big deal since there's no need to do that anyway).  Please let me know if you need anything else on this issue, thank you.  As mentioned earlier, the Plex Roku app does not have this issue with these files.

Video file.MOV

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63711305904.txt

post-504027-0-95866600-1575727465_thumb.jpg

post-504027-0-24197700-1575727476_thumb.jpg

More than likely, Plex is transcoding the file to fix the orientation. 

If you use our "Playback Correction" feature in the Roku app, does it ever play properly?

gmjohnson99

Where is the feature in the Roku app for "Playback Correction?  Sorry, I just checked again and still don't see this within the app, please let me know how to get to it and I'll check if this helps.

gmjohnson99

Luke, the typical video when played from the Roku App that gets reoriented by -90 degrees says it is 1080p H264 at the bottom of the screen, is that the information you're referring to from the Web App detail screen?  I did some further testing, I found that from within the Roku app that if I went to Settings, then to Playback, then to Video Qualtiy, the default setting is set to "Auto".  Since my video says it's 1080p on the bottom of the Roku screen, I went ahead and changed the Video Quality from Auto to 720p HD -  10 Mbps (highest bit rate) and that fixed the orientation issue for all for videos in the Roku App, but since the bitrate is now only 10 Mbps the screen breaks up so much it's pretty much unwatchable. so I changed it back to "Auto".  Next, I ran the same videos (1080p) that I'm having problems with from the Roku Media Player app via the Emby server, and they're still rotated -90 degrees, so I'm assuming ultimately Roku is causing the issue.  Does that sound reasonable?  Is there anything else I can try?  Perhaps this is something that can be fixed in a future update to the Emby Roku App?

Happy2Play

Luke, the typical video when played from the Roku App that gets reoriented by -90 degrees says it is 1080p H264 at the bottom of the screen, is that the information you're referring to from the Web App detail screen?  I did some further testing, I found that from within the Roku app that if I went to Settings, then to Playback, then to Video Qualtiy, the default setting is set to "Auto".  Since my video says it's 1080p on the bottom of the Roku screen, I went ahead and changed the Video Quality from Auto to 720p HD -  10 Mbps (highest bit rate) and that fixed the orientation issue for all for videos in the Roku App, but since the bitrate is now only 10 Mbps the screen breaks up so much it's pretty much unwatchable. so I changed it back to "Auto".  Next, I ran the same videos (1080p) that I'm having problems with from the Roku Media Player app via the Emby server, and they're still rotated -90 degrees, so I'm assuming ultimately Roku is causing the issue.  Does that sound reasonable?  Is there anything else I can try?  Perhaps this is something that can be fixed in a future update to the Emby Roku App?

Luke is asking for the Media Info found and the bottom of the page on the itemdetails screen in the Web Client.

example

5dec57cd4a2bc_ex.jpg

But you did confirm the question ebr ask in post 4, as transcoding resolves the issue.  You could hit "Playback Correction" twice to force transcoding.

Edited by Happy2Play

gmjohnson99

Sorry, here is the Media info Luke asked for.  I have not been able to confirm ebr's question in post 4, sorry but I've looked several times and cannot figure out where the "Playback Correction" option is within the Emby Roku App (I apologize, I really can't find it).  Please let me know how to access that feature and I'll try it immediately and reply back to see if that solves the issue.  Thank you everyone for your help!

5dec6541e126f_itemsdesription.jpg

Happy2Play

Sorry, here is the Media info Luke asked for.  I have not been able to confirm ebr's question in post 4, sorry but I've looked several times and cannot figure out where the "Playback Correction" option is within the Emby Roku App (I apologize, I really can't find it).  Please let me know how to access that feature and I'll try it immediately and reply back to see if that solves the issue.  Thank you everyone for your help!

The same place you find the Nerd Stats.  While the item is playing, hit down button on remote and right click to the gear and click ok.  

gmjohnson99

Got it, thanks.  I went ahead and did the "playback correction", and it does correct the orientation of the video, but instead of smooth playback it now buffers and pixelates and eventually hangs.  The "playback correction" seems to function the same as I described in my post #7 above where I change the video from Auto to "720 - 10 Mbs", so unfortunately this did not work.

Yes, playback correction will force the server to remux or transcode the item which then fixes the orientation.  It sounds like maybe your server is not powerful enough to perform this operation.

Ok thanks, so we'll need to have the library scan record the orientation value so that the Roku app can force this to transcode instead of direct playing.

It's a shame that Roku doesn't support this like most other players do though. @@speechles this would be a good thing to report to them. Sample file is earlier in this topic.

gmjohnson99

Thank you Luke, please let me know if there is anything else you need from me, and if you need me to test this again in the future.

• 3 months later...
gmjohnson99

Just wanted to see if there was any updates on the issue I submitted a few months back.  I have the latest server release and the latest Roku app Beta release with the same issues as described above, thank you.

Hi, apologies for the delay. We will get to this. We need to add a transcoding condition to force the server to transcode these for Roku in order to correct the rotation.

@@Luke is there a way to detect the rotation flag in the application and restrict it via the capabilities profile? Say rotation must equal 0 degree. No Roku model supports rotation at this present time. Roku has no intention on supporting rotation. They have said this in the past. Their focus is streaming media from companies. Not as much about supporting media users may produce themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

@@Luke is there a way to detect the rotation flag in the application and restrict it via the capabilities profile? Say rotation must equal 0 degree. No Roku model supports rotation at this present time. Roku has no intention on supporting rotation. They have said this in the past. Their focus is streaming media from companies. Not as much about supporting media users may produce themselves.

Not yet, there is server development required first.

@@Luke If we knew the rotation the video was at in degrees. The Roku does support rotation on a group node that contains a video node. Read this as the Roku can fix this itself on OpenGL models and still direct play video. It isn't required to transcode. We can rotate video with this trick. But to do it you just know the original rotation of the video either 0, 90, 180, or 270.

gmjohnson99

Thank you Gentlemen for all you do.  I know you guys have so much more high priority stuff than this, I just appreciate that you guys even acknowledge small low priority requests like this.  Emby is an incredible, thanks again for all your hard work!