Playback freezing on Fire TV

thebnich
Go to solution Solved by danergo,

• 7 months later...
danergo
On 5/14/2020 at 2:05 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  Upon what are you basing that assumption?

Have you tried adjusting the "buffer" setting in the app?

Hello, this issue just keep happening all the time. (I haven't used FireTV for some time, but now started using it again).

The problem is that my upload where Emby server sits has a marginal upload speed (compared to my videos). But still, even when FireTV keeps freezing, Emby for LG app and Emby Theatre (on Windows) plays nice and smoothly (same media, same server, same internet, and quite-same circumstances).

Here is a small presentation of the network bandwidth usage, first with LG TV's native Emby app (green), then FireTV (black).

There is a very nice difference between those two: LG's Emby first tries to 'prebuffer', and then keeps playing it, whereas FireTV does not do any buffering. Please note, I was using "Large" buffer size on FireTV Stick while doing this test.

And because of this bandwidth usage, and FireTV's behaviour (of skipping buffering), media often stops on FireTV Stick (while keeps perfectly playing on other platforms).

As I think there is ExoPlayer who plays media on FireTV Stick, there must be some finetuning option for using heavier buffering especially at startup.

(Both cases - green and black -  were done with a clean media playback from the beginning).

Let me know your thoughts guys, I'm a premier user, and really want to solve this.

Cheers, thank you!

emby2.png

danergo
8 hours ago, ebr said:

So these items are transcoding to a lower bitrate than the original?

Forgot to mention - sorry for that.

No transcoding in either case at all. Everything is in "Direct Play" mode. If you wish I can post the "Nerd infos" from both players.

danergo

Yes, Luke, nothing has changed: FireTV constantly pauses and continues, while Emby for LG TV (Native app for LG TV) and Theatre on Windows both play fine.

• 1 month later...
danergo

I'm on holiday now, but I will do that, thanks, Luke.

Btw, let me ask a bit offtopic here (which is somehow related to here):

1.) Run an Emby Server in PlaceA

2.) Try playing content from PlaceB which is failing due to slow network connection between PlaceA-->PlaceB.

3.) Having something on my computer which is in PlaceB which acts as a proxy:

• I select in the morning what I want to watch in the evening
  • My computer buffers/downloads this file(s) during the day (as the connection is slow but stable)
  • Emby client plays the files at the evening from the proxy on my computer (assuming Emby Client and my computer are located on the same LAN)

Or the proxy can also be the Emby client, that would also help.

Do we have anything similar to this functionality?

Ps: downgrading to lower bitrate is not helping, as the connection is really slow, so I'd have to really downgrade. If Emby has something like I described, it can easily beat Netflix for me.

Thanks!

On 2/20/2021 at 7:49 AM, danergo said:

I'm on holiday now, but I will do that, thanks, Luke.

Btw, let me ask a bit offtopic here (which is somehow related to here):

1.) Run an Emby Server in PlaceA

2.) Try playing content from PlaceB which is failing due to slow network connection between PlaceA-->PlaceB.

3.) Having something on my computer which is in PlaceB which acts as a proxy:

• I select in the morning what I want to watch in the evening
  • My computer buffers/downloads this file(s) during the day (as the connection is slow but stable)
  • Emby client plays the files at the evening from the proxy on my computer (assuming Emby Client and my computer are located on the same LAN)

Or the proxy can also be the Emby client, that would also help.

Do we have anything similar to this functionality?

Ps: downgrading to lower bitrate is not helping, as the connection is really slow, so I'd have to really downgrade. If Emby has something like I described, it can easily beat Netflix for me.

Thanks!

Hi, sounds like you want to use either our Windows store app, android app, or iOS app and use the download feature that they have.

danergo

Yes thanks I'm aware of those and can download the file with Windows, but then Emby on FireTV has nothing to do with it unless I install a 2nd Emby Server on my computer too and point the FireTV onto that.