Popup menu?

serpi
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

Hi,

I just bought a 2019 Samsung QLED TV and installed the latest Emby app from USB (as I live in germany).

So far, I'm pretty impressed, how well it works, I used a HTPC Windows 10 PC before, great work!

One thing I'm missing is the popup menu I had on Windows (shuffle play, delete, etc.).

Is there any way, to open this on the Samsung app?

If not, it would be nice if it could get implmented, for example by long pressing on an item (as it already is done in some Sasung Apps).

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Hi,

I just bought a 2019 Samsung QLED TV and installed the latest Emby app from USB (as I live in germany).

So far, I'm pretty impressed, how well it works, I used a HTPC Windows 10 PC before, great work!

One thing I'm missing is the popup menu I had on Windows (shuffle play, delete, etc.).

Is there any way, to open this on the Samsung app?

If not, it would be nice if it could get implmented, for example by long pressing on an item (as it already is done in some Sasung Apps).

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Hi, thanks for the feedback.  Can you please give me a little more information around the feature you're after?  Do you mean shuffle play, delete for TV series items, playlists, music or all of them?

Most pages that support multiple item like albums, playlists and albums should have a shuffle button, and if you enable the option in the user profile on the server to allow deleting from particular libraries, then you will also get a delete option in the'...' more menu.

Let me know if this isn't what you're after.

5deabb3ae08ee_Untitled.png

Edited by SamES

Hi, thanks for the feedback.  Can you please give me a little more information around the feature you're after?  Do you mean shuffle play, delete for TV series items, playlists, music or all of them?

Hi,

it's mostly the popup function, I'm missing, also there is some functionality.

I'm used to the popup menu in ET in Windows (CTRL-D, I have it mappes to the info button on my HTPC remote), as it has some benefits.

For example, if you delete an item with the menu, you will not put to the home screen after that.

Deleting inside an item is even more irritating, as it shows the home screen afterwards, but then, if you go back, you will be back inside the deleted item instead of leving the app.

There is no such problem with deleting an item with the popup menu, as you will stay where you are and only the item vanishes.

Also, the shuffle play works different.

For example, if I use the popup menu on the music library it will shuffle play on all titles.

But if I go into the library, for example in albums, and select there shuffle play, it will select an random album, plays it, select another album, plays it, etc. Not what I like...

So, simply spoken, it would be nice to have the popup menu, I think it gives great functions for the already nice app.

I also noticed another thing:

In ET for Windows, I'm also used to simply press the play button on an item and it will be played (or resumed).

The play button on my smart remote doesn't do that on the Samsung TV (but it works for play/pause when the movie plays).

This is a really great feature for the home screen, as it makes the usage of the play next items realy easy.

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

At present the TV clients don't utilise popup menus, although popup menus are used in the web client.  I'm not sure how well they would work for the TV clients as the popups menus take up the full screen, which isn't a real smooth user interface, but is used where required.  

I like the idea of pressing play while an item is selected to skip the detail screen.  @@Luke, I don't expect this would be hard to activate.  Would it have any undesired side-effects?   Edit: It already does this!

Edited by SamES

At present the TV clients don't utilise popup menus, although popup menus are used in the web client.  I'm not sure how well they would work for the TV clients as the popups menus take up the full screen, which isn't a real smooth user interface, but is used where required.  

I like the idea of pressing play while an item is selected to skip the detail screen.  @@Luke, I don't expect this would be hard to activate.  Would it have any undesired side-effects? 

On the web interface, the popup menu doesn't use the full screen, only on ET (Windows), it does.

But I have seen little popup menus already on some Samsung Apps, for example in the EPG, a long press will will show a popup menu for recording etc.

So it's something, that's already used by Tizen Apps and I would think, there would be some kind of functions to utilize it?!

And I'm glad you like the play button, it really makes things easier, I hope it can be done (as it is already used in the ET Windows version).

Thanks & Ciao,

Alfred

But I have seen little popup menus already on some Samsung Apps, for example in the EPG, a long press will will show a popup menu for recording etc.

So it's something, that's already used by Tizen Apps and I would think, there would be some kind of functions to utilize it?!

You mean in the Samsung TV guide (not the Emby TV guide)?  Yes, they use popup menus, but this is using their screen components. The Emby theatre client is used on many different platforms and models and applies a consistent user experience.  I'm not sure if the popup menus used by Samsung for the guide are available for all apps to use, and I don't know that they would work well with the current Emby Theatre design.

And I'm glad you like the play button, it really makes things easier, I hope it can be done (as it is already used in the ET Windows version).

Actually, this already works.  Have you tried pressing play on an item on the home screen or library?

Edited by SamES

You mean in the Samsung TV guide (not the Emby TV guide)?  Yes, they use popup menus, but this is using their screen components. The Emby theatre client is used on many different platforms and models and applies a consistent user experience.  I'm not sure if the popup menus used by Samsung for the guide are available for all apps to use, and I don't think they would work well with the current Emby Theatre design.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I understand the problem, so maybe just use the "popups" from the Windows ET version (which means full screen menu).

Actually, this already works.  Have you tried pressing play on an item on the home screen or library?

Well, yes, I did, nothing happens if I press the button.

Maybe there are differnet play buttons?

I have a GQ75Q60R with this little (but very nice and smart) remote:

5decd096df41e_remote.jpg

It has the play/pause button, which works when playing a video, but not when an item is highlited.

I also tried play/pause in the SmartThings app on my Samsung phone, this also doesn't work

I tried it on the home screen, in a movie library, an episodes, it works nowhere.

The version I have is 1.0.70.

Thanks & Ciao,

Alfred

Yes, and this is the other problem.  There are a variety of different remote controls, so adding any functionality that depends on a particular button can have mixed results. For example, my LG remote doesn't even have a play button.

I've got several Samsung remotes, and I have one like yours.  I've confirmed that it doesn't work with that one so I'll see if I can find out why.

• Like 1

I've got several Samsung remotes, and I have one like yours.  I've confirmed that it doesn't work with that one so I'll see if I can find out why.

On the smart remote, it is a combined play/pause key, so it is generating a playpause event, not a play event.  On the basic remote with separate keys for play & pause, the play key generates a play event, which is why it works as you would expect it to.

We could probably also use the info button for the context menu for list items.

Yes, that probably would make sense.

The problem is, as you can see in the picture, my remote has no info button.

I could use speech input or enable colored buttons and select there the info, which would be ok for me, but others might find it too complicated.

So, ideally, it would be great if both options would be possible, long press and info button.

The long press is already there in the UI of my Samsung TV, so it's kind of normal to use it.

But I don't know  if this was already used in older models.

Ciao, Alfred

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution
SamES

@@serpi, try the play/pause button on the remote with the latest USB version 1.0.71.

Also try selecting info on an item on the home screen (Press the coloured dots button, then left to select info)

• Like 1

@@serpi, try the play/pause button on the remote with the latest USB version 1.0.71.

Also try selecting info on an item on the home screen (Press the coloured dots button, then left to select info)

I've already installed the new version yesterday and tried it, it works great!

Thanks for this, it's exactly what I wanted!

Now I see also the release notes, no mention of theses changes, also not of the menu that pop ups when going backwards from the home screen.

Ciao, Alfred

FrostByte

Now I see also the release notes, no mention of theses changes, also not of the menu that pop ups when going backwards from the home screen.

Should be there now, wording may need to be changed

Should be there now, wording may need to be changed

Well, yes, the description is not totally ok.

Pressing play already did start an item, but now also a combined play/pause button (as on the smart remote or the smart things app) also works.

And the popup menu is opened when pressing the info button. On the smart remote (or with the smart things app) it's the way, pressing twice the colour button and the select the info. Other remotes already have an info button, that works immediatly.

• Like 2