Emby Server on OSX with files on FreeBSD Server

burnt_hare

burnt_hare

Good day,

I have Emby Server running on my iMac which is running OSX High Sierra.  I have my music, movies and tv shows on my FreeBSD server which is running FBSD 12.1 (latest patches).  The server is running Samba 4.10.  I have a share setup for all my media files which both Emby and iTunes have access to.

My ACL permissions on my FBSD server are set correctly.  I can access the Samba share from my iMac.  iTunes has no issues downloading or playing music, tv or movies from the share.  I can delete, move and otherwise modify files on the Samba share.  Everything is authenticated through Active Directory which is also running on my FBSD server in a jail.

The install of Emby on the iMac went without issue.  Emby accesses the media directories and shows all the media.  It will play the music files.  It will not play any videos files.

The error for video files depends on which client I use.  When accessing Emby using the iMac, it will "play" the video file but there is no video or audio.  It shows a black screen with a time progress metre moving as time ticks away.  There are no errors provided.

When I access it from another computer on the network, it gives me the "Playback Error - No compatible streams are currently available.  Please try again later...".

I've attached the ffmpeg transcode log file for your review.

Is there something basic that I'm missing?

burnt_hare

Hi Luke,

Thank you for the reply. 

Sorry, I don't know what happened with the log file.  I remember attaching it.  In any case, I figured out the issue.  iTunes had replaced some of my movies with DRM protected versions.  I've corrected that.  The only niggling item I have is when I'm playing a 4k mkv movie.

I am in the midst of transitioning my media server from a linux box to my FBSD server.  I can stream a 4k mkv movie from my linux box without any issues.  When I try to do the same with Emby, it plays for a few seconds then freezes for a few seconds, then plays for a few seconds.  I am wondering if it is a transcoder issue?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
burnt_hare

Hi Luke,

I have purchased an Emby license.  It appears that there are no issues when using the app.  Only when using Chrome or Safari.  So it seems to be isolated to web browsers.

On another issue, my server on which I run Emby is connected to my home audio system.  I notice that while by nVidia Shields appear as locations where I can stream media, my server does not.  I have to log into the server as a user, then log into an iPad as a user in order to play audio on the server.  Am I missing something or is this a limitation of Emby?

Thank you