Photo

Reaching MadVR quality with MPV ?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2019 - 07:56 PM

Sadly, I'm not able to compare MadVR and Mpv. Because learning Mpv is going to take me hours (maybe days) while I achieved a wonderful result in 10 minutes using MadVR (excluding the generation of the profile/lut). 

I'm watching films. Tinkering with presets and mpv.conf is not the reason why I purchased an Emby Premiere account : It was because I tried Emby, discovered its MadVR integration and I was blown away by the result.

Now I understand everybody wait for different things. But surely you understand that MadVR is straightforward compared to mpv's .conf. (I mean for normal human being).

But this is not going anywhere. You said before that you disagree with everything I said. That makes sense. I stopped using Emby because I was disappointed. You're Emby's "legendary" ! We cannot agree :)

And that is fair, mpv has a more steep learning curve. But I won't accept that MadVR is better because it's easier. 

This is why I try to help you guys. I'm willing to do the legwork for you. But if you throw your hands in the air, don't tell me what you want and don't even want to try, I can't help you. I am not affiliated with Emby. I'm just another end-user (like you), trying to help. I happen to enjoy this stuff, and I like helping people. 

MadVR with LAV filters is gone. 

mpv is continually developing....fast! There are new builds, almost weekly. 

Here's something for you MadVR HDR passthrough guys that have Nvidia GPUs. It's not using passthrough. It just flips the switch before playback. That's how you can watch in a window. The windows desktop doesn't have HDR metadata, so that's how it still looks correct. It's using the same DXGI 1.6 swapchain and Windows compositor that VLC and mpv use. They are all at the mercy of Windows. There's no magic.

#22 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 824 posts
  • Local time: 11:16 PM

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:30 AM

That's what I'm saying....it doesn't! The only real difference is that madshi has packaged everything in a way that he finds best. You really think he is the only guy in his field that does what he does and he does it much better than everyone else? That's a huge slap in the face for the developers of ffmpeg, mpv, VLC and all of the rest of them.

Here, read this post he made with mpv.

https://github.com/m...mpv/issues/6213

They are all on equal par. Most people just don't want to take the time to learn, and then blame the software for not being as good. It's the same discussion between Linux and Windows users. They both achieve the same outcome (with some variation), but some guys love using the command line and others prefer a UI. Each has things the other can't do, because it's a different platform. If you want HDR playback on a PC (not tone mapping), you have to use Windows 10. No other PC platform supports it.

With video, there are also going to be a wide range tastes. There is no accounting for that. Just because a person likes what A does more than B, doesn't make A, better.

MadVR is just different, not better.

Does mpv do NGU Sharp upscaling?

#23 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:44 AM

Does mpv do NGU Sharp upscaling?

I believe that may be proprietary, but if you can find the shader, yes. There are other shaders that are equal or better. To add a shader, just use --glsl-shader

For other options, you can read this
https://artoriuz.git..._upscaling.html

There are links to comparative shaders. Like FSRCNNX, which in testing is on par, if not better.

And here's a list of standard scalers, available in mpv
    bilinear
    bicubic_fast
    oversample
    spline16
    spline36
    spline64
    sinc
    lanczos
    ginseng
    jinc
    ewa_lanczos
    ewa_hanning
    ewa_ginseng
    ewa_lanczossharp
    ewa_lanczossoft
    haasnsoft
    bicubic
    bcspline
    catmull_rom
    mitchell
    robidoux
    robidouxsharp
    ewa_robidoux
    ewa_robidouxsharp
    box
    nearest
    triangle
    gaussian

And here's FSRCNNX, employed
[   0.102][v][vo/gpu] Using FBO format rgba16hf.
[   0.102][v][ifo_dvdnav] Opening D:/mpv/portable_config/FSRCNNX_x2_16-0-4-1.glsl
[   0.102][v][bdmv/bluray] Opening D:/mpv/portable_config/FSRCNNX_x2_16-0-4-1.glsl
[   0.102][v][file] Opening D:/mpv/portable_config/FSRCNNX_x2_16-0-4-1.glsl
[   0.102][d][file] resize stream to 131072 bytes
[   0.102][d][file] Stream opened successfully.

Edited by Doofus, 30 December 2019 - 05:44 PM.

#24 ybnl OFFLINE  

ybnl

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 07:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:29 AM

And that is fair, mpv has a more steep learning curve. But I won't accept that MadVR is better because it's easier. 

This is why I try to help you guys. I'm willing to do the legwork for you. But if you throw your hands in the air, don't tell me what you want and don't even want to try, I can't help you. I am not affiliated with Emby. I'm just another end-user (like you), trying to help. I happen to enjoy this stuff, and I like helping people. 

MadVR with LAV filters is gone. 

mpv is continually developing....fast! There are new builds, almost weekly. 

Here's something for you MadVR HDR passthrough guys that have Nvidia GPUs. It's not using passthrough. It just flips the switch before playback. That's how you can watch in a window. The windows desktop doesn't have HDR metadata, so that's how it still looks correct. It's using the same DXGI 1.6 swapchain and Windows compositor that VLC and mpv use. They are all at the mercy of Windows. There's no magic.

Again, thank you for offering some help. But I feel there should be a GUI or 2-3 commented .conf that users can try. Something official. I feel Emby rely too much on its actual user base. 

#25 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:24 AM

I believe that may be propitiatory, but if you can find the shader, yes. There are other shaders that are equal or better. To add a shader, just use --glsl-shader

For other options, you can read this https://artoriuz.git..._upscaling.html

There are links to comparative shaders. Like FSRCNNX, which in testing is on par, if not better.

And here's a list of standard scalers, available in mpv

bilinear
    bicubic_fast
    oversample
    spline16
    spline36
    spline64
    sinc
    lanczos
    ginseng
    jinc
    ewa_lanczos
    ewa_hanning
    ewa_ginseng
    ewa_lanczossharp
    ewa_lanczossoft
    haasnsoft
    bicubic
    bcspline
    catmull_rom
    mitchell
    robidoux
    robidouxsharp
    ewa_robidoux
    ewa_robidouxsharp
    box
    nearest
    triangle
    gaussian

And here's FSRCNNX, employed
[   0.102][v][vo/gpu] Using FBO format rgba16hf.
[   0.102][v][ifo_dvdnav] Opening D:/mpv/portable_config/FSRCNNX_x2_16-0-4-1.glsl
[   0.102][v][bdmv/bluray] Opening D:/mpv/portable_config/FSRCNNX_x2_16-0-4-1.glsl
[   0.102][v][file] Opening D:/mpv/portable_config/FSRCNNX_x2_16-0-4-1.glsl
[   0.102][d][file] resize stream to 131072 bytes
[   0.102][d][file] Stream opened successfully.
I guess madvr is just tried and true. As the other guy said there's a steap learning curve with mpv. And it seems like your the only one that knows much about it. Worth madvr there is extensive info out there with a ton of users.

#26 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:14 PM

Well, I tried. I've shown that mpv can pretty much do everything that madvr can. I've offered to help. I've done all I can.

#27 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:21 PM

Well, I tried. I've shown that mpv can pretty much do everything that madvr can. I've offered to help. I've done all I can.

And you've done plenty its no knock against you. Just seems like it is still in the early phases for this software since so few people know how to manipulate it.

#28 msandberg OFFLINE  

msandberg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 10:16 PM

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:35 PM

Not sure if this actually will help but there is glow it is still being worked on but it does work to create mpv.conf files.

https://github.com/M.../v0.0.7.2-alpha

#29 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:39 PM

These threads should be merged

https://emby.media/c...ing-back-madvr/

#30 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:46 PM

Not sure if this actually will help but there is glow it is still being worked on but it does work to create mpv.conf files.

https://github.com/M.../v0.0.7.2-alpha

I wouldn't use that. It's 2 year old. There have been thousands of mpv updates in that time. Lots of changes. If some of those options fail, you wouldn't know, as mpv will silently disable them. 

#31 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, just taking a quick look at some options, I can already see problems with it. But most of it looks ok.

Edited by Doofus, 08 January 2020 - 11:11 PM.

#32 msandberg OFFLINE  

msandberg

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

Oh yeah agree with not using it to expect all settings, but it is and was helpful for me to understand syntax and formatting of the file. Then I just look up the options I want. Especially when I was new the setting up the .conf file. Others mileage will vary. :)

#33 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

You just have to be aware that some of the options won't actually work. And that some will counteract others.

#34 msandberg OFFLINE  

msandberg

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:45 PM

Yeah that was the hardest part was the settings, not only what to use but what settings conflict with what. Alas a lot of trial and error, making lots of reference to the manual https://mpv.io/manua...-output-drivers RTFM as they say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users