Plex wants to be all the things

riothamus

riothamus

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/plex-launches-avod-service-over-200-countries

Glad I jumped off of that platform altogether.  My favorite part of the story:

Besides providing access for advertisers and agencies to new audiences, Plex is pledging to be more generous than other AVOD providers in sending user data back to content companies. Valory said that it won’t provide any data to content providers about what’s in Plex users’ personal media libraries but it will provide a lot of the anonymous, aggregated usage data that comes from opt-in third-party content viewing.

“We’ve got a lot of usage data that we’re more than willing to share with ad partners and content partners, as opposed to using that data as leverage in negotiations,” Valory said.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya they say We’ve got a lot of usage data that we’re more than willing to share with ad partners and content partners, as opposed to using that data as leverage in negotiations,” as if it is something end users actually want to hear. Sure collect the fee i pay you then give away my usage data to provide targeted ads to me from providers and dont use any of it to try and leverage any perks for the end users at all. Sounds foolish to me to tell users that you happily give away usage data with nothing in return.

Gilgamesh_48

As many here already know I am one of the people that have moved from Plex to Emby. Plex started life as a pretty good product but they really deteriorated in recent years. They say that adding these "Improved" features is wanted by their users but I have NEVER seen any proof that is true nor have I ever seen any feedback that the features have been well received by many users.

Plex says that the "new" features never introduce bugs but I know that is nearly impossible. When features are added to a system it impacts every single part of the system. It is unavoidable. They add the ability to stream podcasts and systems as basic as indexing a library can get impacted by many things from timing issues to memory issues.

Plex lies to their users a LOT.

When I first tried Emby (Back when it was MediaBrowser) I really did not like it but the Emby folks worked hard and now Emby is much better for me than Plex. Emby is mostly exactly what I need for my personal streaming while Plex is now so bloated that I find it nearly impossible to effectively use Plex for my streaming. Emby is a little bloated for me (ex. I have no use for recording live TV through my streaming system as I believe that recording should be a separate system.) There are other parts of Emby that I do not use or want so I believe that Emby is a bit bloated for my needs BUT Plex is to Emby as an Great Dane is to a Chihuahua. 

I have not, yet, completely removed all instances of Plex but I no longer run the Plex server all the time and I only fire it up to periodically reinforce the idea that my move to Emby was correct.

Emby does still have its rough edges in places but it is vastly superior for my streaming than the fat slob Plex has become.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

BAlGaInTl

I have not, yet, completely removed all instances of Plex but I no longer run the Plex server all the time and I only fire it up to periodically reinforce the idea that my move to Emby was correct.

Emby does still have its rough edges in places but it is vastly superior for my streaming than the fat slob Plex has become.

I remember when I was in that EXACT same situation.  Finally, Plex never got fired up, and was removed.

Allan Cameron

I left Plex ages ago. I look from time to time just to see whats going on.

Truth be told, there "newish" UI client and server side SUCKS!!! I think that team gets board and just finds things to do.. like making changes to things that don't need changing.

Fixing things that are not broken instead of what is broken lol Regardless, i don't like the direction they have went the past few years.