Anyone use MCE STandby tool?

Deihmos

Deihmos

When my PC that host all my media wakes up because another client set a wake request from MBC it never goes back to sleep. I was trying to use the MCE standby tool but it puts the PC even when another client is accessing files. 

Anyone familiar with this app and know of a way to prevent it from going in standby when sharing media?

Koleckai Silvestri

I've never used the tool. Had similar problems to you in the past and I just made it so my server never sleeps now. Monitors will shut off and drives will spin down but the machine never actually sleeps.

Deihmos

It cost about 10 bucks a month to leave it on 24/7. Not worth it.

Edited by Deihmos

Tester

I personally think it is worth it and have since this tool for 3 years, could never have my HTPC working as it is without it.. 

Unfortunately the tool does not support inbound/outbound traffic detection, was something that was never added due to the owner dropping the project.

For this you can use this tool, it will keep HTPC awake if there is traffic.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/coffee-sc/

• Like 1

Deihmos

I personally think it is worth it and have since this tool for 3 years, could never have my HTPC working as it is without it..

Unfortunately the tool does not support inbound/outbound traffic detection, was something that was never added due to the owner dropping the project.

For this you can use this tool, it will keep HTPC awake if there is traffic.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/coffee-sc/

What I mean it isn't worth it for me to leave the PC on 24/7. I will take a look at this. Thanks. Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

I finally figured this app out. Now the server stays awake when sharing media then sleeps when done. It can also keep the PC awake when a certain app is running. No more PC insomnia.

Edited by Deihmos

Koleckai Silvestri

It cost about 10 bucks a month to leave it on 24/7. Not worth it.

Hmmm...

My monthly electric bill is $80 a month in the winter and there are 6 computers in the house that rarely go to sleep and are never turned off. $10/month seems like a stretch. The bill does rise to about $300 a month in the summer but that is due to the air conditioning.

Deihmos

The rate depends on where you live as some states have much lower rates than others. Take your total bill and divide it by your usage to get the rate.

I have something that tells me how much power my pc uses and it was about 40-45 watts. Just imagine what your bill would be if you let your pc sleep when not in use. Could probably be saving at least $20+ a month.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by Deihmos

Koleckai Silvestri

I understand California has some of the highest rates. Maybe. In April, I used 466 kilowatt hours total. Cost between 13 cents and 27 cents an hour. This is for a three bedroom, two story house with 4 adults living in it more than 50% of the time.

Oh well not a big deal, glad you found a solution.

Spaceboy

I couldn't get this to work reliably. Not just the program, but hardware resuming from sleep can have issues. For me stability is absolutely key so my server is always on and all other devices I'm using are low powered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deihmos

Deihmos, how exactly did you end up getting it all working ?

The only issue I had was that it would sleep the server when it was streaming. It turns out that the developer already has something to prevent it but just for a homegroup which I don't use. All I did was add the names of my clients to the registry and now the server would not sleep if another client is streaming. Since MBC has built in wake on lan it works out to be the perfect solution.

I never had an issue with resuming from sleep just that it would not return to sleep reliably and stay on all night. I don't need my PC on all night doing nothing.

This version also is able to respect custom network sessions and does not suspend if one of them is in use. They can be entered just like the custom executables by creating a registry value at the following locations:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Herman van Eijk\MceStandbyTool\Non Idle Networksessions

To figure out which sessions are in use open a command prompt with administrator rights and execute the following command:

net sessions

A value for homegroup sharing is already defined, so MST will not suspend the system when another PC plays recordings from it.

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Deihmos , sorry but adding HKLM\SOFTWARE\Herman van Eijk\MceStandbyTool\"Non Idle Networksessions" key, MCE  keeps sleeping (in my case after 30 minutes) despite having two clients doing streaming.
Should put some other value in the registry? When you say "All I did was add the names of my clients to the registry" means to add in the "Non Idle Networksessions" key the names of streaming devices?, f.example GT-P5110 for my tablet?

Thanks in advance

Edited by ireme

The Net sessions command reports none entry, while my tablet that uses the Android application makes streaming from MediaBrowser Server.

But if the streaming it's using WebBrowser then shows:

C:\>net sessions

Equipo                 Usuario              Tipo cliente    Abre tiempo inact.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\[fe80::b14c:9377:a...MediaCenter                                1 00:00:18

Mediacenter is the computer name where is MediaBrowser Server

Deihmos

What I suggested will only work for direct plays from your shared folders. Your tablet isn't accessing your files directly and wouldn't register as a net session.

Thanks a lot Delhmos, I was going crazy.

I have to think of a solution and discard the MCE Standby tool, since the developer has abandoned the project.

jdtayloruk

I was finding my computer wasn't going to sleep either or if it was the computer woke up almost immediately and kept doing that several times, I just don't know how to solve it myself either.

Deihmos

That sounds like your network card is waking the PC. Check the power settings in device e manager and select only allow a magic packet to wake the PC.