INFINITE BLACK SCREEN IN LINEAGE OS PIE

Nofrills88

Nofrills88

Hey emby family  :) I'm making transiton from plex to emby...in the same way I moved from stock android TV (ShieldTV)firmware to custom lineage OS due to numerous issues in stock firmwares. Emby server works perfect on shield TV; I'm able to stream on other android devices well. However, on the main shield device (host) the emby apps dont work. Regular emby app won't launch and emby for android tv gets stuck in a black screen after logging in. The video in link below shows the situation; logs are also attached. Any help will be heartily appreciated (tired of plex lol).

https://mega.nz/#!4VcTxAgb!zvnfWhYeLMgCVg7zYl9WM-AAZb7OtkmrRDzI8UBkjMc

embylogs.txt

cheers!

Edited by Nofrills88

Hi.  We have not tried to test with anything other than the supported firmware for the Shield.  It is likely your custom version is missing some key component the app depends on.  Things like Google Play services etc.

The app is never getting far enough to contact your server it looks like.

Nofrills88

Hi.  We have not tried to test with anything other than the supported firmware for the Shield.  It is likely your custom version is missing some key component the app depends on.  Things like Google Play services etc.

The app is never getting far enough to contact your server it looks like.

Alright, I understand now. Is it possible to pin point the exact missing component?

Nofrills88

If you can examine/obtain the logcat from the device when you start the app, perhaps.

Great, attached below is the log from logcat. I reinstalled the app around 19:04:38 and fired it up around 19:04:41-42 and finally logged in around 19:04:55 after which I got the black screen. Thanks in advance :)

launch time log.txt

Okay, so is this OS you installed a proper Android TV OS?  Meaning it has a proper leanback launcher (not a wall of icons like a phone)?

It looks like that is the problem, the Android TV features we depend on aren't there.

Nofrills88

Okay, so is this OS you installed a proper Android TV OS?  Meaning it has a proper leanback launcher (not a wall of icons like a phone)?

It looks like that is the problem, the Android TV features we depend on aren't there.

It's sort of a blend. Vendor image is stock android TV and system is full android. Yea..that could be the cause. It's funny that neither emby for android and emby for android tv works...but at least the latter launches to the login screen. Looks like I will have to watch using browsers lol. Kodi works but the Embycon UI is really messy.

post-548618-0-59627600-1575496764_thumb.png

Nofrills88

I appreciate the support though :)

Nofrills88

Or.... you could re-install the proper firmware on the Shield.  It is really quite a nice device.

I've been having issues with random reboots (framework restarts not complete reboot) with stock firmware that they were unable to diagnose. But full android roms have never crashed...not even once since oreo. Emby worked well in stock firmware as well as oreo custom full android rom. But in pie my luck ran out xD

Edited by Nofrills88

Nofrills88

Why not try again with the latest firmware?

I've used up to version 8.0.1 and it still had the random crash issue. Moved to lineage for good...never going back to stock lol. I accept the trade offs for stability...and that unfortunately includes emby. 

• 2 weeks later...
Nofrills88

Or.... you could re-install the proper firmware on the Shield.  It is really quite a nice device.

Hey I finally got the emby for android version to work! Apparently it had no storage permissions and I was not getting any prompts from the app. I headed over to settings, toggled it on and viola! I have a question though I have noticed I have to manually rescan my library as emby doesn't auto rescan when new media is added. Is there such an option? Thanks in advance

Hey I finally got the emby for android version to work! Apparently it had no storage permissions and I was not getting any prompts from the app. I headed over to settings, toggled it on and viola! I have a question though I have noticed I have to manually rescan my library as emby doesn't auto rescan when new media is added. Is there such an option? Thanks in advance

If you are running the server on the Shield as well I don't think there is any file system change monitoring on the platform right now.

• Like 1

Nofrills

If you are running the server on the Shield as well I don't think there is any file system change monitoring on the platform right now.

Alright, I appreciate

• 2 weeks later...
Nofrills88

Hello and happy holidays!

I have a quick question. Due to the obvious navigation challenges of using the regular emby for android on TV with remote I decided to try older versions of emby for ATV. I found out that version 1.4.61g works well with only one issue (by design I think). The issue is I cannot see already watched content, they are automatically hidden by app once watched. For example if I want to rewatch an episode I must first mark all episodes as unplayed in order for them to be visible and thus selectable. Is there a workaroud for this other than upgrading the app? What changed between 1.5 and 1.6? because there is when it stops working. Thanks in advance and again..happy holidays:)

EDIT: After changelog inspection I see that from 1.6.00 the arm64-v8a x86 x86_64 screen options were added thus could be the reason newer versions wont work on my rom. 

Edited by Nofrills88

Nofrills88

If I remember correctly the app had another menu style in settings with home layout and such. But in this case all I see is a grey box lol

post-548618-0-10036300-1577527297_thumb.png

Edited by Nofrills88

Nofrills88

All of these issues would be solved by installing the proper firmware back on your device.

I understand, but unfortunately for me that's not an option as discussed earlier. Thanks anyways