ffprobe timeout error - library scan

IkeTaylor11

IkeTaylor11

I'm saying it's however you want it to be.

No your still not being clear at all. What’s with all the cryptic talk? If I enable thumbnail creation on a library does it generate those images during the scan library task? It’s a simple yes or no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IkeTaylor11

We'd have to look at an example. It could be that it was already in progress at the time you disabled it.

It wasn’t in progress because I kicked off the scan after I changed the library. And ffprobe was not running as a process until I started the scan. I know how to use top and filter by user.

If I enable thumbnail creation on a library does it generate those images during the scan library task? It’s a simple yes or no.

I'm saying there's an option to control this, so the answer is however you've configured it.

It wasn’t in progress because I kicked off the scan after I changed the library. And ffprobe was not running as a process until I started the scan. I know how to use top and filter by user.

Can we look at the server log? Thanks.

IkeTaylor11

I'm saying there's an option to control this, so the answer is however you've configured it.

Wtf are you taking about? Where is the option? How can it be configured? Rather than give me cryptic answers tell me how to change the settings.

IkeTaylor11

Can we look at the server log? Thanks.

I’ve posted 2 full logs over the past 2 days. What more do you need?

Wtf are you taking about? Where is the option? How can it be configured? Rather than give me cryptic answers tell me how to change the settings.

This option will appear next to the other thumbnail settings when the toggle to show advanced settings is enabled.

I’ve posted 2 full logs over the past 2 days. What more do you need?

Because you've made a change that the other logs before did not have. That's why I asked for a new one.

IkeTaylor11

Because you've made a change that the other logs before did not have. That's why I asked for a new one.

I haven’t made a change though. The default for a library scan is to not create images during a library scan.

48fef3e105bc25655fba6776a273b37a.jpg

So even though I have now unchecked thumbnail creation on the library it was never a factor. Which means my logs are still valid. A library scan of 100gb, 27 media files, should not take 24 hours to process. Even with only the 20Mbps connection speed I have. What data is being written? Why is so much I/O generated on a library scan?

Isn’t it just looking at the media file and reading the attributes from it to determine the video and audio type and quality? I already have all poster images and nfo files stored with the media files. So what is the library scan doing that is so intensive?

IkeTaylor11

Ok sorry in post #21 you said you disabled it.

Meaning I unchecked create thumbnails all together. I’ve never been in the advanced settings, didnt know that option even existed. I sent screen shots of my library setup a long time ago.

But in your screenshot you just sent, thumbnail extraction is enabled. You disabled it during the library scan, but it will still happen during the background scheduled task.

IkeTaylor11

But in your screenshot you just sent, thumbnail extraction is enabled. You disabled it during the library scan, but it will still happen during the background scheduled task.

That last screenshot I sent was an example of setting up a library from scratch with advanced settings showing. Thumbnail extraction during library scan is not the default option. Therefore running the scan library task should in no way do any thumbnail creation.

I think you are losing the point of this. It has nothing to do with thumbnail extraction. It’s about what happens during a library scan, amount of I/O generated during the process, why ffprobe times out, why so much data gets transferred over the wire during a scan and why it takes so long for a library scan to complete.

I still haven’t gotten a library scan to complete on the library. I had to stop it because it uses all my bandwidth on the server hosting the library. And this is only on a library with 20 some files. It would take weeks oh my movie library if I were to try it.

OK yes perhaps I am. I see you've enabled saving to NFO files. That will result in additional I/O. I don't even know why you enabled this anyway given that the server is being denied write access when it tries to save them:

2019-12-04 08:13:53.052 Error ProviderManager: Error in metadata saver
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.3.0.30
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
	Operating system: Unix 4.15.0.29
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Runtime: file:///opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 2
	Program data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/mnt/emby/UFC/UFC 196 McGregor vs Diaz (2016)/UFC 196 McGregor vs Diaz (2016).nfo' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

So that is something you could turn off for each library.

IkeTaylor11

@@Luke I created a new library, no NFO, thumbnail or subtitles checked for the library. The library is a single tv episode that is 1.22 GB in size. I ran the scan library task and got an ffprobe error. The scan did complete but it took awhile. I then tried to play the episode in the iOS emby app and got another ffprobe error. I know Emby has access to read and write to the directory because I am pushing my server backups there using the plugin. I have attached the log for review. 

emby_log_12_5_19.log

Yea the log looks clean other than that. I'm not sure at this point. There is probably a wrinkle related to webdav here that we're missing.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having trouble with webdav too.  ffprobe starts but seems to stop.

That's going to be a lot slower, right? We put a 20 or 30 second time out on media probes.