Windows 10- Sleep Mode

qlinyear

qlinyear

I have Emby Server on my home PC which is running Windows 10.  I thought I was having trouble connecting to Emby outside of my home network until I noticed something.  Whenever my home PC went to sleep mode after inactivity, it was not accessing the Emby port (8096).  I would use canyouseeme.org and yougetsignal.com and it would say that the port was not being accessed. As a result, I could not access my Emby Server.  After the computer was "woken" and not in sleep mode, canyouseeme.org and yougetsignal.com was not blocking the port and I could access my Emby Server.  Is my only option to disable sleep mode from my PC?

Is my only option to disable sleep mode from my PC?

Hi, if you're outside of your network, then yes I'm afraid so.

Emby Server will prevent the system from sleeping when users are actively using the server, but not when it idles. Once the system sleeps, you'll need to wake it up. Your options for doing this are:

• Figure out remote wake on lan (there are ways to do this, but you'll have to figure this out).
  • Or prevent your system from sleeping
  • FYI - Emby apps have a wake on lan feature, but this will only work from inside your home network

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
jonmagee

Is Wake on Lan still not something that's suppose to work from outside your network?  It seemed to be working when I was running windows 7, but now that I'm on windows 10, it's not.  I can remote wake on lan through a basic app on my phone, so I know all my port forwarding is setup correctly. 

If this isn't an option yet, is there a place I could vote for it to be added?

Edited by jonmagee

Correct. It is only supported in network. Please feel free to create a feature request topic. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Pkanarki

I use wake on wan.

Its possible for me with router with dd wrt firmware. Most consumer router firmware does not support broadcastadress and flush the arp when the pc is turned off after some time(minutes/hours)

I followed this guide about creating static Arp in router. I made it work on windows 7 with a router where i installed dd wrt firmware : https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

When upgraded to windows 10 it stopped working. But got it back working again by disabling windows fast startup (this was later activated by some windows update, and I therefore had to disable again in windows powersettings, so maybe that was what caused it to stop for the starter of this post?!

Otherwise a solution is to have a device(pc/raspererry pi, or other) which is turned on all time, it should be possible to have that device forward the magic packet/wake call to the computer which is shutdown.

Best regards

Ps thanks for Emby, love it

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, jonmagee said:

Is the wake on WAN functionality still not something that emby has built in?

Hi, Emby supports wake on lan.

cul8rmom1

So you want to be able to wake up your machine from outside of your network?!?  Put the IP address of your emby server in your router DMZ. (Just kidding dont do that.).  I am interested to know what you are trying to accomplish.  Is it that important that your machine sleeps?  Why not just edit the power settings and tell it not to do that?

You might be able to set up a VPN in order to make it look like your device is inside your network then maybe the emby WOL stuff would work?  I do that to keep all my goodies from being directly exposed to the interwebz.  I dont want no one to haxxor my MHz. Heh

Cheers,