Cinema Intros on a Per User/Device Level with More Control Over What Plays and in What Order

Mad Man with a Blue Box

Mad Man with a Blue Box

Right now it seems that you can only set this on a server level, turning it on means any user on any device gets the trailers, codec and custom intros, etc.

I would love to be able to have the cinema intros turned on and play trailers before movies I watch in our dedicated viewing room, but unfortunately others who use this setup don't like playing trailers and would prefer to get straight into the movie. So having it enabled means they have to put up with watching/skipping (if you can skip) through trailers on their devices.

It would be great to have more control within the settings for cinema intros and have it split up per user, that way when I login and watch things on my devices I can have as many trailers and codec intros and other stuff as I wish, but my wife can have it completely disabled for her user account.

For those with home cinema setups they could have that set to the full cinema experience with multiple trailers and custom intros, etc. while still having the ability to use other devices that just go straight to the movie.

It would also be nice to be able to choose what plays and in what order, with some kind of unlimited slots system where you can add a reorder intro slots and choose what type of trailer/intro plays in it.

Similar to how you can choose the order of display on the home screen it would be good to be able to add 5 slots  (or any number you like) and choose what to play in each slot .

For example, in slot 1 I would like this specific custom intro video to play, then maybe in slots 2,3 and 4 select for it to play a random movie trailer from online (without repeating the same one twice) chosen based on the type of movie playing (trailers for horror movies when watching one, comedies for comedies, action for action, etc.) and then in slot 5 choose to play the codec intro or whatever. You get the idea.

It would certainly aid in providing a much more realistic cinema experience for those who want it and allow each user to better customize their own experience.

Who else would like to see these kinds of settings? Be sure to like this post and maybe it will become a reality.

Edited by Mad Man with a Blue Box
  • Like 1

Right now it seems that you can only set this on a server level, turning it on means any user on any device gets the trailers, codec and custom intros, etc.

This is not correct.  Each app has an individual setting so you can already turn this on for some and off for others.

Mad Man with a Blue Box

This is not correct.  Each app has an individual setting so you can already turn this on for some and off for others.

When I go into the server settings from within a web browser and change the settings currently available for cinema intro and add let's say 1 trailer to play before movies, then I go into a different browser on a different device and login using a different account for that server, it too now plays that 1 trailer before the movies, even though it was a different user account and device that enabled the setting it still enabled it for all users and devices.

So, what am I missing?

Because as I see it there is one main cinema intros settings page that is for the whole server regardless of the logged in user or device being used and I have not seen any other settings elsewhere to modify this on a per user/device basis.

Also, some users don't even have permissions to edit any server settings (to keep people from messing things up) so within their browser or app interface there are no links for editing server settings.

Edited by Mad Man with a Blue Box

At the server level you setup the feature and the rules for it, and then from there each app has a setting to turn it on or off.

Mad Man with a Blue Box

At the server level you setup the feature and the rules for it, and then from there each app has a setting to turn it on or off.

OK I did a bit of exploring and I found the on off setting you are talking about, it was in the playback settings of my Android app for anyone else who had trouble locating it like I did, (I haven't checked my FireTV stuff yet will do that when I get home), so that is one piece of the feature request that is already implemented to some extent and will at least allow me to disable cinema intros on all devices except for the main cinema room for now, so everyone will not have to watch them the way I like them set up.

Right now, if you enable it, it plays a random custom intro video from the folder you set, with no option to choose a specific one for certain devices or users, for example having a unique custom intro video for the basement cinema screen and a different one for the living room, mobile devices, bedroom, etc. and it also only allows you to play the custom intro video at a specific point in the sequence, rather than giving you the option of when you want it to play, perhaps some would like it to before or after trailers or maybe even having a custom video play after the movie too or all of the above.

I would still love to see the other aspects of my feature request implemented at some point too, so that we can have finer control over the settings and which devices/users they apply to. Such as having a per user setting rather than having one main server setting that people then can either enable or disable on each new device they log in via. As well as the ability to choose how many trailers, which specific intro videos, codecs, etc. play and in what order they play, per user/device rather than just a simple on off with one main setup used for everyone. It would also be nice for admin to be able to edit this from within the server settings rather than needing to be on specific devices or logged in as a specific user to change how that user/device is set up. It was somewhat of a pain to have to go around each user account/device and modify the layout of the different media and how things display on the home screen etc. activating the grouping in collections setting for each user/device and so on, rather than having the option to be able to do it all from my main admin login too so I could do the initial setup and then let them modify the layouts on their devices themselves after that if they wish.

I'm sure there are others out there like myself who would like to be able to fully customize their cinema experience on a per user/device basis like this with more granular control over each different setting, even if you had to have some kind of advanced settings you could enable to do this and leaving it as is for a basic user who isn't interested in getting so detailed.

Myself I was hoping to be able to have a short custom video play first, something similar to the AMC and MJR intro sequences (maybe even some randomly picked locally stored video clips, funny fake ads or something) and for this to be different depending which device you are using, then have a set number of recent movie trailers play, then the specific clips for the movie production, distribution, codecs, etc. and then the movie (some may wish it in a different order or different numbers of each type to play, so full customization of this would be sweet).

Anyway, thanks for a really great product, I'm glad I at least have a way to disable cinema intros for some users while keeping it on for others and hope that my other feature requests may be considered for a future update.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Quek9

I love the ability to choose which intros are played. I have a custom built intro that I like to play before every movie but I would like to play a couple of intros prior to the custom one playing. For example my movie sequence would be like this after I select a movie to play. First, 3 random trailers, then 3 random intros, custom intro, then movie starts playing. Cinema Intros would be perfect if it allows me to execute this.

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, Quek9 said:

I love the ability to choose which intros are played. I have a custom built intro that I like to play before every movie but I would like to play a couple of intros prior to the custom one playing. For example my movie sequence would be like this after I select a movie to play. First, 3 random trailers, then 3 random intros, custom intro, then movie starts playing. Cinema Intros would be perfect if it allows me to execute this.

You should check Vantage Point plugin:

• Like 2