Windows Media Center not showing subtitles

kuebs

In Windows media center Emby, I am unable to find a way to display subtitles.

I know they are there and part of the file/folder because when I play the same file through the browser version on the same machine, I can display subtitles.

Yes, and you need to install some special stuff for them I think.  Honestly, it has been so long I can't remember.

I'll move this to the proper area and, hopefully, one of our long-time WMC holdouts can offer help :).

d00zah

What codec support is installed? I use Shark007 codec packs (not latest due to removal of LiveTV/extender support) & subtitle control is accessed via the VSFilter tray appelet, which loads when the player is launched. Pretty sure this will vary depending on preferred codec solution.

IIRC, there was also a WMC add-on that facilitated accessing subtitle control via remote, but I've never used it.

jachin99

Media control let's you control subtitles via ffdshow. Sharks might be much easier though. We need more information about which codecs you have installed

dansblackcat

I also use Shark codecs and subtitles for me work right out of the box, didn't need to set up anything.

However there's no setting built into WMC to be able to turn them on and off.  As mentioned above there are ways to do it.

Edited by dansblackcat

That's rather strange.  I have many shows with SRT downloaded files and WMC doesn't display them for me.

What he's saying is that it's not something built into WMC so you need to setup third part software in order for it to work.

jachin99

Another one to look at is mce remote plus by headsoft I think. It's much simpler than media control and might interface with lav.

dansblackcat

Another one to look at is mce remote plus by headsoft I think. It's much simpler than media control and might interface with lav.

No matter what I tried I was never able to get subtitles to work with LAV.  Uninstalled them and installed Shark and they worked.

jachin99

Yea I ran ffdshow with media control just before I dropped wmc because it gave me granular control of the picture properties in the wmc interface. Being able to choose audio tracks in wmc for movies was nice too but I never needed subtitles. Sharks was always simpler but I think I got a little more sharpness from ffdshow after I tweaked it. It was a lot more work though.

Edited by jachin99