Emby DVR/Live TV w/HDHomerun Prime & Spectrum Cablecard

thegibsons

thegibsons

Hi,

So I have a question about the Emby Live TV and DVR with HD Homerun Prime and cable card using Spectrum. 

I had PLEX and it would not play/record most of the Spectrum Cable Channels as they were DRM protected, they were fine on the HDHomerun Prime but not on the PLeX server.

So I checked and everyone kept saying Emby but after spending an hour reading threads here I am still unsure if Emby Premiere will play or record DRM channels.

I am not talking about encrypted channels like HBO, I know the difference.

Can someone just answer the basic question. With my current setup will Emby Premiere allow me to view/record these DRM channels from Spectrum via my HDHomerun Prime?

Thanks,

Randy

d00zah

No. CCI flags set to anything other than 'Copy Freely' require something like MS's PlayReady in WMC. Ponderous certification. Expensive licensing fees. Unlikely a project such as Emby could bear the cost of adding such support, but maybe someday... once they achieve dominance over the personal media server market :) . Tivo & WMC, I believe, stand alone in supporting DRM, although SD did try.

• Like 2

kanipek

I am not talking about encrypted channels like HBO, I know the difference.

Thanks,

Randy

Yes to encrypted. No to DRM.

d00zah

IIRC, decryption is handled by the HW (cable card, OCUR tuner) alone. CCI flagging (DRM) requires the addition of (something like) PlayReady. But encrypted channels often come w/ DRM restrictions, as well.

Edited by d00zah

No. CCI flags set to anything other than 'Copy Freely' require something like MS's PlayReady in WMC. Ponderous certification. Expensive licensing fees. Unlikely a project such as Emby could bear the cost of adding such support, but maybe someday... once they achieve dominance over the personal media server market :) . Tivo & WMC, I believe, stand alone in supporting DRM, although SD did try.

The Roku supports PlayReady. That would mean Tivo & WMC aren't standing alone. They are just the most obvious. The support for PlayReady for these types of channels would need to be incorporated into the Roku app. it isn't doing that already but it is indeed possible with the tools available. It just needs to be built-into the app eventually.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/content-protection.md

Edited by speechles

d00zah

I DID say "Tivo & WMC, I believe,...".  Fair cop, I don't use/follow Roku, so I guess I wouldn't know. I'm inclined, however (if I read your statement correctly), to draw an obvious distinction between 'currently supported' & 'capable, but not currently implemented'. Still, always glad to hear of additional alternatives. Pax