Subtitle not Synced and Videos Always Transcoded (Google Chrome Browser)

iBoss

Hi

• After updating the server to version 4.3.0.30, subtitle not synced in most of videos with Google Chrome Browser. it works perfectly with iOS/Apple TV

I have upload video and subtitle if you would like to test it. here is the link

• And another issue ... All movies are transcoded when I play them, before it's Direct play (Google Chrome Browser), of course I select max quality/bitrate but still transcoded.

All these issues weren't there with old version of the emby server 4.2.1.0

emby server ver 4.3.0.30

Lunix Ubuntu server 16.04.5

Client: Chrome Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit) - macOS 10.15.1

The log and transcoding file are attached. The video (8 bit and H264) is played at 1080p - 60 Mbps but still transcoded

Thanks

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-64ddcae5-fb17-4391-97be-60eeef2404fc_1.txt

• Like 1

And another issue ... All movies are transcoded when I play them, before it's Direct play (Google Chrome Browser), of course I select max quality/bitrate but still transcoded.

Hi there, is there a question? Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it is transcoding?

Hi there, is there a question? Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it is transcoding?

The exact same video was working as Direct streaming at version 4.2.1.0 but now it is transcoded; but .... There is something wrong, after I restart the server, the videos are now working as Direct streaming!!!

So, I thing there is some thing one the server was fixed after I restart it. but the subtitle still out of sync. please did you see the log?

Edited by iBoss

Even still, Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it is transcoding?

unfortunately No .. actually I just know that the status feature gives the reason of transcoding :(

if this happed again for sure I will check it.

Thanks

One thing at a time. Did you check what I mentioned to learn why it was transcoding? You haven't provided a transcoding log example for me to look at. You provided a remux log. There's no transcoding happening there.

There is no transcoding log .. only remux log. I say transcoding because at admin panel in Activity devices it was written transcoding. May be there is no transcoding but Activity devices show wrong information. Unfortunately I can not reproducing this issue again; after restarting the server it works normally. If this happen again I will report to you immediately.

Now the only issue is the sync of subtitle.

Thanks

So has this clarified why the remux was happening instead of direct play? The browser doesn't support eac3 audio, this has to be converted. It never did, so this would not have been any different with 4.2.1.

I've just noticed that there are "Direct Streaming" and "Direct Playing"

@@Luke please correct me if I'm wrong:

- Direct Playing: send the video and audio as it is without any encoding.

- Direct Streaming: send video direct but audio will be encoding

- Transcoding: transcode video and audio

right?

--------

OK now why emby do remux? remux mean: just moving media (video and audio) to another container like mkv without any encoding!! Is that mean it will transcode the audio and then it will remux (video and new audio) to the container before send it to emby client as Direct stream?

Edited by iBoss

• 2 weeks later...

You're asking why does it do remux? Didn't I already cover that above when I mentioned the audio format?

I know you said it do remux because the audio ... My question was only for my knowledge: why remux to convert it, can it convert without remux? what I know that the remux is only changing the container not for encoding. (maybe I'm wrong that why I'm asking)

So from what you said, now I understand that to convert the audio it should pull out the video and audio from the container and then convert the audio; finally put them to a new container (remux).

many thanks :)

So from what you said, now I understand that to convert the audio it should pull out the video and audio from the container and then convert the audio; finally put them to a new container (remux).

Yes exactly.

So now that leaves us with subtitles out of sync. Are you still running into that?

Yes and I'm ready to provide you anything that help you to fix it ...

I think yesterday when I tried with emby server beta; it seems fixed, let me try it with beta again tonight and let you know about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
iBoss

Hi @@Luke,

So sorry I could not reply to you.

Unfortunately, this still not fixed on both beta and stable version.

"subtitle not synced in most of videos with Google Chrome Browser. it works perfectly with iOS/Apple TV"
I have upload video and subtitle if you would like to test it. here is the link

emby server ver 4.3.1.0
Lunix Ubuntu server 16.04.5
Client: Version 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) (64-bit) - macOS 10.15.3

The log and transcoding file are attached.

Thanks

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-dca354cd-40a9-4d7b-95d8-3b255f529d82_1.txt

If you lower the quality setting to force a full transcode, how does that compare?

iBoss

If you lower the quality setting to force a full transcode, how does that compare?

It will be synced correctly with a full transcode

• 3 weeks later...

We're still looking into this, but yes it appears to only be when stream copying the original video.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...