Unable to connect to Emby Server outside of my home network Please help

Chris D

I have tried now for weeks to connect to the emby server outside my home network and it won't allow me always says "connection failure."

Is there someone here who can help me via team viewer please because I am not that computer savvy and get lost trying to read the issues others had and using those issues to try and help myself

but none have worked :-( I've wasted countless hours trying to figure this out and I've thrown in the towel :-( I need someone to help me do it remotely please.

Thank you all in advance

Chris

Edited by Chris D

LadyMont

If you are using a VPN you cannot connect to the Emby server outside your home network has been my experience. (not extremely technical myself, so there could be ways I am not aware of them.

Of you aren't running a VPN than you have to check your routers settings and enable port warding on the ipadress of the device you have you server running on. That fixed it for me.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

LadyMont

Sorry can't help you with that. Doesn't the manufacteror have like a guide to show you how to do it? Mine had.

LadyMont

Does your server change ports or does it have a set ipadress. Had troubles myself with the ip address changing on me.

LadyMont

I'm at a loss then. Hopefully maybe someone else may be able to help you and that you can get resolved.

LadyMont

NP. Hoped that what worked for me, would've worked for you. Good luck.

Edited by LadyMont

Hi there, I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed, and which ones do not. Thanks !

Been trying that link for weeks can't figure it out :-( tried everything according to my knowledge but I'm not that savvy when it comes to this stuff so I don't know what I did right or wrong.

I am able to connect remotely from my Plex app but not from my Emby app :-(

Edited by Chris D

seanbuff

I know you have said you had 'enabled' Port Forwarding, but have you explicitly forwarded port 8096 to the local host on your network that is running Emby Server?

Can you perhaps provide a screenshot showing how you configured your routers port forwarding?

miniliQuid

If it works for plex but not for emby and you don't have VPN or proxys or such running:

1. Check port forward for emby specifically, though if you managed for plex I think you will have managed for emby (8096 is the default emby port like seanbuff said)

2. Check firewall lines, add emby if needed (this could be on server/pc basis, but also within the router settings)

3. What AV do you run? make sure it isn't blocking your emby connection (disable for a bit, and try emby, if it works you know AV is blocking it. This can also be done for testing firewall, do not leave them off though).