Text Entry/Search not working with FireTV Cube and Harmony Ultimate

MyronAub

MyronAub

I have just upgraded my old FireTV box with the new FireTV Cube (model A78V3N) and have hit a problem with text entry for searching. Importantly I use a Harmony Ultimate remote to control everything rather than the standard Amazon remote.

So I click the blue search "magnifying glass" and a one-line input box appears saying "Search text (select for keyboard)" but when I click the OK/Select button (on the Harmony) it appears to generate a carriage return (see several blank lines in attached photo) instead of the normal soft-keyboard popping up on screen. Clicking OK again generates more blank lines and then an error pops up on screen "VolleyError com.android.volley.ServerError:" (I am guessing that the error is because Emby server cannot handle line breaks and so isn't really relevant but include it just in case.)

Everything else within Emby seems to work fine and everything works fine with Amazon Video, Netflix and Plex text search, it seems to be just Emby text entry affected - does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

post-373221-0-51991400-1575122301_thumb.jpg

Hi.  Is there any way you can find out what actual code the remote is sending?  It should be sending DPAD_CENTER.

MyronAub

Is there any way you can find out what actual code the remote is sending?  It should be sending DPAD_CENTER.

Unfortunately I cannot work out how to find which code is being sent by the FireTV Cube (2019 second generation.) If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears...

For reference, the Harmony select/OK button works fine in all my other apps including Amazon Prime, Netflix, Youtube and Plex just not Emby. However, while searching for an answer I did see reports that Hulu and HBO Go apps have the exact same problem if that helps at all.

For anyone else with the same issue, a clumsy workaround for now is to say "Alexa SELECT" instead of pressing the select/OK button to bring up the soft-keyboard.

Interesting.  The app doesn't actually control that functionality.  It is built into the Android edit text control and, I guess, it is looking for a specific key that is different from what your Harmony is sending.  Does it work with the Amazon remote?

You can probably configure the Harmony to send the proper key.

MyronAub

The app doesn't actually control that functionality.  It is built into the Android edit text control ....  Does it work with the Amazon remote?

Annoyingly Plex uses a similar search input box where you first press the Select/OK key to bring up the soft keyboard and that works fine with the Harmony buttons so I'm guessing there's more than one text input method available on the FireTV Cube. Yes, everything works fine with the Amazon remote.

You can probably configure the Harmony to send the proper key.

I did have a brief look for a way to do this, I'll spend a little bit more time following up on this approach, thanks.