Restore from Backup on New Machine

Sammy

CBers

That's the post that got me looking more closely at my paths. k:/ is from my old server and doesn't exist in this new one. I cannot find where to change it though.

You're not restoring the library.db file from your old server are you?

You need to start afresh, from the beginning and set up your libraries, pointing to where they exist under Windows.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

That's the post that got me looking more closely at my paths. k:/ is from my old server and doesn't exist in this new one. I cannot find where to change it though.

Change what? Just delete the directory and reinstall...

Can't I just tell Emby that the metadata is not in k:/ but rather where it is in c:/ ?

Still not sure what to delete. I do not find Emby Server executable in Program Files but rather in $\AppData\Roaming

Guest asrequested

Ok, I think we're a little out of step. I thought you were stuck on getting it uninstalled??? But apparently you've moved past that and have re-installed?? And now you're having directory location issues??? Where exactly are you in your process?

I moved the Emby Files from the %\AppData\Roaming location and then was able to re-install. I am now scanning my library. When that is done, I will do a limited restore of users, watched statins and hopefully my Scheduled Recordings. This has been a little bit of a deal but I'll get through it. Part of it is that it appears that Emby doesn't install itself into the Program Files directory but rather in the %\AppData\Roaming directory.

Happy2Play

That resided is your system.xml.  So if you restore it again you will get the same thing.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

I moved the Emby Files from the %\AppData\Roaming location and then was able to re-install. I am now scanning my library. When that is done, I will do a limited restore of users, watched statins and hopefully my Scheduled Recordings. This has been a little bit of a deal but I'll get through it. Part of it is that it appears that Emby doesn't install itself into the Program Files directory but rather in the %\AppData\Roaming directory.

Emby has alway installed into %appdata%.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

When that is done, I will do a limited restore of users, watched statins and hopefully my Scheduled Recordings.

That isn't backed up by the plugin. But the folder can be copied over from the original installation.

• Like 1

That resided is your system.xml.  So if you restore it again you will get the same thing.

Like the other path settings in Emby maybe this needs to be something configurable in the Dashboard?

At any rate, I'm rescanning the library now so I guess I'll get new metadata. I'm thinking this is where the hang was? I can now get to the webapp and see libraries in there whereas before it wouldn't load.

I won't restore the database, just users, watched status and scheduled recordings. Hopefully I can limit the restore to these items? Also, I suppose I could edit system.xml with notepad++ to set the correct path if system.xml gets restored?

I read the wiki, if you have custom paths and have a crash it creates a bit of a mess because you cannot set the paths to default when creating the Emby Backup because the Restoration is unplanned..

That isn't backed up by the plugin. But the folder can be copied over from the original installation.

Hmm. My previous boot drive c:/ is toast but I mostly recreated it on my beta Emby Server. Maybe I can copy it from there?

Edited by Sammy

Guest asrequested

Hmm. My previous boot drive c:/ is toast but I mostly recreated it on my beta Emby Server. Maybe I can copy it from there?

Only if you made the same schedules in the beta.

• Like 1

Only if you made the same schedules in the beta.

I recreated a pretty good portion of my scheduled recordings on my beta server. Where do I find this to import to this new installation?

Happy2Play

Like the other path settings in Emby maybe this needs to be something configurable in the Dashboard?

At any rate, I'm rescanning the library now so I guess I'll get new metadata. I'm thinking this is where the hang was? I can now get to the webapp and see libraries in there whereas before it wouldn't load.

I won't restore the database, just users, watched status and scheduled recordings. Hopefully I can limit the restore to these items? Also, I suppose I could edit system.xml with notepad++ to set the correct path if system.xml gets restored?

I read the wiki, if you have custom paths and have a crash it creates a bit of a mess because you cannot set the paths to default when creating the Emby Backup because the Restoration is unplanned..

That is one reason restore has selectable restore options.  But each customize path is still configurable via Dashboard-Settings-Cache Path, Dashboard-Library-Advanced-Metadata Path, Dashboard-Transcoding-Transcode Temp Path. 

But you can be manually edited Metadata and Cache paths in the system.xml.  And encoding.xml for transcode path. (in your backup folder)

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

copy the whole livetv folder

Did this. Restarted Server. No change. I manually updated my RecordedTV Schedule.

All is well now. What a PITA!

Thanks all for your assistance in getting it done!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yup! Having to tweak some things but it's working.

One thing is that it seems users will need a new invite to connect which should be automatically done?

One thing is that it seems users will need a new invite to connect which should be automatically done?

Yes, you will need to re-connect any Connect users because your server ID is now different and that information is kept not on  your machine.

Yes, you will need to re-connect any Connect users because your server ID is now different and that information is kept not on your machine.

Any way to change that?

Also my son is remote now and was initially set up via DDNS ip address and port. He doesn't have an email address. Can Emby Connect be made to work just with a mobile number? [i smell a feature request coming your way! LOL]

Any way to change that?

Not really because you simply blew away your old server.  There is no way for the system to know your new server is a new version of it.

Also my son is remote now and was initially set up via DDNS ip address and port. 

Why not just continue to use that?  Connect is just a convenience feature for people who don't have a DDNS setup.

• Like 1