When you realize your HTPC is part of a dying breed

frankmb

clarkss12

Here is my dual monitor setup, but the monitors don't have a connection for my newer HTPC....

post-38990-0-36322700-1575162450_thumb.jpg

I did a video a few months ago, showing Emby client running on 3 different OS's.  Windows 10, Android (Nvidia Sheild) and CoreELEC (Linux based).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2Fv0pkVVc&t=572s

Edited by clarkss12

Deathsquirrel

There is no argument which is the better experience HTPC wins that argument hands down every single time.

NOTE: That's VIEWING experience.  Every other experience of using something like a shield TV for playback is superior IMO.  It absolutely doesn't look quite as good once the movie is running, but it sounds identical, it is easier to use, easier to maintain, easier to setup, less prone to failure, etc.  It looks best but that's the only place it wins and that difference doesn't justify the other trade-offs to most.

It's not 'convenience' as some have said.  The overall experience is better for any audience that doesn't value rendering quality over everything else involved in getting a movie to play.

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

NOTE: That's VIEWING experience.  Every other experience of using something like a shield TV for playback is superior IMO. 

I feel the opposite way. I have both, and prefer the PC experience. Smoother more responsive, and this is with the same remote, as they are both connected to the same equipment.

Guest asrequested

Here is my dual monitor setup, but the monitors don't have a connection for my newer HTPC....

Any $40 Android box running LibreELEC/CoreELEC smokes any $10k HTPC.

Your Computer costs $10,000?

Guest asrequested

But making a color profile and using filters does make a significant difference. These things are not achievable on streaming devices.

vdatanet

What can an htpc do that libreELEC/CoreELEC can't do??

Try to play HDR content in a non HDR display and you will see the difference. 

I have only managed to play HDR content on a non-HDR display using a decent computer or with the Apple TV 4K. Although Apple TV 4K has the problem of audio passthrough, by Apple's decision not because of a limitation of the device.

Spaceboy

But making a color profile and using filters does make a significant difference. These things are not achievable on streaming devices.

yes but just read your mpv threads to see just how long you spend fiddling with them. To you that might be fun, but the majority just want to watch things
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

Try to play HDR content in a non HDR display and you will see the difference.

I have only managed to play HDR content on a non-HDR display using a decent computer or with the Apple TV 4K. Although Apple TV 4K has the problem of audio passthrough, by Apple's decision not because of a limitation of the device.

but you don’t need a htpc for hdr. Shield and Apple TV users can both get hdr at a fraction of the price and without all the fiddling

vdatanet

but you don’t need a htpc for hdr. Shield and Apple TV users can both get hdr at a fraction of the price and without all the fiddling

Yes, I know that. I was talking about playing HDR media on an SDR screen. Using Nvidia Shield in this case colors are washed. In this particular scenario, I have only achieved good results with an HTPC or with an Apple TV 4K using Infuse (mpv for Apple TV). I consider that it is not a rare scenario.

Edited by vdatanet

It isn't about convenience, it is about need.

95%+ of media consumers no longer need an htpc to get what they want.

full stop.

• Like 1

vdatanet

full stop.

That's true. But this isn't true: Any $40 Android box running LibreELEC/CoreELEC smokes any $10k HTPC

Guest asrequested

full stop.

Isn't that the definition of convenience? Having an easier way to achieve the same objective. Is that not the reason for smart TVs? So they have easy access to Netflix etc?

clarkss12

That's true. But this isn't true: Any $40 Android box running LibreELEC/CoreELEC smokes any $10k HTPC

I really don't much about HDR, my Samsung UN65KU6500 does not support HDR.  Under the video setting (Android), I have to turn off the SDR to HDR setting or the colors are washed out.

Right now, I have two mini PCs, running Emby Theater, and several Android devices, including a Shield that run the Emby client.  I also, have two boxes running CoreELEC.  All are connected to my TV through my Yamaha AVR.

The devices running CoreELEC by far, have the best picture and audio.  But this is all subjective, since I do not have the tools are knowledge to do any quantitative analysis.

post-38990-0-60768100-1575219428_thumb.jpg  post-38990-0-19248100-1575219445_thumb.jpg

vdatanet

Under the video setting (Android), I have to turn off the SDR to HDR setting or the colors are washed out.

But this refers to the UI, what happens when you play an HDR item on an SDR TV? Colors are washed out.

clarkss12

But this refers to the UI, what happens when you play an HDR item on an SDR TV? Colors are washed out.

I will test this file, will it show me anything??  I have never noticed any wash out of the colors, except the UI if I don't deselect the SDR to HDR.........

http://uhdsample.com/43-download-sony-bravia-make-glass-oled-4k-uhd-hdr10-60-fps-demo-video.html

Guest asrequested

You understand that a PC has far more tools at it's disposal than any other platform? That's what makes it the best. Is it convenient? Not really. But if you saw the picture quality that I have, I'm fairly certain you'd understand. And in my case, it goes beyond picture quality. I require functions that aren't possible on anything else. Granted, I'm in the extreme minority. And then there's compatibility. HTPCs support everything. Basic use case, trying playing an mpeg2 interlaced video/live stream, with seeking, in any other emby app, without the server getting involved.

Edited by Doofus

vdatanet

I will test this file, will it show me anything??  I have never noticed any wash out of the colors, except the UI if I don't deselect the SDR to HDR.........

http://uhdsample.com/43-download-sony-bravia-make-glass-oled-4k-uhd-hdr10-60-fps-demo-video.html

I have an Nvidia Shield in my bedroom connected to non HDR display, and when I play HDR content colors are washed out.

Guest asrequested

The mibox will tonemap quite well. Or at least the old one I had, did. Nothing to do with emby. It has/had it's own capability.

Jdiesel

It's on the shield TVs todo list but there is no eta yet. Last update was that there was going to be an update coming in 6 months. That was a few months ago already.

clarkss12

I have an Nvidia Shield in my bedroom connected to non HDR display, and when I play HDR content colors are washed out.

I just ran a test and used granddaughter as the judge.  In the bedroom I have a Philips 4k with HDR TV, that I used as a comparison.  You are correct.  On the Philips TV, the colors are much darker, where as on my Samsung, non-HDR TV, the colors ARE washed out in comparison.  I tested using VLC on both TVs.  On the Philips, I used the TV, and no external devices.  On the Samsung, I tested using the Nvidia Shield and my device running CoreELEC, both produced a washed out picture compared to the inexpensive Philips 4k TV.

I guess, I can test my miniPCs that are connected to my Samsung TV and see if there is any difference......

Guest asrequested

It's on the shield TVs todo list but there is no eta yet. Last update was that there was going to be an update coming in 6 months. That was a few months ago already.

That'll be a great addition. Any idea if this will be only on the new Shield?