Kodi (with EmbyCon) User : Considering Purchasing Emby Premiere

Dave3000

Dave3000

I'm right now using Kodi with EmbyCon addon installed and the Embuary skin.  I find the experience almost seamless, however, I find that the load times for like movie lists and the load time for EmbyCon to initiate connection with my Emby Server a bit too slow as I have to wait an additional 5-10 seconds after Kodi loads, just for EmbyCon to recognize the Emby Server, otherwise it won't play anything that's on my Emby Server.  I was considering purchasing Emby Premiere, just so that I can have Emby Theater for Windows on my PC.  Is Emby Theater for Windows quicker at these things than Kodi with EmbyCon?  Is there a way I can just purchase the Emby Theater for Windows app instead of purchasing a subscription to Emby Premiere?    

Edited by Dave3000

TeamB

Yes loading the widgets in the skin can be a little slower.

How is it for loading your list of movies, how long does that take?

You could try the skin cloner I wrote that clones and enabled the default skin with EmbyCon nodes and widgets and see how that compares.

Have a look in the EmbyCon FAQ about the SKin Cloner

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78547-embycon-faq/

TeamB

Is Emby Theater for Windows quicker at these things than Kodi with EmbyCon?

I think you can install and use Emby Theater before you purchase it, I think it is just limited to 60 seconds playback, this would give you a good idea how it is going to work for you.

sualfred

My 2cts:

I'm not a fan of ET for Windows. Basically because I'm used to Kodi. And for whatever reason it always felt "incomplete" to me. Cannot tell you why. Maybe it's the controlling, or the UI itself, missing of the powerful and snappy PVR part of Kodi, ... I can't tell. Personal opinion. My father is using it on the Xbox and is happy.

For my other family members I gave all of them the Android TV app. Still not as nice as Kodi but very snappy and has everything you need for a smooth UI experience. I also use it in my sleeping room.

If you are only using Embycon you never ever saw the complete Embuary features, because they require a native Kodi DB. But these features are just a nice to have. I think you will also be fine with one of the Emby native apps. Go for Premium. It's always a good idea to support software like this to keep the project running.

Dave3000

I just tried the 1-minute playback version of Emby Theater for Windows and I'm having a issue with it.  The issue is that I don't get audio during playback if I enable automatic refresh rate switching.  Enabling/Disabling Passthrough audio and Enabling/Disabling Exclusive Audio has no effect. Is there something I need to do to get audio when enabling automatic refresh rate switching?

Edited by Dave3000