Emby App UI

RS43

focuspuller

Perfect example of a smooth and clean interface. Very modern compared to Emby app.

I personally, would like something like this.

• Like 1

levander

Ok, now we're in danger of turning this into a list of random feature requests. Since the original poster made a direct comparison to other software, that's what I was looking to get your feedback on - presentation elements that you think other competing apps do better.

If you have a general feature request, please create a separate feature request topic as per usual:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/98-feature-requests/

Thanks.

In regard of detail screens Plex is BS just like the visuals presented here. Let’s just have the detail screen be the detail screen - with the details. The detail screen is emby’s visually strongest part and it does it far better than any other app.

If I would add something in detail screen I would like to see Studios listed and Director and Writers in separate row beneath the Cast. I wouldn’t remove anything.

miniliQuid

In regard of detail screens Plex is BS just like the visuals presented here. Let’s just have the detail screen be the detail screen - with the details. The detail screen is emby’s visually strongest part and it does it far better than any other app.

If I would add something in detail screen I would like to see Studios listed and Director and Writers in separate row beneath the Cast. I wouldn’t remove anything.

If I get the idea correctly it doesn't "remove" anything. Just places it behind tabs. So instead of scrolling down you would be pressing horizontally to see the next tab.

Which means everything is actually on screen, just hidden behind a button press.

I really like how that may clean things up and have a less bunched up look.

On top of that everything would be "visible"

levander

If I get the idea correctly it doesn't "remove" anything. Just places it behind tabs. So instead of scrolling down you would be pressing horizontally to see the next tab.

Which means everything is actually on screen, just hidden behind a button press.

I really like how that may clean things up and have a less bunched up look.

On top of that everything would be "visible"

Idea with tabs is terrible from several points: design, usability and developing. 

Every unnecessary click/interaction on the screen makes the screen much more “dirty” and that is bad. Good design is also about intuition and logic. Design should not compromise on those to achieve some effect which is imitation. It is unnecessary. Apart from that I can already imagine how long it would take to implement such changes in Apple TV for example (where 50% of functionality that other apps have is missing)

• Like 3

funwithmedia

Idea with tabs is terrible from several points: design, usability and developing. 

Every unnecessary click/interaction on the screen makes the screen much more “dirty” and that is bad. Good design is also about intuition and logic. Design should not compromise on those to achieve some effect which is imitation. It is unnecessary. Apart from that I can already imagine how long it would take to implement such changes in Apple TV for example (where 50% of functionality that other apps have is missing)

Yeah, I don't think Tabs are the way to go for a context in which the user might be using a Remote. When you are using a mouse tabs can be nifty, but scrolling down is way faster and more intuitive in a remote-control based environment.

But I applaud the effort of putting together some lovely mockups -- they're super-useful for these discussions and generating ideas! :)

chacawaca

Yeah, I don't think Tabs are the way to go for a context in which the user might be using a Remote. When you are using a mouse tabs can be nifty, but scrolling down is way faster and more intuitive in a remote-control based environment.

But I applaud the effort of putting together some lovely mockups -- they're super-useful for these discussions and generating ideas! :)

agree its maybe not the best on tv, but on mobile and desktop app, its really better.

Deathsquirrel

I get that we have a lot of new ex-plex users that are now checking out Emby.  I understand how they may want the Emby team to recreate the Plex UI for them.

That idea sucks.  Don't do it.

Please remember that for a lot of us Emby is not the thing we had to move to because Plex abandoned us.  I picked Emby OVER Plex.  I do not want Plex.  I'm fine with UI enhancements that make the tool better but if the argument is 'this is how Plex did it' then that's not cause to make a change.

The Plex UI shows about the same amount of info for a movie as the Emby UI.  It spaces it out more over the screen.  Emby could do the same thing but people would throw a fit that you were covering up more of their backdrops.  There isn't any winning that one IMO.

chacawaca

i dont think someone ask for plex ui. I just know that my wife can use netflix, apple music, tivo, but when she have to use emby she ask my kid to do it.

chacawaca

different reason, on different OS.

on android tv for exemple she have difficulty to find a movie that isnt on the main screen.  its easier with ios and theater search button is there all the time.

Maybe if search button like on main screen is there and genre tab is easier to find that should help.

i would need to ask her why she dont want to use it.

chacawaca

in movie list, when your view is tabbed. you have "all", "suggestion", etc, you have "genre" but it is near the end and no arrow show you that something is there. I had to explain her that you have more option there.

in movie list, when your view is tabbed. you have "all", "suggestion", etc, you have "genre" but it is near the end and no arrow show you that something is there. I had to explain her that you have more option there.

Well good news, I believe everything you've just commented on is already done in the android tv beta that went up today.

• Like 1

jachin99

I'll throw my vote behind leaving more info on the details screen. Being able to quickly find the the cast of a movie for example is useful because we don't like certain actors. I agree with the comment that the details screen should show details. The current setup works fine for that and the fanart backdrop is a nice touch for adding some depth. The great thing about emby is that it is a server program and you don't have to use their clients. You can use kodi or wmc or any other program that someone might want to write a client application for.

levander

i dont think someone ask for plex ui. I just know that my wife can use netflix, apple music, tivo, but when she have to use emby she ask my kid to do it.

I am sure that improving Suggestion tab could greatly improve this problem I also have. 

Latest releases

More from director

More from actor

More from writer

More from studio

More from year

More from collection

More by genre

More by tag

Random picked

Rewatch

Top rated

Lowest rated

etc. 

adamstewiegreen

My wife is the same, I think it's because most of these apps feel complete with one page that scrolls endlessly (or loops).

I'm not saying Emby should do this, the other apps are discovery tools and not media organizers. I'm just saying that there is little to get confused about when navigation is basically just endlessly scrolling down.

• 3 years later...
allineedis

I do agree with the OP. For me look wise infuse is the nicest looking app. What I like the most is the clean artwork and just the necessary first info and play button, etc… you want more info or actions you can scroll down.

emby feels a little like a spreadsheet with a blurred background , ok I am a bit harsh here, but the pictures on page 2 show exactly what I mean.

Maybe, fingers crossed, emby could consider a declutter or something along those lines.

Edited by allineedis