Emby App UI

RS43

Hi all,

Are there any plans to have a more 'slicker' Android app in the near future? Something more similar to Infuse or MrMC? Good example will be the all movie layout as this looks a little bit 'outdated' compared to other apps. Another option would be to have more skins in the app.

Keep up the good work.

Amazing for the quick reply! MrMC forum can learn from you guys :)

Basically what I want to see is the whole layout of Emby App. More fancier, slicker and showing posters nicer. When looking in all movie/series to have an amazing layout to show the posters ( i.e. scrolling vertically is causing the posters to have big gaps between them) In really love the web UI and would love to have this also for your apps.

Thanks

Hi Luke,

If possible same as Emby web UI. That skin is much better looking than the current one in Android tv Emby app regarding the whole design of showing posters and thumbs.

Hi there, can you please be more specific? Are you talking about our Android TV app, or our Android mobile app? I'm trying to take your feedback into consideration here, but at this point I don't have much information to go on.

Hi Luke,

I am talking about Android TV App. My question is if there are plans on short term to have the same layout for the Android TV app as the WebApp or have something similar to Embuary skin (kodi) available as MrMC and Infuse are showing there content really nice and much more 2020. Android TV App feels more a couple of years behind on defaukt skin layout compared to MrMC, Infuse, Plex..

So to summarise, any plans to redesign the whole look and feel of Android TV App and make it more in line with the WebApp UI or Embuary look and feel?

to have the same layout for the Android TV app as the WebApp

We are gradually moving in the direction of bringing them together, yes. It's not so much that one will look exactly like the other, but rather, we're gradually reconciling the differences and changing them both so that they're consistent with each other. The movie list will eventually get it's turn for this.

Hi. Our Android TV app interface is designed for TV use (far away and with a remote) and the web app is designed for close-up use (and point/touch).  There are different design principles for the two formats for ease of use.

Can you give us some specific examples (screen shots) of what you are asking for?

Thanks.

Hi ebr,

Thanks - it's more the whole feeling of the Android TV App. Fully agree different platforms need some specific skins but as I mentioned earlier the view options for Movie en Series secties are looking a little bit early nineties rather than 2020 compared to Plex and Web Ui.

So in general the Android TV App skin needs a refresher in general.

Edited by Rijsab

Hi Luke,

I do not know what to show to you. Homescreen of android TV App is more modern than navigating into the sections itself. Best comparison is Windows XP (for example Emby stands for XP) and Windows 10 (in this case Plex stands for Windows 10) regarding the whole Skin layout.

Hi Luke,

Yes indeed. This screen is really not 'fancy'. Posters should 'splash' of the TV screen and make it attractive and a well deserved showcase of movie/series library. This is however the case with Plex App, MRMC App and even Embuary Skin on Kodi

So it sounds like you're asking for a better background color with more contrast? Have you explored the theme options in the app?

Hi Luke,

I am actually asking to have a more minimalistic screen, better ratio of the posters. I have tried other colours as well but my favourite one is the default black skin. You have redesigned the home screen but not the underlying sections in my opinion.

arrbee99

Personally I prefer thumbs instead of posters and horizontal scrolling wherever I can get it. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

btw think there was quite a big discussion about item spacing when the app was getting the once over a while ago and as expected half said spread them out, half said waste of space move them together.

• Like 1

arrbee99

Ah well, people like different things, and Plex is pretty, but personally I'm not seeing a big difference except for maybe some nice fuzzy backgrounds on places like this -

5de2f54dc2821_PlexAndroidTVimage.jpg

• Like 1

breezytm

In my opinion Emby has the best server but is miles behind in UI/Skin layout compared to competitors.

I must admit, I do hear people I show Emby to say the same thing. A lot. I somewhat feel the same way. I rarely ever use Emby Apps since MediaBrowser on WMC. I loved that UI. I use EmbyCon with Kodi.

AnywayI think the server is pretty dope. No one can argue that. But the apps are well let's say not appealing to most. Whereas Plex server is okay but their app are pretty damn well "Pretty".  I spent some time starring at them both on Friday since I was recommending Emby to a friend and he told me how he didn't like the iOS app for Emby. And when I asked him why he couldn't explain it. He simply said the Plex app looks much more slicker. As I kept starring at them both App on my phone I started to wonder whether it is the color differences between the apps or is it because there is more on the screen for Emby. Simplicity I guess. When I came home I asked my wife why is that she always use Plex instead of Emby since they both have the same content she says she does not like the Emby Android TV app. She could not explain it either. 

After staring for a while I start to wonder if it is the letter sizes. For Example: Library title likes Movies, TV Shows, Live TV, etc... Are really small in Plex apps but huge in Emby apps. They are occupying a lot of real estate but I am not so certain as to why. 

Anyway, I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way. I know @@ebr you put a lot of work into these things but you guys may want to consider doing some sort of poll and see what people are thinking about the look and feel of your apps. And then take the feedbacks to design team. I am also 100% certain it's the color and the fonts sizing. 

Edited by breezytm
  • Like 1

I believe you are right by saying these things and could not explain better.

If we could have the embuary skin on the android tv app it would be really awesome and makes Emby App the best and would delete all other apps such as Plex and MrMC for definately.

levander

I don’t mean to insult anyone but I think not everybody is aware that behind good and successful design there is designer. It’s a dedicated profession and there is much knowledge involved apart from gift. I don’t doubt there is someone who has that knowledge working for Plex and it’s pretty obvious that emby or kodi rely on enthusiasts in that regard. So by guessing what is “wrong” and how to improve it “democratically“ over the forums things can only get more awkward. 

You are right mate.

As said before Emby server is the best and we all know all persons are working hard to keep the server the best.

All comments before are just requests and not to criticize anybody!