Photo

New toolbar issue...

Best Answer ebr , 29 November 2019 - 02:47 PM

You have music in a "Mixed Content" library?

To my knowledge that is not supported so any functionality you are getting is basically just a lucky coincidence.

Why not just put these in a separate music library?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Local time: 12:41 PM

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

So i was attempting to play a little holiday music yesterday.  In my mixed content folder that i just don't want to give up on just yet.

When the music is displayed in there each track on any given album is displayed individually.  Not a great way to view an album, but realize this is not an approved way of adding music to the library.  So i live with this display.  It was still functional.  I don't want this holiday stuff showing up in my other libraries.

Realized i could only play the tracks one at time now by hitting play button on the roku remote after highlighting the track i wanted to hear.  The play icon and the shuffle icon both pop up a message (i just went up to verify this is still broke, but cant remember what it said already).  Not the malformed data one, but another that basically said it can't be done.

On the server side both theater and going thru the home screen work with shuffle and play all.

Will provide log via PM if required.

Thanks!

Edited by skidmarks, 29 November 2019 - 02:35 PM.

#2 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:47 PM   Best Answer

You have music in a "Mixed Content" library?

To my knowledge that is not supported so any functionality you are getting is basically just a lucky coincidence.

Why not just put these in a separate music library?

• skidmarks likes this

#3 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:09 PM

Thats what i've been told (music in a mixed content folder), results are not guaranteed...  ;)

It worked pretty darn well for the longest time.  But the way it displays. and without shuffle or play all, i guess that will make me have to incorporate all these holiday albums into a new music library.

Guess i'll just get rid of the holiday mixed content folder altogether.  Why did i have this set up this way?  First and foremost, it worked.  I cant remember which is my left sock and which one in my right anymore (yes i'm being over dramatic for effect, shock and awe), but i wanted all this stuff available from one central library on the server.  Holiday (mixed content folder) included sub folders for each holiday individually and sorted by TV Specials / Movies / music and videos.  One stop shop.  I organized this perfectly for what i wanted.  And it worked.  One library folder (mixed content) set up in the server looked better to me that multiple libraries that only get used once a year.

It's good.  Forced my hand.  I'll resolve this issue on my side.

Thanks for the reply...

#4 Spaceboy OFFLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4019 posts
  • Local time: 05:41 PM

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

Thats what i've been told (music in a mixed content folder), results are not guaranteed... ;)

It worked pretty darn well for the longest time. But the way it displays. and without shuffle or play all, i guess that will make me have to incorporate all these holiday albums into a new music library.

Guess i'll just get rid of the holiday mixed content folder altogether. Why did i have this set up this way? First and foremost, it worked. I cant remember which is my left sock and which one in my right anymore (yes i'm being over dramatic for effect, shock and awe), but i wanted all this stuff available from one central library on the server. Holiday (mixed content folder) included sub folders for each holiday individually and sorted by TV Specials / Movies / music and videos. One stop shop. I organized this perfectly for what i wanted. And it worked. One library folder (mixed content) set up in the server looked better to me that multiple libraries that only get used once a year.

It's good. Forced my hand. I'll resolve this issue on my side.

Thanks for the reply...

wouldnt a collection be more suitable for that?

#5 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:16 PM

wouldnt a collection be more suitable for that?

Someone let me know if i am wrong, but the only way for something to be added to a collection is if it is already in a library.  So that means Holiday movies need to be in my main movie library. Holiday music needs to be in the music library.   TV holiday specials need to be in the tv library.  So it is basically viewable all the time from these different libraries.  Thats what i was avoiding by putting all this in the mixed content folder.  There and only there if you want to view these items, 

At one point, when i set this up years ago, i don't think you could access mixed content folder items anywhere else besides the mixed content folder?  You know, like in because you watched suggestions or in box sets. 

So yes, i am left with no other choice now but to add these where they "belong". 

I'm starting to believe that this has now become a case of it is what it is. 

Edited by skidmarks, 29 November 2019 - 07:51 PM.

#6 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:59 AM

You could either put them in separate libraries and hide those libraries at times of the year when you don't want them, or you could keep them physically separated in your file system as now and add those paths to your normal libraries and only give access to those paths at the times you want them.

Just some other ideas to think about...

#7 Spaceboy OFFLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4019 posts
  • Local time: 05:41 PM

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

Or have a “holidays” user that has access to those libraries as well as your standard ones, where your normal user did not?

#8 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Thanks guys for these suggestions.  I decided to add one new library for holiday music.  Leaving my video related items in the same mixed content folder broken down by specific holidays.  So now i have a Holiday (Video) and a Holiday (Audio) library.

I used to use the method of making libraries viewable at certain times of the year.  It was a good solution at the time.  But that was when i had a separate library for each specific holiday.  The mixed content folder has everything (still broken down by specific holidays) in one place and available year round.  A great permanent solution. 

It's just messy to me having all of this holiday stuff lumped into the main libraries. 

It's all good.  I can live with one more library.  And the albums display a lot better (obviously) in a music library.

Thanks....

Edited by skidmarks, 30 November 2019 - 03:56 PM.

• ebr likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users