Roku app "sticks" on login

Starlionblue

I have had this happen on remote connections too. It is when the server is performing a library scan. I can reproduce it just not every single time.

@@ebr we may need a setting for users. Maybe something like "High Latency Support: YES or NO" ... Then we know to double every single timeout in the app if they enable this "high latency" setting? This would give users control over the speed of their intial connection. The problem with that is because it is buried inside settings you must be logged into the app to even get that far. So it might need some timeouts extended regardless. This is important that initial connections do not fail because we aren't waiting long enough.

Starlionblue

Sounds like maybe something is timing out and the app isn't handling it very well.

Can we see a server log from when this happens?

Here you go. Log "2" was when I tried once, got stuck, then tried again and succeeded. Log "3" has three unsuccessful attempts.

Can you tell me your exact steps and the timing of them here because that first log looks like there is less than a second between the attempt you said failed and the one that succeeded.

Starlionblue

• Start Emby on Roku.

"Welcome to Emby" and spinning circle for a couple of seconds.

Select server screen with the users on the right.

Click on a user.

(- If user has a password, spinning circle for a couple of seconds, then password screen and click.)

Spinning circle. If login successful, 2-4 seconds, then home screen loads. If login unsuccessful, "Welcome to Emby" disappears and I get endlessly spinning circle. 

Edited by Starlionblue

Starlionblue

Can you try the beta version of the app and see if you can still make this happen?

I tried it. Seems to login fine every time, though to be fair I've only tried a handful of times.

Starlionblue

I spoke too soon. Both beta and production apps had the problem at the same time. Restarted the Roku but even after that it took 3-4 attempts.

@@Starlionblue I still have your info from the last time I attempted to find the cause of this. If this is still an issue for you I can try this again today (connect to your server and login) and try to get to the bottom of it. Everytime I tried before it successfully connected. I couldn't reproduce the failure but maybe today I can. Let me look into this and I will get back to you in this thread. 

Note: Was your server scanning the library while this occured? Was there any other bandwidth hogs on your network your server also shares? If no to both of those it isn't environmental it is something else.

Edited by speechles

Starlionblue

@@Starlionblue I still have your info from the last time I attempted to find the cause of this. If this is still an issue for you I can try this again today (connect to your server and login) and try to get to the bottom of it. Everytime I tried before it successfully connected. I couldn't reproduce the failure but maybe today I can. Let me look into this and I will get back to you in this thread. 

Note: Was your server scanning the library while this occured? Was there any other bandwidth hogs on your network your server also shares? If no to both of those it isn't environmental it is something else.

Sure go for it.

No scan or bandwidth hogs. I mean it's Wifi to the Roku but the access point is not far away.

• 4 months later...
Starlionblue

Hi again.

This issue was, if not gone, at least not cropping up very often. In the past few weeks it is taking me 5-6 attempts to log in to Emby.  :(

Anything changed? I'm using the latest Roku client and Server 4.5.0.9 Beta on Qnap.

Can you provide a server log with detailed times of when you attempted to log in?

Starlionblue

Can you provide a server log with detailed times of when you attempted to log in?

Hey. Sorry that took so long.

Here you go. It is the file "Emby Server log Roku login 4". I made two login attempts. The first was unsuccessful and stuck. The second worked. It has gotten really bad again these past few weeks.

The other logs are older but show the same phenomenon from a few months ago.

2019-11-29 12:16:18.056 Info TaskManager: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Organize new media files
2019-11-29 12:20:31.392 Error PortMapper: Error creating port map

It looks like the Auto-Organize plugin is not working correctly for you.

In your logs it looks like the Roku is authenticate successfully and it is reissue the token. But I do see repeated connection attempts after success. Like the Roku for some reason attempts to connect again right after a successful connection for some reason.

You can try removing all the Roku devices from the devices tab on your Emby server. Do not worry they regenerate the next time a Roku device connects. It will force the Roku to regenerate authentication. This may solve the problem. Before you delete the Roku devices on the server you need to clear the data from the Roku app. Launch the app and go to settings. Find the "Reset Settings" option and click it. After you click it you need to immediately exit the Roku app with the home button of the Roku remote. Then delete the Roku devices from the server devices tab. Now restart the Roku app and it should start as if it was first time run. You will have to set everything up again but this will hopefully clear out whatever is causing problems for you.

Edited by speechles

Starlionblue

2019-11-29 12:16:18.056 Info TaskManager: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Organize new media files

2019-11-29 12:20:31.392 Error PortMapper: Error creating port map

It looks like the Auto-Organize plugin is not working correctly for you.

In your logs it looks like the Roku is authenticate successfully and it is reissue the token. But I do see repeated connection attempts after success. Like the Roku for some reason attempts to connect again right after a successful connection for some reason.

You can try removing all the Roku devices from the devices tab on your Emby server. Do not worry they regenerate the next time a Roku device connects. It will force the Roku to regenerate authentication. This may solve the problem. Before you delete the Roku devices on the server you need to clear the data from the Roku app. Launch the app and go to settings. Find the "Reset Settings" option and click it. After you click it you need to immediately exit the Roku app with the home button of the Roku remote. Then delete the Roku devices from the server devices tab. Now restart the Roku app and it should start as if it was first time run. You will have to set everything up again but this will hopefully clear out whatever is causing problems for you.

That seemed to do the trick. Let's hope it continues working.

Thanks!  :D

• 3 weeks later...
Starlionblue

Unfortunately this issue keeps reoccurring.

I can fix it by removing the Roku from the device tab but a day or two later the same thing happens.

@@Starlionblue How many Roku devices are in use at your location? What are the "device names" of the Roku? If there are special characters and such in the device name this can cause problems eventually.

Just so you know. I have 5 Roku at my location. On my main RokuTV I have no issues. But on the second RokuTV I have some issues. The two RokuTV are identical models and clones. But on that second RokuTV it is damn near impossible to cast to it. It takes 20 tries and maybe 2 of those work. Whenever it does allow casting it seems to restart the application all over again even if it is already running. But on the first RokuTV casting works perfectly. It doesn't restart the app on the first RokuTV. But the second RokuTV is a pain in the ass. The second has (DESK) in the device name. Those damn parenthesis might be causing it. I will be finding the cause of this problematic casting issue and respawn the application for no reason BS.

I plan on investigate this further as presently we are finishing up the casting for the Roku and these problems are coming to the surface. It is super annoying and I agree.

The problem with "Login" has to be related to the timeouts being too low. I will get with the team later today and see what we can do about allowing these to be larger again.

The reason we shortened the timeouts is because users complained about wait times to connect. We have straightened out the logic in our connection manager so extending the timeouts shouldn't cause too much problem as long as they are not extended too far. Will need to find the "sweet spot" and see what we can do about this.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Starlionblue

@@Starlionblue How many Roku devices are in use at your location? What are the "device names" of the Roku? If there are special characters and such in the device name this can cause problems eventually.

Just so you know. I have 5 Roku at my location. On my main RokuTV I have no issues. But on the second RokuTV I have some issues. The two RokuTV are identical models and clones. But on that second RokuTV it is damn near impossible to cast to it. It takes 20 tries and maybe 2 of those work. Whenever it does allow casting it seems to restart the application all over again even if it is already running. But on the first RokuTV casting works perfectly. It doesn't restart the app on the first RokuTV. But the second RokuTV is a pain in the ass. The second has (DESK) in the device name. Those damn parenthesis might be causing it. I will be finding the cause of this problematic casting issue and respawn the application for no reason BS.

I plan on investigate this further as presently we are finishing up the casting for the Roku and these problems are coming to the surface. It is super annoying and I agree.

The problem with "Login" has to be related to the timeouts being too low. I will get with the team later today and see what we can do about allowing these to be larger again.

The reason we shortened the timeouts is because users complained about wait times to connect. We have straightened out the logic in our connection manager so extending the timeouts shouldn't cause too much problem as long as they are not extended too far. Will need to find the "sweet spot" and see what we can do about this.

Thanks for the extensive explanation.

I only have the one Roku. No special characters, unless space counts. The device name is my last name, a space, and "Roku".

• 4 weeks later...
Starlionblue

Since this new version came out a a week or two ago (4.0.4 I think), the login has worked fine. No issues with sticking. ☺️

4 hours ago, Starlionblue said:

Since this new version came out a a week or two ago (4.0.4 I think), the login has worked fine. No issues with sticking. ☺️

Thanks for the feedback.

Starlionblue

Unfortunately it started happening again today.. I tried removing the device but that fix isn't working either. Log here.

Kept trying and it finally worked. Log here.

Edited by Starlionblue

Starlionblue
6 hours ago, Luke said:

What exactly happened?

After entering my password, I got spinning circle with "Welcome to Emby" and the time top right. I waited several minutes but no change.

And the circle was spinning for the whole time (it never stopped)?

Is this a remote login?

Starlionblue
1 hour ago, ebr said:

And the circle was spinning for the whole time (it never stopped)?

Is this a remote login?

Yes it just kept spinning and never stopped.

Not remote. Roku and NAS are on the same subnet at home.

If you use DB Browser for SQLite then load your library.db into that program it might help. Under the same file menu as "open" is the "compress" command. Choose compress and let it finish. It may look like the program hung but let it finish it didnt hang it is just compressing. Once compressed better maybe things load faster? I've had this problem before when Windows was updating at the same time as Emby was opening. Windows updates are obnoxious and follow no sane schedule and seem to want to run right when you want to do things with your network.

Edited by speechles