Roku app "sticks" on login

Starlionblue

Starlionblue

In the past week or two, the Roku app has more often than not been stuck on "spinning circle" after the user password is entered.

Typically this can be resolved by going back to Roku Home and then restarting Emby. However sometimes a full restart of the Roku is required.

Server log can be found here. 

Any suggestions?

Starlionblue

Oops! The dashboard was not showing an update notice. (It is now.)  :)

I'll try that.

Edited by Starlionblue

Starlionblue

Hiya. Sorry it took so long to get back. I'm still having this issue after I updated.

Here's the latest server log. The first login attempt was unsuccessful and hung at "spinning circle". I went back to Roku Home and tried again, and this time it worked.

I went back to Roku Home and tried again, and this time it worked.

And then does it happen again after that?

Starlionblue

It isn't a consistent error unfortunately.

Typically, the first login after starting the Roku hangs. But not always. Typically, subsequent logins do not hang.

Starlionblue

Are you signing in with Emby Connect, or your local login?

Local login. I have 4-5 users and only I have an Emby Connect account.

I see login succeeding from the server standpoint.  Exactly where does this happen.  Please tell us step by step each screen and input.

Also, when it "sticks" is the spinner spinning or stopped?

Starlionblue

I see login succeeding from the server standpoint.  Exactly where does this happen.  Please tell us step by step each screen and input.

Also, when it "sticks" is the spinner spinning or stopped?

• I click on the Emby app in Roku. There's a brief loading period with "Welcome to Emby" (I think) and a spinner.
  • The "Select server" screen comes up.
  • I click on a user.
  • The enter password screen comes up.
  • I enter the password and press enter.
  • This is where it gets stuck. Spinning circle on screen.

The circle keeps spinning. I've waited several minutes with no effect. By contrast with a successful login the main Emby screen starts loading within a few seconds-

Starlionblue

Can you back out of the spinning circle?

Pressing "back" has no effect. The only way to get out of it is to press Roku "Home", which brings me back to the home screen. I can then start Emby again and try to log in again.

I left a PM to explain what to do. I have a few hours this morning to chase this otherwise it may take until tonight before I can check this. It is my daughters 21st birthday today. Going to do the cake, gifts, and then let her go bar hopping with her friends. Every 21st birthday involves booze and that is natural. Drink with your parents is lame. I agree.  ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Haha 1

@@Starlionblue

Thank you for access to your server.

Now for the good news:

Testing this and... it works flawlessly for me. I can enter but every time I have to enter credentials again. Just tried this again this morning and it works fine. It isn't respect the fact I have remember user set but it does let me manually log in which then logs me in and loads the home screen.

Now the bad news:

It worked for me consistently. I have no idea what causes this hang for you. Is this consistent for you that it fails to login and sticks? Perhaps you need to go to your Emby server dashboard and look at the devices tab. Delete every Roku listed there. Do not worry that is just a list of devices that have connected and their auth token to identify with next time.  When the apps connect to your server again they will show in the devices tab again. That is all the devices tab is. A way for you to identify "what" has been on your server. Maybe somehow that has misidentified you? It is possible. 

If this is still an issue for you when using the latest Emby Beta for Roku please let us know. We want to solve this if this is an issue for you. Thanks. ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Starlionblue

@@Starlionblue

Thank you for access to your server.

Now for the good news:

Testing this and... it works flawlessly for me. I can enter but every time I have to enter credentials again. Just tried this again this morning and it works fine. It isn't respect the fact I have remember user set but it does let me manually log in which then logs me in and loads the home screen.

Now the bad news:

It worked for me consistently. I have no idea what causes this hang for you. Is this consistent for you that it fails to login and sticks? Perhaps you need to go to your Emby server dashboard and look at the devices tab. Delete every Roku listed there. Do not worry that is just a list of devices that have connected and their auth token to identify with next time.  When the apps connect to your server again they will show in the devices tab again. That is all the devices tab is. A way for you to identify "what" has been on your server. Maybe somehow that has misidentified you? It is possible. 

If this is still an issue for you when using the latest Emby Beta for Roku please let us know. We want to solve this if this is an issue for you. Thanks. ;)

Thanks very much for taking the time to personally have a look.

I updated the server to 4.4.0.1 yesterday, and have not had issues since then. We shall see how it goes moving forward. :)

Edited by Starlionblue

Thanks very much for taking the time to personally have a look.

I updated the server to 4.4.0.1 yesterday, and have not had issues since then. We shall see how it goes moving forward. :)

NICE. ^_^

It is always awesome when the problem just solves itself. If you have any other issues please bring them up. We want everyone happy. If you are not please tell us why and where the problem lies and what we can do to increase your happiness. Thanks.

Starlionblue

I'll add that it doesn't make a difference whether the account is password protected or not.

Listening to the QNAP while trying this, there is hard drive "chewing" from the moment I click "ok" after entering the password (or clicking passwordless user icon). In cases where the login is successful, the chewing continues as the Emby main page is displayed. In cases where the login is unsuccessful, chewing stops once the spinning circle has been going 2-3 seconds.

Sounds like maybe something is timing out and the app isn't handling it very well.

Can we see a server log from when this happens?