Emby can't recognise music files

DJ...
Go to solution Solved by Deathsquirrel,

34 minutes ago, Funky me said:

Am  Having the same problem all of a sudden, tracks not listed in folder, did you find a solution DJ?

On 5/6/2021 at 4:58 PM, Funky me said:

Am  Having the same problem all of a sudden, tracks not listed in folder, did you find a solution DJ?

Hi there, yes please go over a specific example. Thanks !

• 1 month later...
ramseyn

Same problem jete:

Mymusi

|_>Nightwish

|>Decades live in Burnos Aires

|> [no files shown]

I thought maybe not recognising .flac so I changed one to an mp3 but still empty.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, ramseyn said:

Same life problem:

Mymusi

|_>Nightwish

|> [no files shown]

I thought maybe not recognising .flac so I changed one to an mp3 but still empty.

Can you show the content type set for the library.

• Like 1

ramseyn

Same problem jete:

Mymusi

|_>Nightwish

|> [no files shown]

Music. This just another artist file like hundreds of others at the same level  all of which show properly.

ramseyn

Music. This just another artist file like hundreds of others at the same level  all of which show properly

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, ramseyn said:

Same problem jete:

Mymusi

|_>Nightwish

|> [no files shown]

Music. This just another artist file like hundreds of others at the same level  all of which show properly.

So you are saying specific files are not showing up in your content type Music library, but all other music appears?

ramseyn

Yes.

Mymusic:artist:album:files.flac

All my others are mymusic:artist:album:files.mp3

They all show up, but the new folder with .flac does not.

I'm going to run Picard tomorrow but as these ate audio rip from a dvd I don't think it will match anything in the databases and I will need to set all the tags manually. At the moment I think they all say the artist name as the title  so all the same title tag and not showing at all in Emby.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, ramseyn said:

Yes.

Mymusic:artist:album:files.flac

All my others are mymusic:artist:album:files.mp3

They all show up, but the new folder with .flac does not.

I'm going to run Picard tomorrow but as these ate audio rip from a dvd I don't think it will match anything in the databases and I will need to set all the tags manually. At the moment I think they all say the artist name as the title  so all the same title tag and not showing at all in Emby.

Do they appear in Folder view/Folder tab?  But does sound like a embedded tag issue.

Happy2Play
29 minutes ago, ramseyn said:

I don't have a folder tab on the phone. Will have to wait until I can look on the PC tomorrow.

What client is missing this tab?

ramseyn

Android. And the Web running on an android browser. 

When you say tabs there aren't really tabs as such on android so I assume you mean items on the left of the Settings page or at the top of the Home page.

In fact on Windows 10 browser there is no "Folders" item anywhere I can see. Maybe I am going blind?

Edited by ramseyn
Further update after getting to my PC

ramseyn

So, some googling and then playing around in the settings has got me a Folders item in the Music library!

Nightwish is in the folder list, and if I click it I get the Decades Album in there.

10 of the 21 tracks are shown and all but one say the title is "Nightwish". From the previous screenshot you can see Picard has some issue with unidentified items if I am reading their icons correctly.

Basically it seems Emby is dependent on MusicBrainz and anything not in the MusicBrainz database, or that may be slightly different in audio signature and not recognised by Picard, will not be handled correctly in Emby.

Interestingly, it has found images for Nightwish to display - how, I do not know.

(Why can't we have something that just recognises your file names and displays the structure you have in your folders and the filenames you use? Being forced into someone elses methods of organising that may not fit your purpose is a pain, particularly when tat system doesn't work if a 3rd party database doesn't contain your files. Suppose I had home recorded audio - it wouldn't show up because MusicBrainz doesn't know about it.)

Emby capture 14 June No 2.JPG

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, ramseyn said:

Android. And the Web running on an android browser. 

When you say tabs there aren't really tabs as such on android so I assume you mean items on the left of the Settings page or at the top of the Home page.

In fact on Windows 10 browser there is no "Folders" item anywhere I can see. Maybe I am going blind?

What tabs to you see in your music library?

example

folder.thumb.jpg.5b094ac7f5d3d1544ce36b5a04fddd28.jpg

With Emby going embedded metadata driven it is required for all tabs except the folder tab.

ramseyn

I tried creating a test Music library and it produces just as inconsistent results but they are different. It has picked up some MusicBrainz info somewhere but it is wrong and thinks the album is something completely different, then adds other tracks tat are from entirely elsewhere in my library, presumably because their album tag matches what MusicBrainz think is this album. Too complicated to explain...

image.thumb.png.a8b99dffd2d0381f57edc9d80cef7ef0.png

ramseyn

See this, correct number of tracks, strange order, some tracks with no track number (though their metadata does have track numbers):

image.thumb.png.f7da6a8a90d8fbeae4c38d1e0a656795.png

But if I look at the album metadata:

image.thumb.png.f288c6a88b38b8d075d1156956fc5b2c.png

Completely the wrong directory. The tracks also say in metadata that this is the folder for them but it is not where they are located!

ramseyn

I tell a lie - it IS where they are located, but that's not where I put them! Either Picard or Emby has moved them!

Confirmed it is Picard. When I correct track numbers in the tags and have to save the changes, it moves a good part of the tracks to that wrong folder.

Picard is a piece of rubbish as far as I see it. You can't correct the incorrect tab info it picks up, without it moving your files without permission. Perhaps there is a way to stop that in Preferences but it is sill picking up wrong information from the databases or it wouldn't move it.

ramseyn

Done that.  The odd sequence seems to be album.nfo. I edited to put tracks in correct order but that hasn't changed the way it displays - rather, the .nfo file has just been overwritten by something with the wrong order again, as well as with track numbers removed from some tracks and putting them on disc 2 (which doesn't exist). Also the album art has now changed and is not the correct art.

Deathsquirrel

@ramseyn If you don't like Picard you can use any number of other tools.  Picard is nice because it will automatically populate the tags for most music with reasonable accuracy.  That said, you can just manually tag things using a tag editor like MP3Tag and that would work fine for Emby's needs.  Personally I run everything through Picard and then manually do some cleanup in MP3tag to ensure all the tags conform with my preferences.  That means I delete all the tags Picard populated that I don't need, I change the release date to match the formatting used in all my existing music, and edit the Artist and Genre tags to work correctly with Emby.  All told, processing a single album completely takes perhaps a minute.

Happy2Play

Lately I have been using only mp3tag's musibrainz (quick) search as it is giving the same results a Picard.  Then make any manual modifications needed.

ramseyn

And if the tracks are from a BluRay video and don't appear as audio tracks in MusiBrainz, how will that affect Emby? It seems to fill in its own, incorrect, IDs and then show the track in the wrong place altogether?

I'd need to check again if this is actually happening but I recall it from some time ago - hard to tell with these albums as I have these other problems getting Emby to show them properly.

I am much more at home with MP3Tag which I find far more logical than Picard.

Happy2Play
On 6/14/2021 at 3:31 AM, ramseyn said:

and putting them on disc 2 (which doesn't exist).

Well technically it does depending on the release you have.  Musibrainz has that in 3 releases, 2xcd or 21 track release.

12 hours ago, ramseyn said:

I am much more at home with MP3Tag which I find far more logical than Picard.

What ever works for you but if you have a issue track information is needed to troubleshot.

On 6/14/2021 at 4:32 AM, ramseyn said:

So, some googling and then playing around in the settings has got me a Folders item in the Music library!

Nightwish is in the folder list, and if I click it I get the Decades Album in there.

10 of the 21 tracks are shown and all but one say the title is "Nightwish". From the previous screenshot you can see Picard has some issue with unidentified items if I am reading their icons correctly.

Basically it seems Emby is dependent on MusicBrainz and anything not in the MusicBrainz database, or that may be slightly different in audio signature and not recognised by Picard, will not be handled correctly in Emby.

Interestingly, it has found images for Nightwish to display - how, I do not know.

(Why can't we have something that just recognises your file names and displays the structure you have in your folders and the filenames you use? Being forced into someone elses methods of organising that may not fit your purpose is a pain, particularly when tat system doesn't work if a 3rd party database doesn't contain your files. Suppose I had home recorded audio - it wouldn't show up because MusicBrainz doesn't know about it.)

Emby capture 14 June No 2.JPG

Hi, Emby is not dependant on musicbrainz information, but it is dependent on the album and albumartist tags in your audio files. Can you please check on this?