Ebook Library / Reader

miniliQuid

miniliQuid

Not sure if there are actually many people using emby that also read a lot of books.

However with Ebooks being a hot thing right now this idea popped into my head.

I have a lot of ebooks which I generally keep on my normal PC.

However this way it has no back-ups cause I only back-up my server to an external location.

So I was thinking about switching them to my server and then I thought I can also put them in the emby folder.

The request may be a bit out of the ordinary since emby is more for playing files and things rather than reading, but could a reader be implemented at some point in the future?

A book library and an implemented reader, specially for mobile devices I guess (phone/tablet), but perhaps for browser/theater?

Would help me get rid of yet another app and have all my "media" in the same place :D

Edit: If you liked this also take a look here for ebook expansion https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80398-book-serverreader-incorporation-suggestion/

Edited by miniliQuid
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

Jdiesel

Have you tried using the book library type?

I don't think there is any way to view books in any of the emby apps at the moment, only download them to your devices. 

hi,

I actually added my books, but there is no ebook reader implemented.

Metadata is another point, but a simple reader couldnt be so difficult i think, a verry good reader for websites already exists.

Ii think we could use the reader without license problems.

DO WHAT  YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
                    Version 2, December 2004

Copyright © 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
 copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
 as the name is changed.

DO WHAT  YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
   TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. You just DO WHAT  YOU WANT TO.

The Source is on GitLab, https://gitlab.com/trantor

Trantor is a library website with database, similar to emby but only for books.

You can download the source and install it on your linux server, but you have to set up the Webserver and mariadb on your own.

There is no robot for metadata in Trantor, so you have to feed the database by hand

greetings Peredor

Edited by ebr
Language

miniliQuid

Have you tried using the book library type?

I don't think there is any way to view books in any of the emby apps at the moment, only download them to your devices. 

No not yet, cause I am pretty much unsure if I actually want it since I would still need a reading app for it.

Though when it is on the server putting it in emby may be beneficial (and others have easier access to them as well).

But my main interest would be a way to read them (so no downloading of files).

I have disabled file downloading on my server for all users, so they wouldn't be able to do anything with the books if there is no reader.

That's the reason I started this topic to see if people would be interested in something like that (cause I would be :D )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
miniliQuid
On 2/8/2022 at 5:27 PM, tmysik said:

In my case, a library would be great. I could download the file and transfer it to my e-book reader quite easily.

Just a library to download is already possible at this point.
So having a library and downloading the files is currently an option.

Now what we need is a book reader implementation to complete it (so downloading is no longer needed).

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, iPhoneMaxPro said:

New for support ebooks? 🙏

Hi, no news at this point but we plan to expand on our book features in future updates. Thanks.

• Like 2