"Emby Server is loading. Please try again shortly."

aikandianshi

aikandianshi

My iMac is running Mojave. I have used Emby 4.2.1 on it for a while, set to open on startup, and thus running in background, with icon in the bar at the top of the screen. I usually operate it from my iPad. But the other night I found I could not login as normal from my iPad, and when I tried to check the configuration on the iMac all I got was a browser page saying “Emby Server is loading. Please try again shortly.” 

Since then I have:

• quit the program by killing the two Emby processes in the Activity Monitor; relaunched the program - same result
  • re-booted the computer; relaunched the program - same result
  • downloaded and installed Emby 4.3.0.30; launched the program - same result
  • quit the program by killing the two Emby processes in the Activity Monitor; relaunched the program - same result
  • re-booted the computer; relaunched the program - same result

- plus a couple of other things, including removing it from my "Open on Startup" list.

Any suggestions?

aikandianshi

Fifteen minutes or more? - in short, yes.

Incidentally, is it normal that two Emby processes should show up in the Activity Monitor? It seems that one process opens when you first click on the app to start it, then when a second one opens the Emby icon appears in the screen-top bar.

Edited by aikandianshi

aikandianshi

Sorry - can't find any sign of Embyserver log files. Have searched using Finder, Path Finder, and manual search of the likely Library directories.

Would they have been removed by Cleanmymac?

Edited by aikandianshi

It's possible. Maybe that damaged the installation? Can you try installing 4.3.0.30 again on top your existing installation? Please see if that helps. Thanks.

aikandianshi

Just tried - no joy.

Incidentally, 

• The info tab on this app lists its version number as 4.2.1, although it came out of embyserver-osx-x64-4.3.0.30.zip, its creation date is given as 27 Nov 2019, and it is clearly not the same file as the previous 4.2.1 I was using. A minor clerical error, I suspect.
  • The only Emby file listed in ~/Library/Application Support is Emby Tray, though two Emby processes are showing in the Application Monitor.

Emby and Cleanmymac have coexisted quite happily on my machine for some time, and it seems unlikely that the one would have corrupted the other.

Would it be worthwhile trying to use Time Machine to revert to an earlier installation? I haven't done that before, but I could give it a go if you think it's likely to work.

aikandianshi

Thanks, Luke. That appears to have done the trick. 

Incidentally, is there a limit on the size of folders that Emby will successfully read into its library?  I had a couple of folders that Emby wouldn't read until I split them up into smaller folders.

Thanks again.

aikandianshi

When I clicked on the folder, the next screen was blank, as if the folder was empty. As I said, breaking the folders up into smaller ones largely fixed the problem, and having just checked, I'm happy to say there is no sign of that problem now.

Thanks again for your help.