Emby on Roku - Music Stops After Each Song?

rudco

Greetings, 

I found some old threads on this, just wondering if there were any updates? 

I added my music library to Emby (FLAC albums) and tried to play it through my Roku box today. I'll choose an album and select "Play All", but playback always stops after the first song.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Ed R.

We are investigating this issue. It has been added to our issue tracker as well. We will report back in this thread the moment we know more. Thank you for reporting and apologies for the interruption. This item has the highest priority.

If you see any more issues, bugs, problems please do not be shy about announcing them to us. We value this kind of feedback. Thanks again. :)

Reference: Issue #702: [Audio Player] FLAC is not advancing - hangs on tracks

benmoses

I would like to add that I am also seeing this in Roku Emby with FLAC files.  

Reference: Issue #702: [Audio Player] FLAC is not advancing - hangs on tracks

I have tested with the mainstream, current Emby app and the Beta Emby app on a Roku Ultra (2018).  The symptom seems to be that the playback stops at 3 seconds before the end of the track.  This seemed to happen about 80% of the time, meaning that there were a few times when playback did continue to the next track in queue.  Both apps exhibited the same behavior.  This does not happen with MP3 files (that I've observed).  

Quick question, is Emby transcoding the FLAC to a lossy compressed format for the Roku app?

I could not reproduce the issue with Emby Theater on a PC or in the web app (web browser).

Thanks guys, I love your responsiveness!  Keep up the good work, we appreciate it. :)

Edited by benmoses

Greetings!

So, this morning I've been trying the "latest beta version" of Emby and so far, it *is* working on different FLAC albums on have in my library. One song ends and another begins. 

I would like to add that I am also seeing this in Roku Emby with FLAC files.  

I have tested with the mainstream, current Emby app and the Beta Emby app on a Roku Ultra (2018).  The symptom seems to be that the playback stops at 3 seconds before the end of the track.  This seemed to happen about 80% of the time, meaning that there were a few times when playback did continue to the next track in queue.  Both apps exhibited the same behavior.  This does not happen with MP3 files (that I've observed).  

Quick question, is Emby transcoding the FLAC to a lossy compressed format for the Roku app?

I could not reproduce the issue with Emby Theater on a PC or in the web app (web browser).

Thanks guys, I love your responsiveness!  Keep up the good work, we appreciate it. :)

Please make sure you are using version 3.0.201 of the Roku app and confirm if this is still a problem.

Thanks.

Greetings!

So, this morning I've been trying the "latest beta version" of Emby and so far, it *is* working on different FLAC albums on have in my library. One song ends and another begins. 

Thanks for confirming.

benmoses

OK, got around to testing this.  (Wife commandeered the system yesterday binge watching Supernatural LOL)

Using 3.0.201 Beta Emby app on Roku Ultra 2018 (wired ethernet)...

the short answer is that playback does continue from track to track in the queue.

The caveat is that as the song approaches the end of one track, just before the end, I can hear about 1/2 of a second of the next track with about 0.02 or 0.01 left to go in the current track.  The track does reach 0:00 and seems to hesitate there for about 3 to 4 seconds before beginning playback of the next track.  When the next track does begin I think I can tell that it is picking up where it left off from the 1/2 of a second that it just played at the very end of the last track.

Also, noticing this same 3 to 4 second hesitation in general playback such as when you hit Play after navigating to a track.

Hope this helps! :)  

Edited by benmoses

That is our error recovery you are hearing.  I don't hear that though with my test files...  You are testing with FLAC files?

benmoses

Yes, I am using FLAC files generated by CDex portable 2.23 and its built-in FLAC Encoder DLL at compression level 0.  

benmoses

I'm afraid I am seeing similar odd behavior with Microsoft Edge on Windows 10.  I've actually seen total song time go past the stated end.  For example I've seen a song go all the way to 4:47, when the end time of the track indicates 4:45.  I also do notice hearing a brief clip of the next song before the first track ends.

I'll see if I can catch this happening in a screenshot.

benmoses

Ok, here's an example.  You can see this Amy Grant song should be 3:59, highlighted green in the file manager and below in the Dashboard.  However, the song actually reaches 4:03 in the web app browser, to the left, and also in the Dashboard, highlighted in red.

5de5a9927004a_1.png

If they're small enough you can zip them and send to him via pm attachment. Otherwise something like Dropbox or Google drive would be great. Thanks.

benmoses

The caveat is that as the song approaches the end of one track, just before the end, I can hear about 1/2 of a second of the next track with about 0.02 or 0.01 left to go in the current track.  The track does reach 0:00 and seems to hesitate there for about 3 to 4 seconds before beginning playback of the next track.  When the next track does begin I think I can tell that it is picking up where it left off from the 1/2 of a second that it just played at the very end of the last track.

Tested on the Roku again.  I'm no longer hearing the 1/2 second of the next song before the end of the current track.  I'm not sure why or what changed.  I'm sure that I was using Emby Beta 3.0.201 but I'll allow myself the shadow of a doubt here. lol  The songs do play continuously from track to track, as I had seen.  At this point, the only thing I observe that's a little not-quite-right is the delay that seems to happen just after pressing play on a song, or between tracks.  There does seem to be that 3 to 4 second delay where nothing is happening and the next song is sitting at 0:00 before it starts actually playing.

As for the issues with MS Edge, the only thing I'm seeing there is that playback seems to go on longer than the song (screenshot above). (Is that also happening in Roku but Roku UI isn't showing it?  That would explain the apparent 3 to 4 second stall between songs.)  

On the Roku, the delay is waiting for the server to deliver the song.  We had to change the way we transcode these to make them play and that method takes a little longer.

It is possible that it is the same situation with the web app but the interface is just allowing the progress to continue during the gap.  We'd have to see details of how they are playing to investigate that.

benmoses

We had to change the way we transcode these to make them play and that method takes a little longer.

So flac files are being transcoded, even though it says direct playing?  If you don't mind, what are they being transcoded into, mp3, or another lossy format?  Or are they being decoded into PCM and sent to Roku?  I suppose there's a bunch of different scenarios that could happen here.

It is not.  It is the old/original Edge.

Ok, the new Edge launches Jan 15, and current users will be automatically updated to it. 

benmoses

Ok, the new Edge launches Jan 15, and current users will be automatically updated to it. 

Yeah, I'm aware of that.  By mentioning this are you suggesting that the new edge behavior should be equal to that of Chrome?

I'm just using edge in my Emby server VM because that's what's associated as the default browser in Windows on a fresh install.  I have Chrome on there too but I didn't install Chrome until after Emby already picked up edge.

nospammage

I was experiencing the same behavior when pressing the Play button on the Music library (to perform shuffle play of the whole library).  I found this post, loaded the Roku Emby Beta client and the first song played was an mp3 file, it completed and went right to the next song, which is a wma file.  I was expecting it to hangup on the wma file but ALAS, it worked!  So the Roku Beta is working well for me with the Version 4.3.0.24 Server beta on a Raspberry Pi.  Thanks for your efforts!