Auto-organize issue with DVR recordings

arztonyou

arztonyou

Hello,

Whenever I try to use Auto-organize to organize recorded TV episodes, Auto-organize fails to move the episodes and the log file shows a message that the episode cannot be sorted because it is already part of an Emby library.  This is true, but it is because Emby automatically adds the Recorded TV folder as an Emby library.  Hence, I have to remove the Recorded TV folder from my libraries, and then Auto-organize will sort and move the recorded episodes as expected.  But then Emby adds the Recorded TV folder back as a library item and Auto-organize fails again.

This has been an issue for me for quite some time, but I finally decided to ask about it.  I feel like I must be missing something.  Have I missed an option to avoid adding the Recorded TV folder as a library?  Have I missed some other setting that fixes this issue?  Are other users having this same issue?  If so, how do you avoid this issue as it makes Auto-organize much less useful?     

I can see the benefits of having the Recorded TV folder as a library, but then it seems like Auto-organize should ignore that folder when looking through the libraries for a match for the TV show.

Hi, you can't use AutoOrganize against existing libraries as the watch folder. If you want the recordings to go somewhere else, then why not just configure the series recordings path?

• Like 1

arztonyou

Thanks for the quick response.  Some recordings are for me, some for my wife, some for my kids, and some are for all of us.  So I have folders set up in various locations for the TV shows, I have users set up for each family member, and they have access to the appropriate libraries.  Auto-organize used to automatically move those recording into the appropriate series folders but not anymore.  I don't want Watchmen stored in the same location as Pokemon.  

rbjtech

It's a poor solution, but I run a 2nd instance of emby (on a different port), which does not have Recorded TV shows as a library, but does have TV Shows and Films, the same as my primary instance.  It's auto-organise folder is the recording directory with a 'move' option.   All the time the file is being recorded it can't move the file (os file lock), but as soon as it's finished, it can and it will move it to the proper location - where the primary Emby instance will then pick it up and of course as a consequence remove it from the 'Recorded TV' library...

But agree 100% - Auto Organise needs to be enhanced on many levels - adding multiple watch folders for starters and as you have indicated, recognition that 'Recorded' folders need to be allowed (with a bit of logic - ie don't try and move the file while it's being recorded..) as people may not want Recorded items to stay in the Recorded library.

Edited by rbjtech

• 1 year later...
InTheAir
On 11/28/2019 at 11:17 AM, rbjtech said:

as people may not want Recorded items to stay in the Recorded library

I know I'm responding to an old thread but this is a pain. It would be best if there wasn't a recorded Library or that you could stop auto organize from using it. I have been using NextPVR for a while now but thought i would try Embys DVR. I like it except for this issue.

InTheAir

Hi Luke,

I already have a library for TV series episodes so now the episodes are split between two locations. Maybe I should explain my use case. I'm new to Emby Live TV and testing it by recording episodes that are then moved to a folder for post processing. Once the episode is processed it is placed in a folder for Auto Organize (folder is outside Emby, not a library), but Auto Organize places the episode in the recordings library instead of where the rest of the episodes are in the TV series library. I guess my expectation was that the raw recording would be in the recording library and the processed files would go in the TV series library.

Paul

Edit: I just realized that this is causing Live TV problems as well. Because the series is broken into two libraries, Live TV doesn't know about previous episodes. When you setup a series to record and click the box that says not to record episodes already in my library, it doesn't work.

Edited by InTheAir

On 2/7/2021 at 9:20 AM, InTheAir said:

Hi Luke,

I already have a library for TV series episodes so now the episodes are split between two locations. Maybe I should explain my use case. I'm new to Emby Live TV and testing it by recording episodes that are then moved to a folder for post processing. Once the episode is processed it is placed in a folder for Auto Organize (folder is outside Emby, not a library), but Auto Organize places the episode in the recordings library instead of where the rest of the episodes are in the TV series library. I guess my expectation was that the raw recording would be in the recording library and the processed files would go in the TV series library.

Paul

Edit: I just realized that this is causing Live TV problems as well. Because the series is broken into two libraries, Live TV doesn't know about previous episodes. When you setup a series to record and click the box that says not to record episodes already in my library, it doesn't work.

Hi, why not just configure the recordings location to be the eventual destination? Why even add the extra step with auto-organize?

InTheAir

I really don't want to record over the network to the NAS, there's less things to go wrong if I record to a local drive. I'd still need auto-organize to put the processed file back once the file has completed commercial removal and compression by VAP (VideoReDo Auto-Processor) and VideoReDo.

Setup your process as one of the steps to move the processed media OUT OF Emby's libraries.
You should then be able to use Auto Organize to move the files back after processing to the Library you want it in.

InTheAir

Here is my mostly automated process.

1. Emby records to a local drive, ex.: R:\Recorded TV\Upstart Crow (2016)\Season 3
  2. When the recording finishes Emby moves the recording to a monitored folder for VAP to mark commercials: D:\VideoRedo\Monitor (this is outside Emby)
  3. Using VideoReDo I then verify the commercial cuts for all recordings from the night before and save.
  4. VAP then cuts the commercials and compresses the episode using h.265.
  5. When VAP has completed compression it places the file into a folder monitored by auto organize: E:\Video_Output
  6. Auto organize moves the file back into R:\Recorded TV\Upstart Crow (2016)\Season 3 instead of where all the other episodes are in \\nas.kaufman.lan\TV\Upstart Crow\Season 3

I want to avoid network issues during recording, so I do not want to record to the NAS.  It looks like what I want is not possible so I guess I have to go back to NextPVR... ☹️ unless I'm missing something.

DarWun

@cayarsI can confirm this behavior. I reported it a long time ago. At the time, I wanted an option to ignore the recording library when autoorganize is trying to figure out where to move the video too. Which in retrospect probably wasn't a reasonable request.

After a recording completed, I would copy it to the auto-organize watch folder and delete all folders from the recording location. Running auto-organize after doing so would simply move the recording back to the recording location and recreate all of the folders for the series. The workaround I found was, after deleting the folders from the recording location, you need to do a library scan. After doing that, auto-organize moves the recording to the proper location in my TV series library.

Edited by DarWun

Yes, you would want RTM enabled for the recording library.
If you move the file out of the recording library RTM should kick off a library scan while you're processing the file to remove commercials, convert and stuff.

Then auto organizer would deposit it in your normal (not recording) library.

• Like 1

DarWun

Thanks @cayars. That would make sense. I'm running Emby on a Synology NAS. Back when I first experienced the issue, RTM was not supported. I've developed a workflow for moving recordings to the TV library that includes a manual scan of libraries before running auto-organize. So I hadn't realized that with RTM now being supported on the platform this is no longer an issue.

InTheAir
On 2/13/2021 at 6:11 AM, cayars said:

Why is step 6 moving the file back to the Recording folder vs your NAS?

I guess because Emby or auto organize thinks that is where the series is stored. l think it doesn't put it in the NAS  because the Recording library overrides the Series library.

So if I remove the series folder from the Recording library RTM should remove the series so that only one version of the series exists in the Series library on the NAS right? Then when auto organize runs it will put the file in the proper location. This should work as a work around for now.

There is an issue with doing it this way though, it will confuse the scheduler. Example, the show Last Man Standing is on most nights and sometimes has multiple episodes in one night. If the record setting for the show is set to 'Don't record episodes that are already in my library' then when a show is recording there are two versions of the series, one in the Series Library and one in the Recording Library. Since the Recording Library overrides the Series Library the scheduler will think I have no other episodes so it will want to record other episodes. I don't know how often the scheduler refreshes to know if it would happen during recording a show so this might not be a problem, but if it did refresh it might record things that were not expected. I admit this probably wouldn't happen often but it isn't ideal for the scheduler.

Paul

Edit: I updated my script that moves the files, it now deletes the series folder from the Recording library folder after the move completes. This would mean the series would exist in the Recording library for the duration of the recording time plus the pre and post buffers.

Edited by InTheAir
Add note about script update.