Wrong sort order

dcol

I noticed yesterday that when you pick the release date sort order in the library, it sorts in reverse making the newest first. I would think the oldest first would be a better choice, or allow for either.

This is on AndroidTV. Not sure about FireTV

Edited by dcol

Here is the screen. Actually shows 'Premiere Date' not 'Release Date'. You can see the films are in reverse order

5dde9edfa3b94_20191127_085940.jpg

It works properly for me.  Are you in folder browsing and those items are actually folders as opposed to "movies"?

They are movies in a folder under another folder. Works fine in the web browser, just not in Anrdoid TV.

So what you are actually looking at there are folders, correct?  Folders would not have a Premiere date.

What is the format of the movies under them?

I was about to report this issue as well, then i found this thread.

I have the same thing happening in my Mixed Content libraries.

I understand that Mixed libraries are basically a folder view.

The containing folders don't have a release date but the movies contained within do, and i just want to be able to sort them by release date ascending or descending.

The same as Name, you have "Name" and "Name (Z-A)" which reverses the order.

Now that you know you're looking at folders, do you still feel the sort order is wrong?

Well... the folders are the outside group of what i'm looking at...

For example, in a mixed library, i have a folder called "pixar shorts"

When i enter this folder i see all my pixar shorts, properly identified as Movies, with Release Dates, Metadata, Artwork and all.

I would just like to be able to order all these by Release Dates, ascending, or descending, according the the metadata.

Right now i can only order them in Release Date with the latest one displayed first, and going down the list to the oldest.

In all other apps i tried, the option to reverse the Release Date order is there and works fine.

Hopefully this can be done ?

...or maybe i'm missing something in my understanding...

I just sent log @ 3:21PM MST. Any folder I set to premiere date does ascending and not descending as seen in my previous pic. Does this on 3 boxes.

Can't you just do an ascending and descending sort option for Premiere Date.

Edited by dcol

It is already specifying a descending sort order and it works fine for me so I'm trying to determine what in the heck could be going on here. 

System.out: Adding request to queue: http://192.168.100.90:8094/emby/Users/dc029876861744e7a0d3b506c8fb0e2f/Items?ParentId=889772&StartIndex=0&SortBy=PremiereDate&...sortOrder=Descending&Limit=150&format=json

Are you sure they are actually sorting by Premiere Date?  It seems more like the items in question do not have a Premiere date and, thus, the sorting is probably more random...

It shows Premiere date in your example above.

Sorting is not random and all titles have dates in the metadata. These are all movies and everything still sorts in ascending order using Premiere Date.

Can you add both ascending and descending to the sort list?

Edited by dcol

It is already specifying a descending sort order and it works fine for me so I'm trying to determine what in the heck could be going on here.

System.out: Adding request to queue: http://192.168.100.90:8094/emby/Users/dc029876861744e7a0d3b506c8fb0e2f/Items?ParentId=889772&StartIndex=0&SortBy=PremiereDate&...sortOrder=Descending&Limit=150&format=json

Are you sure they are actually sorting by Premiere Date? It seems more like the items in question do not have a Premiere date and, thus, the sorting is probably more random...
The sorting i get is in exact reverse order of my release dates, so it would be a weird coincidence if they randomly ordered this way upon hitting the release date ordering.

Are you testing in a movies type library maybe? Mine is a Mixed type. If that makes a difference?...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Just looked again and every TV Show and Movie library type sorts Premiere Date in reverse order. I have 1000's of videos in total. Some folders only a few, but every folder does this.

Another thing to mention is I may have up to 4 levels of folders in some cases. Also, I am using a generic AndroidTV box, but I just tested on a Fire Stick and it has the same results. So maybe this is a server issue, not android. IDK. Seems Android is sending the proper command, the server is interpreting it wrong.

Emby on Windows does not have this sorting issue.

Also tested on Beta server 4.3.0.24 and release server 4.3.0.30. Same results

Here is the embyserver log showing the request

2019-12-04 10:36:02.781 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.100.90:8094/emby/Users/dc029876861744e7a0d3b506c8fb0e2f/Items?ParentId=918036&StartIndex=0&SortBy=PremiereDate&recursive=false&Fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio%2CCanDelete%2CSortName%2CCriticRating%2CCommunityRating%2COfficialRating%2CPremiereDate%2CEndDate%2CProductionYear&sortOrder=Descending&Limit=150&format=json. UserAgent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 9; Nexus Player Build/PI)
2019-12-04 10:36:02.798 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.100.198. Time: 18ms. http://192.168.100.90:8094/emby/Users/dc029876861744e7a0d3b506c8fb0e2f/Items?ParentId=918036&StartIndex=0&SortBy=PremiereDate&recursive=false&Fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio%2CCanDelete%2CSortName%2CCriticRating%2CCommunityRating%2COfficialRating%2CPremiereDate%2CEndDate%2CProductionYear&sortOrder=Descending&Limit=150&format=json
2019-12-04 10:36:08.944 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://192.168.100.90:8094/emby/DisplayPreferences/12915c7246a435f9bf194391b82bb401?client=ATV&userId=dc029876861744e7a0d3b506c8fb0e2f. UserAgent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 9; Nexus Player Build/PI)
Edited by dcol

Okay, I'm sorry, I misread your original post - which is why I was so confused  :wacko:.

The only way to get what you want will be to either change the default in the app for that sort type or allow both (as you requested).

We'll look into it.

I just updated Emby and there is still no sort option for descending order. And the choices have been reduced to just Name and Date Added.

Also I do not like that the date is no longer displayed with the movie images.

IMO it is worse than before.