DVB-S(2)

arrbee99

arrbee99

So am hoping to move to a new PC sort of soon-ish, the problem being that the old PC used a dvb-s(2) pci card and I'll now need a dvb-s(2) pci-e card. Do people still make these ? I think TBS does, something like the 6902. Any thoughts on that model or any alternatives maybe (think cheap) ?

rbjtech

I just recently dumped my TBS PCIe tuner as it stopped working (hardware fault, was 6 years old mind you..) and went with an HD-Homerun instead.  For me, this appears to be a great alternative with not only native Emby support (no plug-in's or epg hassles), but I can position anywhere on the network (ie next to the sat/aeriel) making it all very flexible.   

arrbee99

I just recently dumped my TBS PCIe tuner as it stopped working (hardware fault, was 6 years old mind you..) and went with an HD-Homerun instead.  For me, this appears to be a great alternative with not only native Emby support (no plug-in's or epg hassles), but I can position anywhere on the network (ie next to the sat/aeriel) making it all very flexible.   

Thanks, but much as I'd like one of those they just don't do satellite versions, so it'll have to be pci-e of some kind of sat-ip thing maybe. Sat-ip sounds better but pci-e much more familiar...

arrbee99

I have a vu+ zero exposing channels as m3u playlist and I'm very happy with it.

Interesting. So it'll sent the tv signal to a PC via the router ?

vdatanet

Interesting. So it'll sent the tv signal to a PC via the router ?

Yes, I have the tuner in my living room and the server in the basement. If you want to spend more money, you can get a multi tuner box. 

You can access your channels via m3u playlist or via hd homerun proxy.

Edited by vdatanet

arrbee99

Might I enquire as to whether you use the Emby Vu+ plugin, not sure if thats implied in the info you gave already about m3u playlists.

And its (kind of) plug and play - need to install any special software on the Vu+ box itself, you just plug in power, connect ethernet to router, start something up somewhere...

vdatanet

I don't use vu+ plugin. In the vu+ web inferface (openwebif) I export channels as m3u playlist and I use Emby's builtin support for m3u tuners. If you want to use hd home run proxy you have to install a plugin in your vu+. Then you can use that proxy as a regular hd home run tuner in Emby.

arrbee99

Thanks for the info. Guess I have to make a decision at some point. Vu+ sounds tempting if I can actually get one to New Zealand - 100 euros to buy and 50 Euros postage so far. Stupid Amazon UK won't post direct to NZ any more.

I see you're in Spain, any idea if something called Orbita Digital is any good ?

vdatanet

I don't know Orbita Digital. You can also look for any Enigma 2 box if it has better shipping conditions.

• Like 1

arrbee99

I don't know Orbita Digital. You can also look for any Enigma 2 box if it has better shipping conditions.

Thanks. Thats a thought.

arrbee99

Thanks. After much prevarication, deliberation and procrastination, decided to get a TBS6902. Vu+ seems good but only single tuner, 4 tuners nice but too expensive for me, especially in NZ, and 2 tuners is still step up.