External Transcoding (Network)

szalkerous

szalkerous

I currently host my Emby server on my Netgear ReadyNAS 3204.

It's a wonderful device, but when "live" transcoding is triggered, playback stutters and halts because it simply isn't designed for this task.

It would be great if I could offload the transcoding job over the network to another machine that has a more powerful encoder/decoder/graphics card to process with. I know this can be done with other tools (like custom-configured Handbrake installs). Due to my network structure and accessibility firewall rules, moving the Emby install to another machine for this task would be extremely complicated, and I would prefer to keep it where the data libraries are stored for sheer performance reasons. I just so happen to have an always-on blackbox Windows-based encoding machine, linked to my ReadyNAS via speedy 10GbE, and it's a shame I can't leverage it's capabilities.

Having this as a premiere feature would be totally fine. In fact, it would be a selling point.

So either a using a common data share with a remote app/service (like this example with Handbrake), or built-in support for distributed rendering to send transcoding jobs out to a network service you create (maybe using the transcoding code in Emby packaged into a Windows service?) would be immensely helpful and I'm sure it would create more configuration possibilities for others.

Edited by szalkerous
  • Like 1

szalkerous

Hi, yes this is something we've talked about in the past and it's possible for the future. thanks.

Thanks for considering it!