Can't connect to my server on Shield

sirchewie

sirchewie

anyone else having issues with Emby on the Shield? It suddenly stopped working for me (wouldn't load), so I tried rebooting server from my media PC but still didn't load so uninstalled and reinstalled it. Now I can't get access to the server again. When I load up the app, an error appears at the bottom of the screen - java.lang.illegalstateexception expected BEGIN_ARRAY but was STRING at line 1 column 1 path $

IT won't recognize the server either or let me connect with the server address!

sirchewie

I have the Emby server running from my media PC in a different room. I'm using the Shield to connect to it. Is that not correct?

Ok so you're using our Shield app to connect to your server on your PC, is that correct? Are you able to use the web interface on your PC?

sirchewie

yes, that's correct. I'm also able to use the web interface on the PC and see/play my library.  I can see the server listed in Emby but when I select it, it tells me that it can't respond and tries to Wake it, but no success.

sirchewie

Yes, just tested it there on my phone and it works perfectly. I tried clearing cache/data, still no luck. Every time I open the app I see that error message. When I try to choose the Server (my media PC) it says Server Unavailable....

Ok, can you try adding a new server on the Shield and entering the server address manually? Please see if that helps. Thanks.

sirchewie

So, I just turned on the Shield this morning and for some reason it's working!  :D  I'm not sure what happened last night.  Thanks again.

anyone else having issues with Emby on the Shield? It suddenly stopped working for me (wouldn't load), so I tried rebooting server from my media PC but still didn't load so uninstalled and reinstalled it. Now I can't get access to the server again. When I load up the app, an error appears at the bottom of the screen - java.lang.illegalstateexception expected BEGIN_ARRAY but was STRING at line 1 column 1 path $

IT won't recognize the server either or let me connect with the server address!

Based on that, I would guess you had a really old  version of the server (and it upgraded since) or there is something on your network that is mucking with the network traffic and corrupting it before it gets to the Shield.  Any reverse proxies or security add-ons?

sirchewie

My issue is back again! I have VPN turned off on both devices.  I can see the server listed, but it won't connect when I select nor will it connect if I try to do it manually. I just keep  getting that error message on the bottom of the screen -  java.lang.illegalstateexception expected BEGIN_ARRAY but was STRING at line 1 column 1 path $

I might move back to Plex at this stage if I can't sort out Emby.

Edited by sirchewie

sirchewie

Version 4.4.0.30 on my PC (server)

Version 1.7.54g on my Nvidia Shield

I checked on my phone and now it's not working there either. It's running fine from the actual PC server and plays movies no problem.

Still looks to me like something is interfering with your network traffic.

What is the environment this is running in?  Is it a normal home network?

sirchewie

Thanks. I've tried those settings, but still cna't get it set up. I'm not that techy so not sure about Firewall. I recently got Total AV virus app on my PC, so not sure it that's causing an issue. Also, I'm not familiar with how to port forward on my router.  

sirchewie

I tried to open TCP Port 8096 on my firewall. I assume I just replace "80" with "8096" in this tutorial?  I tried putting in the local address of the Emby server into a laptop, but got a "The site can't be reached" message. 

I tried to open TCP Port 8096 on my firewall. I assume I just replace "80" with "8096" in this tutorial?

Yes that's correct. Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

sirchewie

I've tried them all but no success. I'm not sure if I have the router set up correctly though. I tried to port forward to 8096

On the Emby App I put in the IP address and Port, but after a few seconds it just says "Error connecting to server".

Edited by sirchewie

mastrmind11

I've tried them all but no success. I'm not sure if I have the router set up correctly though. I tried to port forward to 8096

On the Emby App I put in the IP address and Port, but after a few seconds it just says "Error connecting to server".

Assuming we're talking about internal access from your LAN, port forwarding isn't going to do anything.  What IP and port are you entering into the app?  Are you sure it matches your server?  I've seen this behavior in the past when the LAN IP of the server changed and the app(s) were still using the old IP.