Trakt - Having random watch progress

negativzeroe
Go to solution Solved by vdatanet,

Bazzu85

Yes, that's true. When Emby imports watched status as watched, resume time (in Emby) should be reset.

IMHO the work as to be done when marking as watched/unwatched or exporting TO trakt... cleaning the paused states for this element..

Bazzu85

Version 3.3.8 of the trakt plugin will incorporate library resume settings when importing data from Trakt. Thanks.

please read my post at:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79679-trakt-having-random-watch-progress/page-3&do=findComment&comment=811894

I have updated the plugin but the half playstates on trakt remains..

marking as watched as to reset the half playstate on trakt..

vdatanet

Version 3.3.8 of the trakt plugin will incorporate library resume settings when importing data from Trakt. Thanks.

I'm using version 3.3.8. Resume settings in library now are taken into account.

The issue is when you import a watched status as watched from trakt, resume time in Emby is not reset and item remains in "Continue Watching" row:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79679-trakt-having-random-watch-progress/?p=811895

Edited by vdatanet

Gerrit507

If you remove paused states in trakt, they are not imported anymore.

1. Remove paused states in trakt

2. Multiselect and Toggle to Watched

Doesn't fix my issue with unwatched movies and then there are still hundreds of items and emby is only showing a few of them at a time.

3.3.8 doesn't change anything for me by the way.

I'm barely using emby anyways since months and just have it running besides jellyfin. I think the time is near to shut this down for good and move on...

Edited by Gerrit507

Bazzu85

@@Luke 

just to clarify the situation..

I attach a screenshot of my current continue watching section..

As you see I have many episodes watched and with half progression on trakt (I don't know why, I use always emby to watch the episodes)..

Marking as unwatched and the watched does not resolve the problem because on trakt the paused state remain unchanged..

The only 2 solution actualy for the problem are:

1. play the episode on emby and skip to the end of the video. Doing so emby comunicate to trakt the last percentage played and mark as watched

2. use the TraktRater app to clean all paused states on trakt and then mark again as watched all the content in continue watching section

The problem is...doing so NOW prevent possible future problems? can I be sure that the problem doesn't occurs?

This is because I think that the simpliest solution is to update the paused state (or resume state) when you mark something as watched/unwatched on emby..

After that another possible implementation as suggested by @@vdatanet is to not import half play state from trakt (but this is for me not convenient because if I watched something half on another not emby platform, it's correct to have the progression on emby)

thx for your patience..

post-176733-0-62748500-1574813630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bazzu85

crashkelly

Thanks for the work on this. Was having exactly the same issue and came here to research and was able to resolve with Trakt 3.3.8 and TraktRater.

Were a few stragglers but cleaned those up manually and now all seems good

Will report back if I see it again

Cheers

sephrat

So is there no way to get back to normal automatically?

I removed my play states from Trakt using TraktRater (thanks for the tip!) and expected Emby to pull them from Trakt but it did nothing. (Why can Emby push play states but not pull them?) At least it did not push them either.

Marking movies as watched in Emby will register a play in Trakt, I don't want to remove those plays manually. 

I have ~100 entries to clean up, I'd rather not waste an evening on that. :-( 

sephrat

Also, I don't think Emby should send Trakt the play state when Emby itself decides not to save them because of the minimum resume time setting.

I just did a test by playing and stopping in the first second a video: play state is not saved in Emby but sent to Trakt.

That's the probably the root cause of all that mess: if Emby hadn't sent those silly play states, it wouldn't have imported them back.

Edited by sephrat

vdatanet

I don't think Emby sends that resume time. When you stop scrobbing Trakt registers a pause. That pause is what Emby imports.

Bazzu85

a suggestion to clear the "continue watching section" without touching the watched/unwatched status on trakt..

in emby (I do in android 'cause is faster) open the episode/movie, click on play from beginning and suddenly stop..

doing so emby comunicate the initial percentage to trakt and the media is not showing anymore in continue watching..

and there's no track in trakt history

WilhelmStroker

According to traktrater i have hundreds of shows and movies in this state....doing all of this manually is going to take me ages.

Bazzu85

According to traktrater i have hundreds of shows and movies in this state....doing all of this manually is going to take me ages.

Clearing the paused state in TraktRater is not all..

You have then to mark as watched all element in continue watching on emby..

This require less time about my solution doesn't create multiple new entry on trakt..

So.... Your decision..

Edited by Bazzu85

frankmb

I'm having this same issue. I manually cleared my Continue Watching list of episodes with partial plays, then ran the Import playstates from Trakt.tv manually. Now I have a bunch of new partially watched episodes in my Continue Watching list.

What a mess!

The reason I use trakt is to keep track of watched/unwatched status of episodes. I don't care about all the times I started an episode, skipped to the 2 minute marks to check if everything looked good and stopped it. The length of time I watched is not something I want to import from trakt or even export to it. 

After using Plex for years, it's killing off of the old trakt plugin is basically what made me look at alternatives to Plex and made me try Emby. With this and the duplicate plays being added to trakt as well right now, I'm not impressed. 

Add to that all the issues and lack of polish of Emby Theatre for Windows... Confusing UI and naming of "Convert", "Download", "Download To..."  etc...  I think Emby development should prioritize User experience and UI design much more than it does currently. 

frankmb

I wanted to transcode 4k movies to 1080p because my computer can't do that in real time and have both versions available for playback.

In Plex, that function is called Optimize and transcodes from the higher resolution/birate to lower have both available. It just worked.

In the Emby web interface context menu for a movie, there is Convert and Download To. I figured I should use Convert as that made most sense and by default it saved the transcoded version in the same folder as the original. After it transcoded the file, all seemed well and I could see the new 1080p file in the folder but I couldn't get to play in Emby.

When I selected the movie, I thought I should see an option to play back the 1080p version but it wasn't there. I tried all I could think of and wasn't able to see or play the 1080p file in Emby.

Eventually I found out about Folder Sync in the wiki that seemed to do what I wanted. I couldn't find Folder Sync function anywhere at first but eventually figured out that "Download To" does the folder sync after you setup a folder to sync to. After doing a "Download To" that transcoded to 1080p to the destination folder, I could playback the 1080p version. At this point, I was wondering why "Download To" wasn't called "Optimize" or something like that. I wasn't downloading anything... just transcoding to a folder and having both versions be available to playback.

A bit later I figured out an issue with my "Convert"ed file. I had set a 4k filter on my movie collection. When I removed the filter, I could finally see the transcoded copy created by "Convert". The problem was that it created a duplicate movie. In fact I had transcoded all my 4k movies so now I had duplicates of all my 4k movies. one for the 4k version and one for the 1080p version. both 4k and 1080p files were in the same folder though. On Plex it would have asked me which version to play. 

From the Multi-Section Movies section here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming I thought I had everything right and I should not be seeing duplicated movies. Finally I figured out that my transoded file ended in "- mobile.mp4" but my orignal 4k file did not end in " - format.ext". When I renamed the orignal file, everything worked. That meant that I needed to manually rename all my original files, to remove the duplicate movies in my library and have this work correctly.

At this point I was pretty frustrated because it made no sense that I should manually rename files for "Convert" to accomplish its task of creating a 1080p files to have alongside the original in the same Movie. I figured my best solution was to use "Download To"... a really weird name for "Optimize"

I'm explaining my thought process through all this because it took me alot of time and frustration to understand that in the end my original idea to use "Convert" was probably correct but just didn't work.

I consider myself very experienced running various media clients and servers over the last 15 years starting with MythTv. I already had an organized media collection that worked well in Plex so I didn't think it I would have so much trouble doing this.  

I figured my best solution was to use "Download To"... a really weird name for "Optimize"

Well it's not Optimize. It can be if you configure it that way, but it can also be used to send media to a destination in it's original format.

vdatanet

The reason I use trakt is to keep track of watched/unwatched status of episodes. I don't care about all the times I started an episode, skipped to the 2 minute marks to check if everything looked good and stopped it. The length of time I watched is not something I want to import from trakt or even export to it. 

For me it's important to able to resume an item in Emby, if that item was started to watch in other software like Infuse. Perhaps there should be an option for the user to decide whether to import those times and everyone happy.

What is failing is the opposite, if we start to watch an item in Emby and finish it in other software, it is marked as watched in Emby, but the resume time is still intact and the item is still in "Continue Watching"

WilhelmStroker

Clearing the paused state in TraktRater is not all..

You have then to mark as watched all element in continue watching on emby..

This require less time about my solution doesn't create multiple new entry on trakt..

So.... Your decision..

Yeah i followed your steps to start an episode and immediately stop it in the Roku app and i've now cleared most of the continue watching list. 

Agree with @@vdatanet, I think this behaviour should be a option in the plugin though as it's not desired behavour for everyone. I personally like it if i start watching something in Plex i can continue watching in Emby.

ginjaninja

oh dear just spent an hour removing content from continue watching  only for it to return again on next trakt sync.

If the trakt  plugin is syncing resumption points from trakt, then clearing resumption points in emby should result in the plugin clearing resumption points in trakt...IMO

what is the easiest way to remove resumption points from trakt and emby please.

its a useful feature, once these teething issues are gotten over.

vdatanet

The latest update to the trakt plugin does incorporate your Emby Server resume settings.

But this is still an issue:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79679-trakt-having-random-watch-progress/?p=811895

The are a lot of watched items still in "Continue Watching". In my case are items that I finished watching in other platform.

vdatanet

oh dear just spent an hour removing content from continue watching  only for it to return again on next trakt sync.

If the trakt  plugin is syncing resumption points from trakt, then clearing resumption points in emby should result in the plugin clearing resumption points in trakt...IMO

what is the easiest way to remove resumption points from trakt and emby please.

its a useful feature, once these teething issues are gotten over.

Mark as watched/unwatched has no effect on resume time in Trakt. Resume time in Trakt is only changed when scrobbling. The easiest way to fix this:

- Mark an item as watched/unwatched as you want.

- Start playing from the beginning to scrobbe to Trakt

- Stop immediately

- With latest trakt plugin update, resume time of that item won't be imported anymore

• Like 1

But this is still an issue:

The are a lot of watched items still in "Continue Watching". In my case are items that I finished watching in other platform.

Will that result in losing the ability to have a resume state for something that is already marked watched?

vdatanet

Will that result in losing the ability to have a resume state for something that is already marked watched?

These are the steps that I often follow

1. I start playing an item not watched in Emby and stop at 30 minutes
2. In other software I continue watching the item from 30 minutes
3. I finish watching the item in other software
4. Emby imports the status of the item as watched
5. The resume time in Emby is still 30 minutes
6. Therefore Item is still in "Continue Watching"

I think that when marking the item as watched in Emby from Trakt, resume time should be reset. Otherwise we will end up having a lot of items watched in "Continue Watching"
Edited by vdatanet