Metadata Creator Suggestions

Theodore

Theodore

I have been a VERY longtime user of Emby (since the early days of Media Browser 2.x!) and am EXTREMELY anal about making sure all data in my collections is as correct as possible. I have used Emby's built-in scraper and have been far less than impressed on a number of fronts over the years: incomplete actors, incorrect genres, misidentifying actors mostly, and some movies just aren't found at all (mostly fan films or adult content). As a result I've been using a combination of Media Center Master and MetaBrowser to gather and customize my output before loading it pre-locked into Emby. But now that MetaBrowser appears to be offline permanently and I am about to replace my primary workstation I am in a bit of a dilemma - I cannot get MetaBrowser to load on an alternative machine since we can't authenticate anymore.

So my question is this: Does anyone have a suggestion for replacing MetaBrowser with the same or similar capability? I tried Media Companion briefly but it is a scraper only - no way that I could see to manually enter data. Alternatively, anyone know how I can get MetaBrowser to launch on another computer and bypass the logon requirement?

• Like 1

For me I just use MCM save as XML files then make the custom mods to the images, Network Logos, ClearArt, Title Logos, Folders and Backdrops. In addition I modify the content of XML files to my liking. Finally using the XML plugin it reads it into Emby. The final step is checking out Metadata manager and see if it imported everything correct. Normally I only have to make changes to actor images as well as have to enter the roles for the actors just in TV shows as they don't show up properly or the season 1 actors are totally different then the Season 2 or 3 actors, example True Detectives.

I am likewise very anal about my metadata at times when it can't be found by the scrapers because it is very unknown or a foreign title I copy an existing XML file and modify it's content. Once done I usually lock the content so as to keep Emby from modifying it during future scans. I never used MetaBrowser but it was excellent at one time.

Theodore

For me I just use MCM save as XML files then make the custom mods to the images, Network Logos, ClearArt, Title Logos, Folders and Backdrops. In addition I modify the content of XML files to my liking. Finally using the XML plugin it reads it into Emby. The final step is checking out Metadata manager and see if it imported everything correct. Normally I only have to make changes to actor images as well as have to enter the roles for the actors just in TV shows as they don't show up properly or the season 1 actors are totally different then the Season 2 or 3 actors, example True Detectives.

I am likewise very anal about my metadata at times when it can't be found by the scrapers because it is very unknown or a foreign title I copy an existing XML file and modify it's content. Once done I usually lock the content so as to keep Emby from modifying it during future scans. I never used MetaBrowser but it was excellent at one time.

Yeah I can do it that way, I was just hoping to find a manager with a nice interface that makes it easy to update fields without feeling like I am writing code all the time.

• 4 months later...
Villiam

I have been a VERY longtime user of Emby (since the early days of Media Browser 2.x!) and am EXTREMELY anal about making sure all data in my collections is as correct as possible. I have used Emby's built-in scraper and have been far less than impressed on a number of fronts over the years: incomplete actors, incorrect genres, misidentifying actors mostly, and some movies just aren't found at all (mostly fan films or adult content). As a result I've been using a combination of Media Center Master and MetaBrowser to gather and customize my output before loading it pre-locked into Emby. But now that MetaBrowser appears to be offline permanently and I am about to replace my primary workstation I am in a bit of a dilemma - I cannot get MetaBrowser to load on an alternative machine since we can't authenticate anymore.

So my question is this: Does anyone have a suggestion for replacing MetaBrowser with the same or similar capability? I tried Media Companion briefly but it is a scraper only - no way that I could see to manually enter data. Alternatively, anyone know how I can get MetaBrowser to launch on another computer and bypass the logon requirement?

Hey! I am the same. Used Emby since Media Browser V1, and am extremely anal about everything.. because with a large library you really have to be. All manual metadata with MetaBrowser for the same reasons you mentioned. Anyways, I've changed my primary PC over the years and since the demise of MetaBrowser I have still managed to get MetaBrowser to successfully work and recognize my account as being active. The way I did this was by copying perfectly ALL metabrowser program data from the local directories it's stored within on the old PC, and overwrite all the same data on the new PC (After installing the last version of Metabrowser) with that data from the old PC. That includes all your old user data and it will allow it to continue to function as it always has. IF you still have your old PC or old hard disk you can do that. If not, then you're out of luck. Let me know if that helped!

Theodore

Hey! I am the same. Used Emby since Media Browser V1, and am extremely anal about everything.. because with a large library you really have to be. All manual metadata with MetaBrowser for the same reasons you mentioned. Anyways, I've changed my primary PC over the years and since the demise of MetaBrowser I have still managed to get MetaBrowser to successfully work and recognize my account as being active. The way I did this was by copying perfectly ALL metabrowser program data from the local directories it's stored within on the old PC, and overwrite all the same data on the new PC (After installing the last version of Metabrowser) with that data from the old PC. That includes all your old user data and it will allow it to continue to function as it always has. IF you still have your old PC or old hard disk you can do that. If not, then you're out of luck. Let me know if that helped!

Are you talking about all the data in C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaBrowser 2.0\ ? Or is there more hidden elsewhere? Because I tried that (just tried it again) and it is failing to authenticate.

Villiam

Are you talking about all the data in C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaBrowser 2.0\ ? Or is there more hidden elsewhere? Because I tried that (just tried it again) and it is failing to authenticate.

That and more. Show hidden files. Then copy C:/Program Data / Metabrowser

Let me know if that works!

charlesbosquet
Hello gentlemen!

I have exactly the same problem as you. I have been using MetaBrowser for years and I love this software.

Unfortunately I had to change my PC. But while I know perfectly the manipulation of dragging the 2 folders (ProgData) and X86, impossible to put the 2 folders in the new PC.

The contact at the time "Fatal" had indicated handling to me, but impossible to carry out on a new machine: Verification failed.

And yet I have 2 different copies of the 2 famous files ...

Have you found a solution for bypass verification?

Do you have a tip that I don't know?

Thank you.

And sorry for the translation, I'm a little French ...

Hello gentlemen!
I have exactly the same problem as you. I have been using MetaBrowser for years and I love this software.
Unfortunately I had to change my PC. But while I know perfectly the manipulation of dragging the 2 folders (ProgData) and X86, impossible to put the 2 folders in the new PC.
The contact at the time "Fatal" had indicated handling to me, but impossible to carry out on a new machine: Verification failed.
And yet I have 2 different copies of the 2 famous files ...
Have you found a solution for bypass verification?
Do you have a tip that I don't know?

Thank you.

And sorry for the translation, I'm a little French ...

Why not just let Emby handle it?

Theodore

This didn't work for me, but I have one more option I can try, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Theodore

Why not just let Emby handle it?

Because Emby's fetcher sucked the last time I used it. I realize that it relies on crowd-sourced inputs, but that is a big part of the problem too as those are all too frequently FAR from complete (and many times incorrect). If you pulled from IMDB directly, maybe. But Emby also has a habit of overwriting and deleting data from saved information when it updates. It is far more efficient to make sure my XML is complete and accurate before importing the movie. Add in that you've removed the option for "Check for new or changed files" from manual metadata refreshes it is just ASKING for trouble,

Unless metabrowser is using Imdb, then it's pulling the information from the same places we are. And further, it's usage of those sources will fall out of date with changes over time. If you use ours and you have an issue, we'll be happy to work with you to resolve it.

Theodore

Unless metabrowser is using Imdb, then it's pulling the information from the same places we are. And further, it's usage of those sources will fall out of date with changes over time. If you use ours and you have an issue, we'll be happy to work with you to resolve it.

I have brought it up before, a couple of times too. Others have brought it up on previous updates. Your responses each time were "Sorry! You'll just have to recreate the data." so you'll forgive me if I don't take your word for it that you'll help us get it resolved. Just don't drop support for reading XML files and we can keep working with that.

I have brought it up before, a couple of times too. Others have brought it up on previous updates. Your responses each time were "Sorry! You'll just have to recreate the data." so you'll forgive me if I don't take your word for it that you'll help us get it resolved. Just don't drop support for reading XML files and we can keep working with that.

Ok well yes that is a legacy format. No we're not dropping support for it, but nfo is what we develop and test on. For xml at this point we are mainly just keeping it compatible with newer server releases.

charlesbosquet
Gentlemen hello,

If the recovery of data may be sufficient for American mainstream films, the recovery and management of data by Emby is far from ideal. By my profession I prefer to manage my xml myself.

As the players are perfect, I pay the Emby subscription since its creation, some regressions remain: the management of casting images for example. Everything is now in hidden files. The previous system was much simpler.

All this to say that being a professional in VOD and SVOD,software MediaBrowser is for me a daily tool. I manage the media libraries of dozens of French producers and actors, each field is perfectly informed (and in French), there is no missing casting photo, no backdrop, poster or logo.

Despite the renewal of my hardware, I must continue to use my old PC to be able to use MetaBrowser.

I looked for alternatives but this software was the best in its class. 

If someone has a tip to install it in a new machine, or even contact one of the developers of the time, know that I am ready to pay a license for life to be able to continue using this incomparable software .

Thank you for your help.

CB

• 6 months later...
Theodore
On 4/24/2020 at 1:11 PM, Villiam said:

This didn't work. There appears to be a checksum of some kind being done validating it is the same machine because even when I did a direct copy of the ENTIRE machine to VM I got the same result - validation failed.

Has anyone heard from Fatal at all? His/her entire presence on the internet seems to have just... stopped.

• 6 months later...
AdrianW

I've been using metabrowser successfully - until today and now I'm getting the dreaded "verification failed" message. And this is on the same PC as I've been using it for many years.

• 3 months later...

So mad today! 🥵 The Metabrowser that I've using for more than 10+ years are refusing to launch due to this "verification failed" thing that all of you are talking about.

I even cloned my old SSD (old mobo died) onto the new SSD so I have identical files, folders and everything, MetaBrowser still refuses to run.

And this "fatal" guy who I think is MetaBrowser's creator has gone AWOL, with the domain not even working.

No offence to Emby team, they are good at what they do, but Emby is not a metadata sorter/collector/organizer and using the code-based, drop-down menu based approach of editing each and every field is not nice.

Has anyone found a comparable alternative or hacked the MetaBrowser so those of us who bought the license before can still use it on other machines when the old ones die? 🙏

Edited by mbguy

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, mbguy said:

Has anyone found a comparable alternative

On 11/25/2019 at 1:28 AM, Happy2Play said:

Maybe something like tinymediamanager.

It's miles ahead.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Maybe something like tinymediamanager.

It's miles ahead.

Wow, thanks! There is hope, yay! 🥳