Emby for Kodi-19 (Python-3) issue

Peter Nent

Peter Nent

After a fresh install of Kodi 19.0-ALPHA1 Git:20191121-3dff49d1d7 (Python-3 based), I downloaden the 'repository.beta.emby.kodi-1.0.9.zip' repository and installed Emby for Kodi 4.1.16 as instructed, but error-on-error occured and after reading the log, it is clear:

2019-11-23 21:51:21.613 T:8268   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <class 'AttributeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'str' object has no attribute 'decode'
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\Huiskamer\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.emby\default.py", line 15, in <module>
                                                __base__ = xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join(__addon__.getAddonInfo('path'), 'resources', 'lib')).decode('utf-8')
                                            AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'decode'
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
2019-11-23 21:51:21.625 T:7868   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.emby/?content_type=video
2019-11-23 21:51:21.630 T:1264   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.emby/?content_type=video) failed

probably due to a bug ?, please help !

Thanks & best regards,
Peter
Edited by PeterNent
  • Like 2

TeamB

The Kodi 19 Matrix nightly builds are now using Python 3, this will break a bunch of add-ons.

I don't think there is a E4K Python 3 version yet, you will have to switch back to Kodi 18 if you want to use the E4K add-on.

• Like 1

sualfred

Kodi 19 (Matrix) is just at the beginning. Don't expect an release in the next <12-16 months. Even I cannot port my skin because of missing dependecies. Stay away from it and run Leia.

• 1 month later...
sualfred

Ask in 12 months when it hits somthing like a pre-alpha stage. Currently it can break day by day and is under heavy development. There is already stuff broken. And only a few addons are ported yet.

Edit:

EmbyCon is ported, if you really want to ride this unstable beast. 

Edited by sualfred

raptorjr

Thank you. The fastest way to get it stable is that many people test it, or at least that is what I can bring to the party. But I prefer to use E4K. I just have to wait.

sualfred

It makes no sense to switch to any Kodi version in this early stage. What breaks day by day is Kodi itself. Not the addon. 

raptorjr

I’ve used Milhouses daily builds for at least two years and it is not very often there any big unexpected problems. Works fine for every day use. And it is easy to go back to a working version if necessary.

So the only reason for me to stop now is to wait for a Phyton 3 E4K addon.

LongMan

@@raptorjr,

Maybe MediaImport could tide you over. It is being re-based to master as we speak. But you could try the builds from here and we see if we can get some milhouse builds once the rebase is completed.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

LongMan

Wait 12 Months... THIS IS NOT THE WAY! I use Kodi 19 HDR Edition and i need it (Kodi 18 dosnt support HDR Meta Data Pass t. so its real worthless). No matter its alpha or not, its stable and still works perfect. So E4K should move quickly to Phyton 3 even to test it for futer final release. I pay for emby and we are in the HDR Century. HDR normaly should be have highest priority. In my opinion

Edited by Gee1

sualfred

Good that you are paying Emby, but Emby for Kodi is created by the community, not by the Emby team. This applies to Emby for Kodi, EmbyCon and the Embuary skin. We do this for in our spare time without getting payed. Deal with it, no Emby for Kodi in the next few months. We have our reasons why we aren't supporting Kodi in this early stages. And the Python3 conversion is not something that can be achieved in 1 or 2 evenings.

As I said, EmbyCon is already Python3 compatible.

Edit:

Regarding HDR capatiblity for all other interested users -> Kodi 18 Leia is working great with HDR on Nvidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box, Fire TV 4k, Fire TV Cube, CoreElec. 

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 1

raptorjr

Yes, what kind of features does MediaImport have? What I want is that everything should feel like a local Kodi media library. No missing Kodi features or specials that need to be done once everything is setup.

LongMan

It is the project on which Emby for Kodi is based. The experience should be more or less the same except that the feature is a core Kodi feature. After installing the required Media Importer, mediaimporter.emby in this case. Everything is internal to Kodi.

I did a intro writeup here. Use the appropriate files from above and follow the instructions.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80916-kodi-mediaimport-project/

Here is an old video using Kodi installs of Kodi. It now supports external servers, including emby.

Give it a try. 15 minutes of your time. You won't regret it.

Edited by LongMan