v4.3.0.26 crash - v4.3.0.24b seemed fine

JaScoMa

JaScoMa

I downgraded to v4.3.0.24b and it plays fine.

I'll upgrade to v4.3.0.26 and try again and through the web app.

JaScoMa

Hello..

Last night watched a number of different movies without any issues running on v4.3.0.24.

This morning, shutdown v4.3.0.24 and installed v4.3.0.26 over it and rebooted.

Brought Emby up in the web interface and tried to start the movie; the buffering circle started and Emby crashed.  Restarted the services and it comes back.  Try start watching a movie again, it crashes.

Downgraded back to v4.3.0.24 and reboot.  Movie started playing in the web interface without any issues.

Movie is a MKV so there is transcoding of audio taking place.  When I get a chance, I'll change the audio settings to see if the transcoding is the issue.

Thanks..

embyserver-63710187928.txt

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-b9f21008-e69e-4883-847c-da109d91bb8d_1.txt

hardware_detection-63710187942.txt

JaScoMa

Upgraded back to v4.3.0.26, changed the audio to DD 5.1 (it's either that or TrueHD), and same thing.  The instant the movie starts buffering, Emby crashes.

v4.3.0.24b, changed the audio to DD 5.1 and the movie starts fine and plays fine.

RockPro64 (aarch64)
DietPi v6.26.3
Emby v4.3.0.24b / v4.3.0.26

Edited by JaScoMa

JaScoMa

Can you try a different video?

Hello..

I upgraded to the latest final version (4.3.0.30) and tried an mp4 encoded video.  It played, but the audio was at a lower level than normal.

If I tried a MKV file, Emby immediately crashed as soon as I started playing the video.

I've rolled back to v4.3.0.24b and things are playing fine.

Thank you..

• 2 weeks later...
JaScoMa

Sorry, I missed your posting.

I attempted this version and when I start a movie, it'll buffer a number of seconds prior to finally crashing again.  The nVidia player then went back to the movie title screen and obviously won't do anything else because has crashed.

Thanks..

embyserver-63711395919.txt

ffmpeg-remux-6475f4bb-b629-4786-a624-21beb12e5fb7_1.txt

hardware_detection-63711395931.txt

JaScoMa

@@Luke

Need to update the status.  I rolled back to v4.3.0.24b and things played fine.  I wanted to see if I could try different bandwidths, audio, etc., so I upgraded to the 4.3.0.30 you offered.

From the main movie screen, i could only change the audio track, so I changed from TrueHD 7.1 to DD 5.1.  Upon doing this, I told the movie to play from the beginning instead of from a certain point.

When i did this, the movie started playing fine.  At the beginning though, there was some pixelation and things, but I think it may have been part of the movie.  I'll try this again later.

I then closed Emby client, "dismissed" it and then reopened.  This time, I selected TrueHD for the Audio track and tried playing the movie from the beginning.  As before, it started buffering for a couple seconds prior to Emby finally crashing.

So it appears as though the transcoding from TrueHD to a supported audio track is what is causing the issues.

Attached are logs from trying to play the movie with TrueHD followed by the restart of Emby and playing the movie with DD 5.1.

Thank you..

embyserver-63711397452.txt

hardware_detection-63711397464.txt

hardware_detection-63711396955.txt

ffmpeg-remux-dd3050b8-5232-4820-b47b-08f8c3725ab8_1.txt

embyserver.txt

JaScoMa

@@Luke

I then tried an encoded movie which is using 5.1 DTS pass-thru and an AAC audio track.

When i tried to play the video with the DTS audio track, as before, buffering for a few seconds followed by emby crash.

Restart of everything and tried playing the video with the AAC audio track and it plays fine.

Hope this helps..

JaScoMa

@@Luke

Tried the latest v4.4.0.1 beta and just as with the previous versions.  DD 5.1 or AAC audio, the movies play fine.  TrueHD 7.1 or DTS, Emby crashes after a few seconds of buffering.

Hope this helps..

maeffjus

I forgot one issue...

Doesn't matter which version of the beta I use, but: it plays almost immediately when I use the emby website on any computer, but it does not with the android app.

It always takes about 30-60 seconds until the playback starts. It does not matter if it is transcoded or direct.

This is very annoying.. And besides, during transcoding, the system is fast and responsive. So I guess it is not a lack of horsepower.

Regards!

I forgot one issue...

Doesn't matter which version of the beta I use, but: it plays almost immediately when I use the emby website on any computer, but it does not with the android app.

It always takes about 30-60 seconds until the playback starts. It does not matter if it is transcoded or direct.

This is very annoying.. And besides, during transcoding, the system is fast and responsive. So I guess it is not a lack of horsepower.

Regards!

Please see how to report a media playback issue and we'll be happy to help. thanks.

JaScoMa

Hello @@Luke..

I downgraded (from v4.4.0.1 beta) to this version and first tried a MKV video (using DD 5.1) and an MP4 encoded video (using AAC) and both played without any issues.

Next tried the MKV with TrueHD 7.1 and the MP4 encoded with DTS 5.1 and both played properly.

Stats for nerds is showing transcoding is working at 253 fps for the MKV and 345 fps for the encoded video for the unsupported audio.

This version appears to be working properly.

If there is anything you wish me to test, please let me know.

Thank you..

Great, thanks! Looks like we've finally chased this one down. We'll get a new stable out very soon.

• Like 1

At this point both the stable and beta channels have been updated to resolve the arm64 transcoding crashes. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
JaScoMa

@Luke  Upgraded my Debian installation to v4.5.0.14 beta from v4.5.0.13 beta and it seems to be playing fine.

I forgot what I originally posted about, but using the Shield client, the TrueHD transcoding is working properly with the same movie; Ironman.  Transcoding speed is showing as 230-241 fps.

The responsiveness seemed better and more responsive for the interface moving around and selecting a movie.

Thank you..

JaScoMa
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

@JaScoMa this is the same device running the server that you saw crashing on back in the first post, right? 

@Luke Correct, it's the same RockPro64 Dietpi Buster installation.