Help me spend some money!

Sammy

If you get a x2 or x4, you only lose two SATA ports. But if you're referring to the LSI controller, I'd suggest you get one.

5de16e5f5d0b0_Annotation20191129111338.j

So with the MoBo selected and one of those cards I can support a total of 13 drives, including the m.2?

Isn't it cheaper just to get a MoBo with more SATA Ports?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

Guest asrequested

So with the MoBo selected and one of those cards I can support a total of 13 drives, including the m.2?

Isn't it cheaper just to get a MoBo with more SATA Ports?

Yeah, but I would prefer using the LSI controller, because if you change the motherboard again, you can re-use it. 

Why get the M.2 heatsink? The motherboard has it's own.

Good catch! Now I remember seeing the Heatsink on the MoBo. Been a while and I am on vacation..

Spaceboy

Good catch! Now I remember seeing the Heatsink on the MoBo. Been a while and I am on vacation..

hey, you wanted to spend some money. You didn’t say sensibly! [emoji23][emoji23]

Of course if there’s a heat sink on the mobo then not needed

• Like 1

arrbee99

I thought the stock was considered a quite decent example of the breed, especially if you're not overclocking.

Spaceboy

I thought the stock was considered a quite decent example of the breed, especially if you're not overclocking.

fair enough. i always buy a noctua. always much quieter and more efficient

arrbee99

Am sure Noctua are very good, but got to stop spending somewhere and as I mentioned somewhere I got a Fractal Design R5 which is supposed to be good in the noise stakes.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

It depends where your machine is and how susceptible to noise you are. I hate any fan type noise and live in a one bedroom flat so....

arrbee99

Well silence was just a part of it. It was that and a combination of a box with decent space for storage (8 3.5's, 2 5.25's, 2 ssd's), looking presentable, and getting something hopefully well made cos I'm probably going to be using it for at least 5 years.

I've never used anything but the stock heatsink and fan on my CPUs but then again I've never used an AMD CPU.

The spending must stop soon! About ready to click buy now

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

The Wraith cooler that comes with recent AMD CPUs is much better than the junk Intel was shipping with their CPUs. Definitely not silent though if that is important to you. You should be fine with the stock cooler.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1