Help me spend some money!

Sammy

Spaceboy

5 USD or 5 GBP?

We have 20mbps no cap but need headroom for external Emby clients. Is it schedulable?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

pretty much the same these days  :D  but its in USD

Spaceboy

rclone - yes completely schedulable. it runs from a .bat file set off by a windows scheduled task so i guess you can set it to run when you want and for how long. i have 3 sync tasks running. one runs at 6am every day to copy my most recent backups from all my home pc's and the other 2 run 24/7 kicked off by the user logging on, so literally all the time. you can also limit the bandwidth the sync is allowed, but tbh i have them running at 100% and i have never noticed any issues with watching emby media remotely

Jdiesel

I personally find that unRAID is a nice balance when it comes to protection from drive failure for low risk data like media. It uses a single parity drive (can add a second for added security), which must be equal to or larger than the remaining drives in the array, which can be used to recovery any failed drive in your array. The data stored on the array is pooled across the drives however you choose and a drive can be removed and accessed independently from the array. It is extremely simple to add new drives too. You don't get the performance benefits as you would with a conventional RAID because write speeds are dependent on the parity drive, however you can add an SSD as a cache drive which can mitigate the issue of slow write speeds.

As an added bonus, running dockers and VMs is about as easy as it gets and the catalog of ready to use dockers is comprehensive.   

About 4 months ago I had an old WD Green 3TB fail on me. I ordered a new 8TB replacement drive and swapped it out a few days later with zero interruptions to my server and zero data loss during the window when the 3TB was down. I didn't even have to power down my machine get the 8TB running in my existing array. I was super impressed with the whole process.

• Like 1

This one looks good?

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-660p-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07GCCPD28

The board @ linked has m.2. Do I need the pcie card?

AFAIK, I will need a controller card no matter what. The m.2 takes away 3 SATA busses..

Spaceboy

This one looks good?

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-660p-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07GCCPD28

The board @ linked has m.2. Do I need the pcie card?

AFAIK, I will need a controller card no matter what. The m.2 takes away 3 SATA busses..

if your board has an m2 plug then you should be good to go without the pcie card i linked. you may still want some sort of heat sink / cooler

not an expert here so i'm not quite sure what you mean but in my set up i have 1 controller card that supports 16 disks and another 4 plugged into sata ports on the motherboard. thats the full 20 full size drives that my case can handle. for me the controller card is plugged into one pcie x16 slot, the m2 in a second and the optane disk in a third. i don't remember whats in the 4th right now, i think my tv tuner card. no issues with conflict. but i'm not an expert, i just know it works :)

if your board has an m2 plug then you should be good to go without the pcie card i linked. you may still want some sort of heat sink / cooler

not an expert here so i'm not quite sure what you mean but in my set up i have 1 controller card that supports 16 disks and another 4 plugged into sata ports on the motherboard. thats the full 20 full size drives that my case can handle. for me the controller card is plugged into one pcie x16 slot, the m2 in a second and the optane disk in a third. i don't remember whats in the 4th right now, i think my tv tuner card. no issues with conflict. but i'm not an expert, i just know it works :)

The m.2 slot on the MoBo takes up 3 SATA Ports on the MoBo AFAIK. An adapter card is necessary I think.

Heat sink is cheap insurance so yes.

Guest asrequested

It's a bit more $ than the intel m.2?

That's because it's NVMe (Non Volatile Memory) and has a wider read/write bandwidth. Not needed, I suppose, but nice to have :)

Guest asrequested

The m.2 slot on the MoBo takes up 3 SATA Ports on the MoBo AFAIK. An adapter card is necessary I think.

If you get a x2 or x4, you only lose two SATA ports. But if you're referring to the LSI controller, I'd suggest you get one. 

5de16e5f5d0b0_Annotation20191129111338.j

arrbee99

Wondering how / if that table applies to mobo's in general. Is it for every mobo, just for AMD boards, particular generations of mobo, just for the mobo you linked too...

Jdiesel

I don't think there is any hard rule with motherboards and m.2 drives. My MSI motherboad is similar to the table above but I believe some can use a m.2 and all sata ports. Likely depends on the chipset/chipsets used. 

Guest asrequested

Wondering how / if that table applies to mobo's in general. Is it for every mobo, just for AMD boards, particular generations of mobo, just for the mobo you linked too...

It depends on the available PCIe lanes, specifically how many. My Threadripper board has 64, and 3 M.2 slots, with 8 SATA ports. There are enough lanes to support everything.

arrbee99

I don't think there is any hard rule with motherboards and m.2 drives. My MSI motherboad is similar to the table above but I believe some can use a m.2 and all sata ports. Likely depends on the chipset/chipsets used. 

Can't spot anything in the info for my board (yet) so I'll just have to keep plugging stuff in and see what happens...

Jdiesel

Can't spot anything in the info for my board (yet) so I'll just have to keep plugging stuff in and see what happens...

Download the manual, it should state it in there

arrbee99

It depends on the available PCIe lanes, specifically how many. My Threadripper board has 64, and 3 M.2 slots, with 8 SATA ports. There are enough lanes to support everything.

Its an x570 board, think that makes it 16 lanes. Will try a bit of googling and hope I actually understand what I find...

arrbee99

Download the manual, it should state it in there

Can't spot anything. Lots of stuff about how to install an m.2, nothing in connection with sata or lanes (yet).

arrbee99

Thanks, I shall have a read. Saw that article come up under google, just hadn't worked my way to it yet. Just trying to make breakfast as well, guess multitasking really is a female of the species type thing, or maybe its just me.

Guest asrequested

Thanks, I shall have a read. Saw that article come up under google, just hadn't worked my way to it yet. Just trying to make breakfast as well, guess multitasking really is a female of the species type thing, or maybe its just me.

The second link is more informative

• Like 1