Artwork caching - 4.1.16

acnp77

@@Angelblue05

On my old kodi-emby client (3.0.34) I had a setting called "force artwork caching" and "limit cache threads", which I limited to 25 on my rpi2. This worked fine.

Now, on 4.1.16 on rpi2  I only have the option "enable artwork caching". But the artwork only loads partially, even after hours it is not complete. Do I need to trigger it somehow? e.g. by scrolling through my content? Or will I just have to wait? If I use the function "cache all artwork" the pi2 gets stuck while waiting for all threads to exit. I assume there are just too many.

No error in the log:

14:46:42.761 T:1484202912  NOTICE: EMBY.objects.kodi.artwork -> Waiting for all threads to exit: 1 (18335)

Cheers

Angelblue05

There’s no more threads for artwork caching (just one now) because that caused crashing to happen. However, it does now only push artwork when the memory for it is available. Because that’s what used to happen previously, the device would run out of memory spam caching artwork.

Now, you have two solutions for your current situation.

Either do the cache all artwork but that will take a long time. If I had to guess the memory usage went up and so you have to wait for It to go back down... giving the illusion it’s stuck, but it should tell u visually how many artwork there is left to process.

Scroll through your content will trigger Kodi to cache the artwork.

I’m honestly a bit surprised to hear you didn’t have crashing issues with artwork caching previously when it was common issue on low powered devices...

Edited by Angelblue05

Thank you.

Well, I never had any issues with 3.0.34 and previous versions on the rpi2. All artwork cached and memory never at the limit.

As for now on 4.1.16 scrolling through all the content and waiting for it to cache is going to be a tedious task.

Using "cache all artwork" will go through all content and give me visual feedback. The process only took a few minutes. But then the feedback ends with the message "waiting for all threads to exit" and the progress bar just stays at 100% and the  last log entry is

14:46:42.761 T:1484202912  NOTICE: EMBY.objects.kodi.artwork -> Waiting for all threads to exit: 1 (18335)

and the client is not visible in the server dashboard anymore.

I will try to let the "cache all artwork" run over night and see what happens...

Edited by acnp77

Ok, thank you. Seems I miss-interpreted the client feedback. This could take forever though. I will give it a try.

Cheers

Edited by acnp77

Ok, the issue gets better over time, after scrolling through content... thanks for the support.

BTW: How do I get rid of the blue stars with the ratings? I have no use for this feature and it would look much better without. (using default Estuary skin)

THANKS

Edited by acnp77

@@Angelblue05

Sorry, just one last question: (client version 4.1.16 and embuary skin)

I assume the artwork is stored on the client when I use the library view ("movies" in estuary or "all movies" -> "library" in embuary).

When I browse the movies in the add-on ("add-on" -> "emby" -> "movies" -> "movies" in estuary or "movies" in embuary) is the artwork served from the emby-server or the client?

I am asking because I can not see any performance difference.

Artwork is still loading very slow and already cached items sometimes disappear again.

THANK YOU

Angelblue05

The shortcut itself, via the addon is provided by the server. Is it the same content in both shortcuts, just different filters.

If artwork is disappearing, it appears when the cursor is over it?

Edited by Angelblue05

A reboot helped a lot... I think it's ok, just needs some time.

So the artwork is stored on the client, regardless of what shortcut I use? Is this correct?

The artwork does not appear when the cursor is over it.

Anything I can look for in the log?

Edited by acnp77

Angelblue05

Correct, the artwork is cached locally regardless. If the add-on doesn't do it, then Kodi will automatically as you navigate content.

• Like 1

@@Angelblue05

FYI: I am sorry, I think the issue about artwork not showing correctly is not about the kodi-client but about the embuary skin.

Example: Artwork (Cover) shows for movie "X", then I navigate away from "movies" and back again. Suddenly the artwork has disappeard (just black).

If I do "reload skin" it shows again. I will have to see how it continues to behave...

Thanks for asking. It seems to cache the artwork more and more over time but then several items get lost again and do not come back even if the item is selected.

Sometimes "reload skin" or reboot fixes it, but sometimes not. I am still trying to find out that it could be.