Trailers quality

raudraido

Thanks for letting us know what the issue was!

BTW, was this a good way to setup this up using the command line sqlite program & batch file?

raudraido
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thanks for letting us know what the issue was!

BTW, was this a good way to setup this up using the command line sqlite program & batch file?

It was easy to me. At first it didn't work, because I didn't read that it should be inside emby's main folder. 

I think you can add syntax to bat file which will find that installation folder itself 

crusher11
45 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

It seems like a waste of time anyway, as all my trailers are URLs like this: "https://cdn-mlst.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/classics/oneflewoverthecuckoosnest.mov"

Which wouldn't be affected in the first place.

Managed to get my library back. Not sure how it got blanked, but I still had the backup in the working folder so I recopied it and we're all good. But, yeah, not sure how this is supposed to help much.

So am I the only one with this type of URL? 

No lots of them are like that but many are specifically 480 and THESE are the ones we upgrade to 1080.

For example what is the URL of Astro Kid & Black Widow on your system?

You could try changing them to 720 to see if these stream better for you.

UPDATE MediaItems SET Path = replace( Path, 'h1080p.mov', 'h720p.mov') where type=10 and Path like '%h1080p%';

If you change the sql previously used to this it will change anything 1080 to 720 which would be worth testing.

• 2 weeks later...
tshadduck

Isnt it great when the community troubleshoots a simple issue before developers do?  Expect this to continue as Emby grows. Plex all over again....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
braddles69

@cayars you are a legend, such a simple fix, but a joy to find community members who work their magic like this, had been bothering me for awhile, but I don't watch them much, but when I did come to research tonight, bingo a guy like you, very simple and elegant and easy to use...kudos

Edited by braddles69
  • Like 1

Appreciate the kind words.  This forum is full of "Legends" who help people out with things like this daily.

We have a great community of very helpful people!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
georgiosdelimpasis

After I changed the quality with the batch file, the Trailers shutter like i am having a bad internet connection.
My internet connection is fine even for 4k streaming on YouTube.

raudraido
6 minutes ago, georgiosdelimpasis said:

After I changed the quality with the batch file, the Trailers shutter like i am having a bad internet connection.
My internet connection is fine even for 4k streaming on YouTube.

Same here. I have multiple ISP-s and very fast connection. I think it's something to-do with Apple slowing that kind of connections down. If you are streaming those same videos from Apple, they work fine.

13 minutes ago, raudraido said:

Same here. I have multiple ISP-s and very fast connection. I think it's something to-do with Apple slowing that kind of connections down. If you are streaming those same videos from Apple, they work fine.

You cannot stream HD trailers from Apple unless using their QuickTime user agent implicitly.

Try this as your user agent:
QuickTime/7.6.6 (qtver=7.6.6;cpu=IA32;os=Mac 10.6.8)

Using that you should be able to download at full speed. You want to act (or at least look) like QuickTime on a Mac.

Edited by speechles

Hmm, that could certainly explain why the trailers were HD by default.

I personally have not noticed the stutter issue or any issues but I playback via Android ATV almost all the time.
The good thing is if this causes you a problem you can change the script and reset the trailers back the way they were very easily.

rbjtech

Thanks for the SQL @cayars 

I have no issues streaming the 1080p trailers from Edge on a PC after modifying the path.

The trailer details are actually got from  https://mediabrowser.github.io/Trailers/listingswithmetadata2.txt when the system is started... ;)

So it would be better to just modify the input file (as you can clearly find the 480p references in the above file..) 

I think this must be a legal issue otherwise this seems like a very easy fix ...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
jrwalte

I really like the idea of trailers and find it ridiculous that in 2021 a solution in Emby can't be found. Every year or so I'll come back to see if it finally fixed, and it the same shit for over 6 years. Even when this was first incepted, 480p would have been unacceptable!

Time to leave it off for another year. Maybe 2022 will be the one LUL

Edited by jrwalte

• 1 month later...
Nitrofish
On 3/1/2021 at 11:23 PM, speechles said:

You cannot stream HD trailers from Apple unless using their QuickTime user agent implicitly.

Try this as your user agent:
QuickTime/7.6.6 (qtver=7.6.6;cpu=IA32;os=Mac 10.6.8)

Using that you should be able to download at full speed. You want to act (or at least look) like QuickTime on a Mac.

Where can I change the user agent?

redlozenge

I recently went down this rabbit hole of wanting higher quality trailers too. Not trying to hijack the thread or anything... I just thought I'd share the solution/workaround I came up with in case anyone else was interested. I put it up on github here: https://github.com/lozengenods/emby-apple-trailers

I wanted something I could set-and-forget, so basically this python script is scheduled to run once a day, and it will build/update a local trailers library of .strm files using the Apple Trailers RSS feed. By default it points to the 1080p trailers.

The library it creates looks like this:

Trailers\ Movie1\ Movie1.strm <-- Emby seemed to require a movie to exist in order to have trailers for that movie. This strm file just points to a trailer also.
Trailers\ Movie1\ trailers\ trailer1.strm
Trailers\ Movie1\ trailers\ trailer2.strm
Trailers\ Movie2\ Movie2.strm
Trailers\ Movie2\ trailers\ trailer1.strm

Then you add the library to Emby, and apply the appropriate cinema intros settings to use local trailers.

I tested it on Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04. I also tested the library playback on my Roku TV and Nvidia Shield devices. If anyone tries it out and has problems just let me know!

• 2 weeks later...
ertagon2

Okay a stupid question here... why not just play the trailers from youtube? This feels overly complicated no?

[Edit]
It would fix the quality issue too.

Edited by ertagon2

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, ertagon2 said:

Okay a stupid question here... why not just play the trailers from youtube? This feels overly complicated no?

Not every platforms/device allows YouTube trailers to be played outside their app/client.  So it does become extremely complicated.

ertagon2
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Not every platforms/device allows YouTube trailers to be played outside their app/client.  So it does become extremely complicated.

What about the already existing trailer functionality under the "Trailer" button it seems to work fine on my Android and PC.
Is there really enough devices that are not supported to not consider them edge cases?

Happy2Play
Just now, ertagon2 said:

What about the already existing trailer functionality under the "Trailer" button it seems to work fine on my Android and PC.
Is there really enough devices that are not supported to not consider them edge cases?

Sure if you want the app/client banned from the store that provides it.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, ertagon2 said:

Try it on a Roku and you'll see there is no way to do this for example.
Every device platform has different abilities and rules/requirements which Emby has to follow.

YouTube has made it quite clear that if you want to play their items you must use their ecosystem of players. For PC there exists methods to inject YouTube into the video player without compromise their interface. The YouTube specific buttons work. The YouTube interface depends on that.

When playing on just a normal video player you lose the interactive display of clicking items. You can see they want you to click on stuff and subscribe and even buttons show on the screen you can click if this were played inside a YouTube interface. Since it is just playing as a video it loses everything YouTube about it. You cannot click buttons within a video when it is played on just any video player. It just won't work. YouTube wants that to work.

That means YouTube wants to control the user experience entirely when you view their material.

On the Roku it is impossible to stay within the Emby app to play YouTube video. You would exit the Emby app and launch into the YouTube app and play the trailer. But how do you get back to Emby after watching the trailer on YouTube? You do not. YouTube has no interest in that.

This means it is likely illegal and against the terms of service of the YouTube platform to do this. Which means Emby cannot proceed. Apologies.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...