Today's update disabled line break tag <br>

sslovan

Today's update disabled line break tag <br> in metadata overview. Can this be re-enabled, please??? Since there is no other way yet to obtain paragraphs....

Re. Overview: is it impossible In this point to make the iOS app behave identical to the Web app on iOS? Where line breaks (and other stuff) work with CSS?

in the meantime, I prefer the Web app iOS to the dedicated iOS app, because on the latter, my longer overview texts are more or less a garbled mess.

Unfortunately our hands are a bit tied on this because if we allow the custom markup, then it is vulnerable to a javascript injection attack. That's why this was done and the next update to your web app will do the same thing.

We recognize that you want to be able to have line breaks, and we'll come up with a way for you to do this on all platforms. Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks for the hope of a future solution (hopefully in not too distant a future), and thanks for the warning re. Web app update.
i like Emby enormously, it has a lot to offer. I like to add longer texts (reviews and essais) to the film/actors/directors/crew pages, to build gradually a serious home cinematheque. 
On the AppleTV app, strangely enough, line breaks work so far without CSS. I also use the Emby server via the MrMc App, where line breaks are rendered on both the iOS and TVOS apps. But the multiple catalogue/sorting qualities of Emby are unsurpassed. 
I shall open a bottle of champagne the day line breaks appear on all Emby apps....

• 2 weeks later...
crunchyemby

Unfortunately our hands are a bit tied on this because if we allow the custom markup, then it is vulnerable to a javascript injection attack. That's why this was done and the next update to your web app will do the same thing.

We recognize that you want to be able to have line breaks, and we'll come up with a way for you to do this on all platforms. Thanks.

This saddens me immensely.... I have custom html embedded throughout my library, to include supplementary elements within emby (e.g., image galleries and links to internal/external supporting content, etc) ... oh well, I'll have to find another way.

I think ultimately we should try to find a way to restore the ability to have some support for certain html tags while preventing others.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
joshhuggins

Just wanted to give a little bump on this. Would REALLY love for this to come back so I can read my recipes again for my cooking videos. :P Thanks!

The layout changes in Emby for iOS 1.9.0 are mostly welcome, but alas there is still no line break in overview. It somehow baffles me that this seems to be such a complicated issue... 

Emby for AppleTV shows the line breaks in overview, and I‘ll stick to the older Emby WebOS version, where CSS line breaks still work. All other apps that I am using with Emby have no issue with it (MrMC, tinymediamanager just restored it)

• 3 weeks later...

I notice that in Emby iOS 1.9.1 line breaks with <br> are showing up again! 

Thank you very much indeed!

Will this remain for the time being? (I am asking for the sake of the amount of work adding them to my nfo-files)

• 11 months later...
sslovan

Happy New Year, and thanks for all the efforts and work you put into Emby!

I would like to update my request. I tried for a while to fill my metadata overview with <br> tags, but it is a frustrating task with some 7000 movies, and every refresh of subtitles for example deletes the tags again. And tags are visible and distracting on the Apple TV app. So in the end, I removed them again.

I understand that every OS uses its own line break command.

BUT: is it really not possible that all Emby MacOs/iOS apps would effect the Mac line break command, like the Emby AppleTV app already does? This would not change the data on the server (Synology NAS in my case). I also use the Infuse plug-in for Emby, and Infuse apps also do that, as does the MrMc plug-in for Emby. 

It would make such a difference, once you try to build a film library with longer descriptions and texts, especially because Emby also provides info pages for persons, collections etc.... (which can't be accessed yet on Infuse).

I know this is a niche request, but on the other hand, any film student would be happy, I think....

6EE631B6-24A9-4C31-9116-0664CF7E95ED.jpeg

Edited by sslovan

8 hours ago, sslovan said:

Happy New Year, and thanks for all the efforts and work you put into Emby!

I would like to update my request. I tried for a while to fill my metadata overview with <br> tags, but it is a frustrating task with some 7000 movies, and every refresh of subtitles for example deletes the tags again. And tags are visible and distracting on the Apple TV app. So in the end, I removed them again.

I understand that every OS uses its own line break command.

BUT: is it really not possible that all Emby MacOs/iOS apps would effect the Mac line break command, like the Emby AppleTV app already does? This would not change the data on the server (Synology NAS in my case). I also use the Infuse plug-in for Emby, and Infuse apps also do that, as does the MrMc plug-in for Emby. 

It would make such a difference, once you try to build a film library with longer descriptions and texts, especially because Emby also provides info pages for persons, collections etc.... (which can't be accessed yet on Infuse).

I know this is a niche request, but on the other hand, any film student would be happy, I think....

6EE631B6-24A9-4C31-9116-0664CF7E95ED.jpeg

Hi, can't you lock the overview field?

sslovan

I lock it every time I update the metadata. However, once I add new subtitles for example, <br> tags are gone. Besides, they show as very distracting <br> on Emby Apple TV and all other devices like Infuse that do perform regular line breaks. 

Can you please enlighten me about the technical aspect that makes it so difficult to add line breaks in the Emby iOS/MacOs apps. I am NOT talking of the data on the server. Why are the Emby AppleTV app and the Emby plug-in for Infuse able to respect line break? They use the same metadata on the Emby server.... 

See the attached Infuse/Emby screenshot

1A886B9C-E141-4C27-8192-74E11BD3BC36.jpeg

Ok I don't think it's ever been supported in the apple tv app but it's something we can look at in future updates. Thanks.

sslovan

Thanks Luke, but please no misunderstanding:

Emby AppleTV does everything right, it renders the correct line break command by itself!!! No changes to that, please! I am very happy with how it is in that regard!

I just wanted to ask: why is it not possible to introduce the same McOS line break command just for the Emby iOS and Emby McOS standalone apps, - I mean NOT on the server side, where metadata remains unaltered without additional tags for any other OS.

Emby AppleTV, Infuse for Emby, MrMc for Emby: all of these MacOS/iOS/TV apps render the correct Mac line break command with given metadata from the Emby server (without clumsy <br> tags)

Thank you for your patience and attention.

Edited by sslovan

sslovan

I am afraid we go in circles here (see previous posts). I have explained the reasons why I stopped adding manually tons of <br> and <br/> tags that are removed again with any refreshment of the (locked) entry, like adding subtitles, or are not invisible on AppleTV. 

I just wondered why other plug-in apps can render line break command on the very same unaltered, untagged metadata from Emby server.

Ok, I give up and won't bother again with this.

Thank you for all efforts

sslovan

I lock the whole entry (see screenshot) 

On the second screenshot, you see the raw metadata, without </br> tags, but with unsupported paragraph line command. 

However, Emby Apple TV, Infuse for Emby (iOS, TVOS and MacOS alpha), MrMc for Emby (iOS and TVOS) do indeed render the very same line commands from Emby server in a correct and beautiful way, thus creating lisible paragraphs.

My only questions was: is it impossible to introduce the same handling on the Emby apps for iOS and MacOS? 

D7DA78F3-095D-4E9A-B2A2-E7EB0BFB92E7.jpeg

6516A152-34CB-4048-B48A-7F404A97766F.jpeg

This has nothing to do with the individual client apps if you're saying the overview is being changed after downloading subtitles. is that what you're saying?

Then that's what we need to focus on. Do you have nfo files in your media folders next to your video files?