RV use without internet - Android TV download option

Well69

Is there a way to download/sync so that I can watch videos offline?

I have a synology server and want to load up / sync an android tv device at home then watch emby on road trips without using an internet connection.

Chromecast and a tablet or phone but you still need a WiFi that doesn't have to be connected to a modem.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Or have a small server in the RV.  This could be on a laptop, a Nuc just for that or, even, a Shield TV which you also use as the viewing device.

Or have a small server in the RV. This could be on a laptop, a Nuc just for that or, even, a Shield TV which you also use as the viewing device.

Why this workaround instead of offering a cleaner solution?

I've seen this request about a dozen times now.

Having an actual server on the same device is a very "clean" solution (and powerful) IMO.

Downloading content to a device that is typically attached to a TV and a network is just not terribly high priority because so few people have that need on that platform (and it is a very complex feature).

I'm sure it is something we'll get to eventually but it is down the list.

• Like 1

So, let's say I buy a Nvidia Shield that will live in the RV.  Is there a way to setup emby so that it copies from the synology so that I essentially have two emby servers?

"Very complex feature" lol. Not really. 

jusjoken

Actually yes server on the shield + the folder sync feature.

Wow... Now I need to try this out.  Sounds like a great solution for my RV trips...thanks 

I can think of a few ways of doing this:

• Server on Synology using folder sync plugin to copy media to a folder on the Shield (will require network sharing)
  • Server on Shield, with a library pointing to a folder on the Synology, then the folder sync plugin copying it from there to a folder on the Shield
  • Or our mobile android app on the Shield using the download feature to download media. Please note, the mobile app isn't remote friendly yet so you'll need to connect a mouse to control it

• Or our mobile android app on the Shield using the download feature to download media. Please note, the mobile app isn't remote friendly yet so you'll need to connect a mouse to control it

Suggesting this reforces the need for this feature in the Android TV app itself!

jusjoken

I tried the folder sync but the nfo file for the video (Movie in my test) does not sync to the sync folder, so not sure this would work well when the offline emby server used this sync folder as a library...or am I missing the point here?  I have nfo turned on and my nfo are kept current.

Thoughts