Torrent link instead of actual video files

cmacfarlane93

cmacfarlane93

I have a suggestion that I feel could substantially reduce the amount of storage space needed to run emby server. Instead of putting actual video files in a folder, users put the torrent link instead. Emby will identify it as if it was an actual video file and users would not be able to tell the difference between actual video files or torrent links.

When a user decides to start watching a file that is a torrent link instead of an actual video, emby will then start downloading and streaming said torrent to the user. When the user finishes watching the video, emby then clears it from cache.

I understand that a massive amount of coding would have to go into something like this, however I feel it would be substantiated by how powerful that would make emby.

Happy2Play

The issues is the legality of torrenting as the media would be pirated as the viewer does not own the media.

• Like 1

cmacfarlane93

Wouldn't the legality remain unchanged since legal content can be shared on torrents? I feel like its less of a stretch than automatically detecting torrented video files and wrapping them or "identifying" them like emby already does,

shorty1483

@@cmacfarlane93 @ebr 

There is already a solution for this market, Stremio. Just speaking for german market, this program guarantees you to get a 900 Euro warning order by a lawyer working for Sony :D . In other countries, the right differ as you all know.