Media files defaulting to foreign language audio

piecesofme

piecesofme

Hello,

I’m having a few issues with Emby that I’m trying to sort out and I’m thinking that posting them separately will make the most sense. The first thing is that several of my videos (TV and Movies) that have more than audio streams are all defaulting to other languages - mostly Russian but other languages too, like Portuguese. I did the initial setup of the server with English as the default language for subtitles and I’m just not sure what’s going on or why. I’m sure it’s something somewhere in my settings but I don’t know how to fix it. 

I’m not comparing here and I’m only mentioning this because it’s what I have previous experience with and it’s reading from the same files - but Plex is defaulting to the English audio so I’m thinking that helps to say that it’s not an issue with the files themselves. Emby has so many more features and an incredible development team so I’m really wanting to understand what’s happening and why but I’m not sure where to start to figure this out. Any help would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

piecesofme

So, I was certain that something like this would exist. I found it by poking around in the user settings (before that, I had been looking for these settings in the server settings section). I did make the appropriate changes - choosing English as the preferred language and the further setting which has it play English language track regardless of whether it’s the stated default or not.

Unfortunately, it’s not working. It’s still defaulting to all sorts of foreign languages, I’ve gone back into the settings at least three or four times to be sure that I’ve checked the correct options and that they saved correctly - and they have. Have I missed something? Is there anything else I need to do to make sure that these settings get through to the server? I’m feeling really silly having several of these weird issues and not being able to figure it out. Usually, I can figure these types of things out somewhat. I’m sure we’ll get it figured out in the end. :) Any ideas on this would be really appreciated, though. Thanks so much.

Are you sure the tracks in the files are tagged properly with language?  If they aren't, there is no way for the system to know which one is English or not.

Also, did you check the check box shown above that says "Play default track regardless of language"?  If so, that would be a reason as well - because you asked us to.

Track selections are remembered per video file per user, so after changing the setting, make sure to test with something you haven't played before.

piecesofme

Track selections are remembered per video file per user, so after changing the setting, make sure to test with something you haven't played before.

Hey Luke, 

Thanks for this. It finally seems to be corrected for files that I haven’t played. It took me several tries to sort out why it wasn’t working for the one that I had played before but I think it’s also set now. :) Thanks again for all of your help.

• 2 weeks later...
piecesofme

What was the solution?

I finally found the languages setup section. It wasn’t in the server area (like the subtitles are) but it was within the user setup section. I changed the language to English and did not let it choose to play the default if it wasn’t English. The problem was, that the one title I had been testing kept going to the foreign language though, once I changed the settings, other titles played correctly. But I put 2 & 2 together when Luke said that a media title will default to the language it used previously. Once I manually changed the language on that one title, it remembered it from then on, and I was all set. :)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, mike3821 said:

Any chance this can be a global setting as well a user specific?

Hi, curious, what is the use case?

mike3821
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, curious, what is the use case?

So I don’t need to go into every single user and configure it for them. Less confusion for the end user.

• Like 1

So you really want a default setting for a new user as opposed to a global one, correct?

pwhodges

There have, I think, been other times when the idea has been suggested of either having a user template or allowing a new user to be made as a copy of an existing one.  It would allow the easy setup of default permissions and access as well, and if following the second suggestion, multiple options of those.

This strikes me as a comparatively easy thing to provide.

Paul 

3 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

There have, I think, been other times when the idea has been suggested of either having a user template or allowing a new user to be made as a copy of an existing one

Yes, that's what I was getting at - that that request would fulfill his requirement.

3 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

This strikes me as a comparatively easy thing to provide

I've got two comments for that :) 

1) Some things look a lot simpler on the outside than they are on the inside and

2) When there are 1,000 "easy" things to do, sometimes it will still take a while to get to them all (we plan to get there though)

You  actually can simulate doing this if a Premier user (and have the config backup plugin installed) and you don't mind a server restart.

You can create a "template" user that is used to model new users on.
Then you create a new user, go into backup config plugin and restore only the "template" user but select the new user to receive the info.

It then requires a server restart.  Other than the restart it works quite well for me.

PS use a template user that is never used on your system so you don't restore watched status. 

mike3821
1 hour ago, ebr said:

So you really want a default setting for a new user as opposed to a global one, correct?

Not necessarly, I just want a fast and easy way to do this at a global level. 

Default all new users or future users to using specific settings.

Edited by mike3821
  • Like 1