BLURAY MOVIES

Head21950

Head21950

i recently ripped my bluray films and placed them in my emby server, and i was trying to play them on my new sony a8g oled 4k tv using the emby android app, but even though the tv and the server are on the same network and i have a 10gb router and switch from mikrotik connected with cat8 to my tv and sfp+ OM4 fiber optic coming from my server, it stil trancodes the video to a lower quality, is there a setting i am missing or a specific way to allow bluray content to direct stream to a local source?

Happy2Play

You will need to post the ffmpeg log to see why it is transcoding. 

Head21950

when i try to view the log i get this message - The process cannot access the file '\logs\ffmpeg-transcode-a8691054-edd1-496b-ab4c-3a926e36e9cc_1.txt' because it is being used by another process.

I was expecting it to be a direct play since it was a local connection but instead it was transcoded to 1080p instead of 4k

Did you explore the server dashboard during playback to learn why it was transcoding?

Does that last message you posted explain it for you?

What is the quality (bitrate) setting in the app?

Which exact app is it?

The item you are trying to play is a 68Mb/s 4k rip and, even though you have connected the TV to a high-speed network, most TVs have pretty low speed network interfaces (100mb).  If it has a wireless option, that might actually be faster.

Happy2Play

Is the quality set to 10Mb somewhere or is Auto using that?

&VideoBitrate=9845089&AudioBitrate=384000
&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Have you tried setting the quality in the app to its max?

It would also appear this is using a WAN connection.

Edited by Happy2Play

Head21950

i am using the emby android app for my tv and the quality of the streaming is set to 10mb, ive tried setting it to 20 and it begins to lag and sputter. i have looked into what "ebr" posted about the limitations of my tv ethernet port, and it is true its a 10/100 port so i will always need to transcode to a lower quality in order to play the movies. my server has a 12 core processor, i have a mikrotik router with sfp+ connections directly to my server along with cat8 network cables and om4 fibre optic running through my whole house. i will need to look into media streaming boxes that have gigabit connectivity like the nvidea sheild or maybe the 4k roku and see if they will work instead. its very frustrating to find out my limitations are on a brand new tv.

Happy2Play

No, only if the TV is not capable of that bitrate.  What is the max bitrate quality of the app?  Is there a setting of 70Mb or higher?  Yes any setting below the bitrate of the media will transcode, and you currently loose HDR in the process.

Lots of people direct play 4k to their 100Mb ethernet connected tvs, but ever device will have different results.

But you potentially run into the exact same issues with streaming boxes also.  The are no onlines streaming services that stream any 4k material over about 25Mbs.

The TV is bound to have a wireless connection option.  Try that first and set the app quality back to "Auto".

Head21950

the max bitrate for the emby android tv app is 100mb/s, i have also tried to watch it using my wireless connection which also limited the connection to about 7mb/s. i would also like to know what the setup is for those that are able to direct play their 4k movies to their tv, i've only been able to achieve this by connecting my hardrive via usb to my tv and playing it through the tv's media player

@@Head21950 it sounds like either your network or the network adapter on the TV just can't handle the high bitrate of the video. That would explain why it plays well via usb.