Underscan after latest update

Macburp

Macburp

Is there an official fix for this?  All the video I play through extenders is framed with blue.  Are we supposed to adjust the underscan in settings?  I did try this at a value of two and saw no difference.

Upgrading to 183 solved it for me.

The values are in pixels (scaled from 720) so 2 isn't going to make much difference.  Also, you will probably need negative values.

buddyweiser

The values are in pixels (scaled from 720) so 2 isn't going to make much difference.  Also, you will probably need negative values.

After setting my values to 24/24/45/45(negative), the MediaBrowser overlay stretches across the full screen, however, the backdrops and now playing video both continue to appear with borders. This is after updating to the 182 dev version. Would a log file be helpful here @@ebr?

No, a log file isn't going to tell me anything unfortunately.

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you as others have confirmed it does.  Perhaps some screen shots of the settings and result...?

buddyweiser

No, a log file isn't going to tell me anything unfortunately.

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you as others have confirmed it does.  Perhaps some screen shots of the settings and result...?

I'm not sure i can do an actual screen shot, since I only have the issue on the xbox 360 extender, and not the pc extending to the 360. The best I can do is poor pics from my phone lol. I'll get some up.

buddyweiser

Here goes. It's hard to see the borders in some of the pics due to lighting.

35lde00.jpg

16ggzk5.jpg

As you can see in the following, adjusting the under/overscan values affected the menu's and weather, stretching them to the edge of the screen.

2vcj52g.jpg

2uxzq89.jpg

2m3h9i9.jpg

2znn9dt.jpg

ive3ki.jpg

ig9hde.jpg

Hope this helps. If you need something more specific let me know.

buddyweiser

@@ebr is there anything else i can provide for you? I really like the new player interface but I have it disabled so that the video can show full-screen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

@@ebr is there anything else i can provide for you? I really like the new player interface but I have it disabled so that the video can show full-screen.

A video of you chucking your 360 in the trash bin..? ;)

I've been away for several days.  I'll see if anything else can be done here when I get home.  However, others have said that they are able to get this to work with the new controls so I'd try changing the tv type in WMC setup and any other setup-specific things you can on your end.

I've been away for several days.  I'll see if anything else can be done here when I get home.  However, others have said that they are able to get this to work with the new controls so I'd try changing the tv type in WMC setup and any other setup-specific things you can on your end.

I've done this to no avail as well.  Disabled for now (probably forever, I don't particularly care for the loss of 91 play not going to minute 91).

buddyweiser

I've been away for several days. I'll see if anything else can be done here when I get home. However, others have said that they are able to get this to work with the new controls so I'd try changing the tv type in WMC setup and any other setup-specific things you can on your end.

No problem, I just hadn't seen a response in a while. I wish I could afford to chuck the 360 and build the htpc that I really want, but priorities, priorities. I'll try to play around with the settings when I get a chance. All I've done before is to made sure to have flat panel selected for TV.

Larry SA

I've noticed that overscan setting for one theme wont work on a other theme.

@@ebr any way we can have themes have their own overscan values?

@@ebr any way we can have themes have their own overscan values?

What is different?  All the themes should be implementing the exact same thing.

gator99

I am also getting used to the new player, but I mostly use xbox's (Sorry ebr ) I am running 3.1.182 and running Chocolate theme and notice that when I set the underscan it works but it changes the player controls back to the original WMC controls interface not the new one and then I also notice when I finish watching a movie and start another, I have to re-do the underscan settings each time.  

Is that how it is suppose to work? 

I am also getting used to the new player, but I mostly use xbox's (Sorry ebr ) I am running 3.1.182 and running Chocolate theme and notice that when I set the underscan it works but it changes the player controls back to the original WMC controls interface not the new one and then I also notice when I finish watching a movie and start another, I have to re-do the underscan settings each time.  

Is that how it is suppose to work? 

No, that doesn't make any sense.  The underscan amounts have no relation to whether or not the new interface is used.  Whatever you saw there was some other coincidence.

Also, the values are saved when modified so I don't understand that either.  However, they do have to be set for each extender.

gator99

I'll look at it again,  Why does the new player interface create the underscan?  Also, by changing underscan/overscan - how is the affecting 1:1 pixels on displays?

techywarrior

I'll look at it again,  Why does the new player interface create the underscan?  Also, by changing underscan/overscan - how is the affecting 1:1 pixels on displays?

The new player isn't "creating" underscan. It's a byproduct of the new player being an overlay with the "player" being a windowed full screen behind it. If you have under/over scan with the new player then you actually don't have 1:1 pixel display currently. If you did there wouldn't be any under/over scan.

Most likely you have under/over scan correction being applied by your video driver (or possibly the TV itself). This is actually effecting the pixels.

NOTE: The under/over scan stuff above may not be true for extenders. I don't know exactly how RDP effects what it perceives as the monitor resolution.

gator99

thank you techywarrior, I mostly use my extenders and only use my HTPC on occasion on my projector, which when I test the new MBC it does not need the overscan/underscan adjustment.

AJNinGA

Thanks to CBers guide. That fixed the under scan in the menu system...playing videos I didn't have any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CBers

So, does the overscan guide need updating, or does something need adding for extenders?

Yeah, I guess so.  Instead of directing people to edit the xml just direct them to the settings in the advanced panel inside MBC.  You can only see the Advanced panel if logged in as an admin.

This makes it much easier to modify for extenders because you can do it right there in the interface on the extender.

buddyweiser

After attempting to change the WMC setup, I have found it is extremely limited. You cannot change the tv type in an extender, or hardly any other setup configurations...I'm not sure what else to do :(

coolspot

Someone mentioned the registry key for the underscan/overscan change to be this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings

that's not true...

you can only access the registry key you need to when you xbox 360 has media center turned on.

for me it's under

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2524208145-3360545369-606345252-1004\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings

You'll have to find out which user your Media Center Extender uses.  Go look under HKEY_Users...note what's there.  Then turn on the xbox 360 in media center mode and go look again...you'll see added user.  Make the changes to the "marginSaved" top, bottom, left, right that you need.  Then restart your xbox and fiddle with it until it's right.

Each Xbox 360 has it's own HKEY_USER that only appears when it's in media center mode.

I found this worked better than messing with the xml file.

• Like 1

dmtudder

Hey smart folks,

I'm not sure if i'm having a similar issue.  I'm running MB3/MB classic on win 7.  and just updated to beta to watch multi file videos.  After I did I have a blue border around my movie where before the movie filled the whole screen.  I've played with the scan settings and shrunk the border but I still lose much real estate.  Is there a way to overlay the controls and maximize the video????

buddyweiser

Someone mentioned the registry key for the underscan/overscan change to be this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings

that's not true...

you can only access the registry key you need to when you xbox 360 has media center turned on.

for me it's under

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2524208145-3360545369-606345252-1004\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings

You'll have to find out which user your Media Center Extender uses.  Go look under HKEY_Users...note what's there.  Then turn on the xbox 360 in media center mode and go look again...you'll see added user.  Make the changes to the "marginSaved" top, bottom, left, right that you need.  Then restart your xbox and fiddle with it until it's right.

Each Xbox 360 has it's own HKEY_USER that only appears when it's in media center mode.

I found this worked better than messing with the xml file.

FANTASTIC!!

@@ebr I am purely ecstatic to have this issue solved! It was just as @@coolspot said, there was a separate user for the xbox360, and when I looked in it, there were pre-defined values for marginBottom(29), marginLeft(37), marginRight(37), and marginTop(29). I reset these values to 0(after viewing the media center values in another user), and VOILA! Everything is back to normal! Thankyou SO much @@coolspot! @@CBers you can determine if the guide needs updating. I read that guide a few times, but I think it would have been VERY helpful if I had known there was an invisible user(only visible when the xbox is in media center mode) that had to be modified to solve this issue :D Now I'm going to go enjoy this new player interface some more B)

• Like 2

mariors44

FANTASTIC!!

@@ebr I am purely ecstatic to have this issue solved! It was just as @@coolspot said, there was a separate user for the xbox360, and when I looked in it, there were pre-defined values for marginBottom(29), marginLeft(37), marginRight(37), and marginTop(29). I reset these values to 0(after viewing the media center values in another user), and VOILA! Everything is back to normal! Thankyou SO much @@coolspot! @@CBers you can determine if the guide needs updating. I read that guide a few times, but I think it would have been VERY helpful if I had known there was an invisible user(only visible when the xbox is in media center mode) that had to be modified to solve this issue :D Now I'm going to go enjoy this new player interface some more B)

I too I'm have this problem with extender and every time I change the values from  MCE.PerUserSettings to all 0 then restart Xbox 360 they return back to what you have 29,37,37,29. I don,t know why it is being over written.